Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Obtaining a Travel Visa

Obtaining a Travel Visa

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Obtaining a Travel Visa

Postby Stone_Cold » Mon 04.20.2009 4:36 am

I'm completely new when it comes to traveling outside America. I've been trying to figure out how to obtain my travel visa for visiting Japan. Thus far I've learned that there are different types of visas and I'm considering a 90day (maximum) visa or a long-term visa for visiting Japan multiple times. Again, I'm completely new when it comes to traveling to Japan and I'm not sure what steps I should take. Can someone please help me? My head is starting to feel numb... major overload. I'm considering in the long-term obtaining permanent residence or naturalization. Though, permanent stay/naturalization isn't something I'm considering for right now, but I'm just looking into the details.

Note. I'm not home in NC, but instead I'm in Minnesota for unspecified reasons.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Re: Obtaining a Travel Visa

Postby JaySee » Mon 04.20.2009 5:08 am

If you're planning on staying in Japan for less than 90 days, you can fill in a visa waiver form on the airplane, hand it in at the airport customs service, and you're done... no need to arrange things in advance (at least this is the procedure for Europeans, but I'll eat my hat if it doesn't also go for Americans).

Long term visas are a whole different story and much more difficult to get. In order to receive one you basically need to have a specific purpose for being in Japan (work, university, etc.) other than just tourism, and be able to show proof for this. Usually these visas are taken care of for you by the company you'll be working at or the university you'll be attending.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby spin13 » Mon 04.20.2009 10:07 am

Stone_Cold wrote:I'm considering in the long-term obtaining permanent residence or naturalization. Though, permanent stay/naturalization isn't something I'm considering for right now, but I'm just looking into the details.

Ahahaha.

JaySee wrote:If you're planning on staying in Japan for less than 90 days, you can fill in a visa waiver form on the airplane, hand it in at the airport customs service, and you're done... no need to arrange things in advance (at least this is the procedure for Europeans, but I'll eat my hat if it doesn't also go for Americans).

I'd love to see you eat your hat, but I'm afraid you're correct. Same deal for the US, Canada, and I believe Mexico as well. A few select countries (notably in SE Asia) have stricter requirements, but most Japan enjoys a relaxed, presumably mutual tourism policy with many countries. Working holiday visas is where the US falls flat.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby Stone_Cold » Mon 04.20.2009 4:57 pm

JaySee wrote:If you're planning on staying in Japan for less than 90 days, you can fill in a visa waiver form on the airplane, hand it in at the airport customs service, and you're done... no need to arrange things in advance (at least this is the procedure for Europeans, but I'll eat my hat if it doesn't also go for Americans).

Long term visas are a whole different story and much more difficult to get. In order to receive one you basically need to have a specific purpose for being in Japan (work, university, etc.) other than just tourism, and be able to show proof for this. Usually these visas are taken care of for you by the company you'll be working at or the university you'll be attending.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html#entry_requirements wrote:The U.S. Embassy or our consulates cannot "vouch for" a U.S. citizen without a valid passport, and passport services are not available at the airport. In some prior instances, travelers have been returned immediately to the U.S., while in other cases, they have been issued 24-hour "shore passes" and were required to return the next day to Japanese Immigration for lengthy processing.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html#entry_requirements wrote:Many Asian countries require that travelers hold passports valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of entry into the country.

Consulate-General of Japan in Atlanta: http://www.atlanta.us.emb-japan.go.jp/VisitingJapan.htm
在アトランタ日本国総領事館: http://www.atlanta.us.emb-japan.go.jp/n ... index.html
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby JaySee » Mon 04.20.2009 6:19 pm

Well, yeah, you'll need a passport... I didn't mention that because I thought it was kind of obvious.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Stone_Cold » Mon 04.20.2009 6:34 pm

Yea, I know, but I figured I'd put that anyway so others could be aware.
Stone_Cold

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 04.20.2009 8:00 pm

since you put naturalization up there, I think I'll just mention that Japan does not allow dual-citizenship.
So if you want to become a Japanese citizen (different from a permanent visa) then you have to renounce your American citizenship.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Stone_Cold » Mon 04.20.2009 8:53 pm

Naturalization

Foreigners, who have resided in Japan for at least five consecutive years (less if married to a Japanese national), have shown good conduct, have never plotted against the Japanese government, have sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living and are willing to renounce any other citizenship held, can be granted Japanese citizenship.

I'm aware that in order to become a Japanese citizen you must renounce your United States (wherever) citizenship. I wouldn't renounce my citizenship unless I find Japan truly home. Not because I like Asia or etc... Otherwise I might hold residence after visiting Japan enough times. There's allot I still need to do here in America before I can live in Japan. For now I'm going to be visiting Japan.
Stone_Cold

Postby Stone_Cold » Mon 04.20.2009 9:17 pm

Permanent residence

Foreign residents who have shown good conduct and have sufficient assets or ability to make an independent living, can be granted permanent residence if they reside in Japan for typically ten or more consecutive years (less in case of spouses of Japanese nationals and people who have made significant contributions to Japanese society). Permanent residence status is indefinite and allows any paid activity.
Stone_Cold

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan