View topic - Skateboarding in Japan??

Skateboarding in Japan??

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Skateboarding in Japan??

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 02.02.2007 1:35 pm

lemonaid wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
http://skateboard.about.com/cs/boardscience/a/sk8inJapan.htm

here is a small article about skate parks in Japan. with other links at the bottom

I beat you to it ;) Two posts above yours.

my apologies, I totally missed your post.. I can't believe I didnt' even see it..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby poppop » Fri 02.02.2007 2:39 pm

i've been woundering this myself and i found those articles above.. but i also found this.
http://www.j-skateboard.com/ some interviews and skateparks :)
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby burstandbloom » Sun 02.11.2007 2:20 am

i think it's an odd method of payment to skate at some of these skateparks in japan. most of them say so many yen for however many hours, then so many after that. I don't know if this is a common way of payment for places like that in Japan, but skateparks in america are usually like 10-15 dollars for a whole session. I guess it's kind of the same, but the duration of time is a lot different. It also looks like some of these outdoor skateparks in Japan you have to pay to skate, I have yet to see or hear of an outdoor skatepark anywhere in the US that you have to pay for, only indoor parks.
Last edited by burstandbloom on Sun 02.11.2007 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.12.2007 12:43 pm

From what I gather, the Japanese have their priorities straight and don't spend a whole day pimping their skateboards. There are outdoor parks that you pay at, but they are usually privately owned. there are some in California and one or two in Hawaii if my memory serves me.. (OF course, they could have closed down too for that matter, it was 10 years ago when I saw them)
two_heads_talking

Postby BetterSense » Sun 02.18.2007 3:55 pm

I wonder about longboarding. If I ever went to japan, I would want to use my longboard, in a strictly transportation role.
BetterSense

Postby burstandbloom » Wed 02.21.2007 4:23 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
From what I gather, the Japanese have their priorities straight and don't spend a whole day pimping their skateboards.

I'm not sure I really understand that statement. What do you mean?
Last edited by burstandbloom on Wed 02.21.2007 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby poppop » Sat 02.24.2007 9:47 am

burstandbloom wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
From what I gather, the Japanese have their priorities straight and don't spend a whole day pimping their skateboards.

I'm not sure I really understand that statement. What do you mean?

i think he mwans something like.. that the Japanese don't buy the most expensive boards with the coolest art under the board.. but if he would mean that i still wouldn't undetsand :P.. cause i just for example buy the boards with the shape i like... blank boards... because they r cheap.. i just wanna skate, not look cool
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Re: Skateboarding in Japan??

Postby Disco » Thu 04.16.2009 7:24 pm

Seconding BetterSense, what about using a skateboard for transportation? Here in the states, I just got a $395 fine and 25 hours of community service JUST for skateboarding past a rite aid. Land of the free?
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby chikara » Fri 04.17.2009 12:15 am

:shock:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 04.17.2009 9:05 am

Disco wrote:Seconding BetterSense, what about using a skateboard for transportation? Here in the states, I just got a $395 fine and 25 hours of community service JUST for skateboarding past a rite aid. Land of the free?

Hey freedom isn't just being able to do what you want to do where you want to do it. But I understand why most youngsters feel that way. It's the same lame excuse that many use to claim they have the right to say whatever they want and then say it's under the freespeech act.. I'd not expect any teenagers to really understand those rights anyways, as most of you haven't read it, let alone understood what it all means.. You just repeat what you heard someone else say, who heard it from someone, who watched amovie about sit ins in the 60's and 70's.

We include anti skateboard pips on some of our concrete products just for those @$$hats that think every incline is a grind surface. that 395 dollar fine and community service is nothing compared to the repairs that have to be worked on many surfaces after some boarder does his business. Last year alone our company charged a total of 235,000 dollars for repairs to various surfaces that boarders were using to try their new tricks.. Even with a posted "do not skate" sign, of course this is a bullseye for most skaters as they test their moxy and see how much they can get away with, and then act all depressed when someone asks them if they can read.

Rite Aid also has had issues with boarders as people are trying to get in and out of the store and have to dodge the boarders as they move about.

don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against any boarder, but that's what a skate park is for.

anyways my rants over..
two_heads_talking

Postby Disco » Fri 04.17.2009 6:01 pm

Yeah, when I go trick skating, I go to the SKATEPARK. My issue is that I unfairly singled out by a more than pissed off policeman , not doing any tricks, not NEAR the entrance of the store, and just passing by, and unfairly punished. Why I explain my situation here is to ask; if I'm skating down the sidewalk of some pleasant suburb in Japan(purely for transportation), will I face a situation similar to the one I've faced here in the states? Or is it just walk/drive in japan?
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby AJBryant » Fri 04.17.2009 6:51 pm

Pretty much walk and ride (subways/trains). I knew only a couple of folks with cars; a few more with scooters. Most of the time, the sidewalks are too crowded for skateboarding, and when you're not on them they're just bulky and in the way.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 04.20.2009 9:23 am

Disco wrote:Yeah, when I go trick skating, I go to the SKATEPARK. My issue is that I unfairly singled out by a more than pissed off policeman , not doing any tricks, not NEAR the entrance of the store, and just passing by, and unfairly punished. Why I explain my situation here is to ask; if I'm skating down the sidewalk of some pleasant suburb in Japan(purely for transportation), will I face a situation similar to the one I've faced here in the states? Or is it just walk/drive in japan?

there are alot of people on the sidewalks in Japan. You'll find that you will spend more time holding your board than actually doing any skateboarding. Especially if you are downtown. In a large city (metropolitan) you can forget the board.
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan