Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How fast do you move through your textbook?

How fast do you move through your textbook?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How fast do you move through your textbook?

Postby leonl » Wed 04.15.2009 2:44 pm

Textbook users how fast do you move through your textbook, one chapter a week, one and half, or two? What pace works well for you? While I like my Japanese teacher, I am finding I cannot stand the book or how we use it in class for that matter. So I'm supplementing my studies in class with Japanese For everyone. The problem with this is I know most of the grammar introduced in the first six chapters, but none of the kanji, since we don't really cover kanji in class despite being more than halfway through the book. So, self studiers in particular what pace works well for you?, Particularly if you are just reviewing material instead of learning new things?
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Re: How fast do you move through your textbook?

Postby Infidel » Wed 04.15.2009 5:57 pm

This really isn't something that you can get useful answeres for. Some books are made to move through quickly with many small chapters, others have in-depth chapters that are relatively long as well. So every book is going to have a different natural speed. Then factor in people's individual dedication and ability and you won't get any useful answers at all. Maybe if you limit it to one book so the answers all come in context.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Disco » Wed 04.15.2009 7:10 pm

I agree with infidel. I am a self studier. I was switching around book to book trying to learn all this information from different sources, until I just bought a textbook and just stuck with it. Everything was covered and I started making some real progress. I do all of the activities and the kanji practice. For my textbook all the chapters are long and in-depth, and I often think my progress isn't going as fast as it should be. But you have to reinforce the knowledge you have learned by practice and repetition. If I don't remember something from a previous chapter, I go back and review it. I have no set time to spend really for each chapter, because they all have different content. As for Kanji, I usually write it out in the practice problems ( with a furigana caption MAYBE if it's an unfamiliar kanji). And as I go through the problems, the kanji sticks because I'm using it so much. You can't remember ALL of them, but the important ones stick. Also, you can use a( http://www.lo-la.co.uk/2007/11/15/kanji-fun/ ) nintendo DS to practice your kanji. *One MORE source that I think is quite beneficial is edufire.com . They have flashcards to do, and live video lessons where you can talk to the teacher, ask questions and practice. Even if your not in a Japanese class, there are a LOT of things out there to make up for that. ご成功を祈ります。
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Wed 04.15.2009 9:58 pm

Infidel wrote:This really isn't something that you can get useful answeres for. Some books are made to move through quickly with many small chapters, others have in-depth chapters that are relatively long as well. So every book is going to have a different natural speed. Then factor in people's individual dedication and ability and you won't get any useful answers at all. Maybe if you limit it to one book so the answers all come in context.

Then to make things even worse, there are people like me. I've done over half of JFBP1, but only studying the spoken dialogues, not the actual exercises. :mrgreen: (The idea is to learn new vocabulary and grammar through the spoken dialogues as much as I can, since I want to practice the spoken language in my flash cards as much as possible. If I make flash cards out of the written exercises, I might end up skipping sentences in later spoken exercises because I'd already have those words covered, so I wouldn't benefit from the spoken dialogue so much.) So I'm "halfway through" JFBP1 but I've actually done a fraction of the total work. :P

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby nukemarine » Thu 04.16.2009 3:08 am

I'm doing about 20 to 30 example sentences a day (~1 hour of study). That's after about 1 hour of reviewing previously studied material (~120 sentences or equivalent). Now, this is not via a text book, but the situation should correspond. Basically, the more you study per day, consistently, the faster you get through. Saying a I did JFBG Two in 4 weeks means nothing if I didn't tell you how many hours of actually studying that involved.

For your second question (reviewing time), I guess for me I able to review 4 times as much as when I'm learning new items. Granted, when I study a new sentence it's: Write out word in Kanji, write out word in kana, write out the sentence in kanji. When I'm reviewing it's either: Read out the sentence and know what it means, or Listen to the sentence and write out the key vocabulary word in Kanji.

Vocabulary sentences when I did them involve typing them out, which is about 60 sentences reviewed per hour and 15 new per hour.
nukemarine

Postby Riza » Thu 04.16.2009 4:29 pm

I've been using Genki 1 for for months. I'm only in lesson 10. I could have finished it in the past two weeks, but had no motivation whatsoever and couldn't. I tried, but without motivation I can't understand the grammar. Well, I'm back now, and I intend to finish it in less than one month, before tests start. Lesson 10 is really easy btw. The worst so far was the 9 th.

I could have easily have finished it in February but I too lazy and had LOTS of essays, tests, works, and portfolios to do for school.

I study 2~4 hours a day know that I'm back.
Riza

Native language: portuguese

Postby monkeykoder » Thu 04.16.2009 5:57 pm

1.117ghz.
monkeykoder

Postby leonl » Thu 04.16.2009 6:59 pm

Thank you everyone your replies have been very insightful whether you intended them to be or not
monkeykoder wrote:1.117ghz.
leonl

Postby astaroth » Thu 04.16.2009 9:03 pm

monkeykoder wrote:1.117ghz.

should be GHz ... and that's a frequency not a speed ... ;)
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby furrykef » Thu 04.16.2009 11:01 pm

astaroth wrote:and that's a frequency not a speed ... ;)

Well, a frequency is a speed. It's the speed at which you go back and forth! ;)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby astaroth » Thu 04.16.2009 11:21 pm

furrykef wrote:Well, a frequency is a speed. It's the speed at which you go back and forth! ;)

I know but I prefer a linear approach when studying a textbook ... ;)
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby monkeykoder » Thu 04.16.2009 11:45 pm

No I go through 1.117billion textbooks per second.
monkeykoder

Postby Infidel » Fri 04.17.2009 12:54 am

astaroth wrote:
furrykef wrote:Well, a frequency is a speed. It's the speed at which you go back and forth! ;)

Linear never worked for me. Skip to the chapter word list, turn back to the dialog. Forward to the romanized transliteration, turn back to dialog. Forward to the translation, back to check. Read grammar explainations. Do exercises with frequent double checks back at the dialog or grammar explanations.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby leonl » Fri 04.17.2009 1:07 am

Infidel wrote:
astaroth wrote:

Linear never worked for me. Skip to the chapter word list, turn back to the dialog. Forward to the romanized transliteration, turn back to dialog. Forward to the translation, back to check. Read grammar explainations. Do exercises with frequent double checks back at the dialog or grammar explanations.

This is generally how I do it, which is why I wish that more books put the vocab list in the front of the chapter instead of the back.
leonl

Postby Triddy » Tue 04.21.2009 3:11 am

Hmm, I can provide somewhat relevant insight to leonl, I was in an identical situation.

For the first 8 chapters, it took me two weeks. Not each, but total. Trust me, the kanji in the first eight chapters are BEYOND simplistic. You will pick them up in the rest of the book. All the grammer and about 90% of the words were covered in my Japanese class. I just went through, did all the exercises, and listened to a few of the dialogs.

Beyond that, I average about a week and a half per lesson. I have the feeling that I am going slightly too fast, but at the same time, I can't see using more than 2 weeks per lesson. There are a couple of exceptions though. I had a terrible time with both Chapter 10, and Chapter 15. They introduced a bunch of new grammar, and the vocab was a bit out of order. These two took me two and a half weeks each.
Triddy

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips