Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Who here studies languages just for the hell of it?

Who here studies languages just for the hell of it?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: Who here studies languages just for the hell of it?

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 04.02.2009 7:03 pm

Interesting thread!

I agree with the poster who said "Why else learn a language?"

I didn't have a particular reason for learning Japanese, and perhaps I still don't. My interest simply grew out of curiosity, and the more I learned about Japanese, the more I came to find it fascinating, and the more I began to like it. I've come to like Japanese language and culture, and I have plenty of chances to use it. Other than that, I have no reason to study Japanese in particular.

I like learning in general - learning, exploring, and trying out new things is almost like a hobby to me. Most I just try out of curiosity and move on, but a few, like Japanese, I wind up sticking with, and they prove to be very rewarding and worthwhile.

Ultimately, I'd like to try out Italian, French, German, Korean, Mandarin and/or Cantonese (I'm more interesting in learning to read than speak Chinese, but I suppose to some degree you can't separate those aspects) and bring my Japanese to a truly "fluent" (as in, indistinguishable from a native speaker) level. I'm pretty sure I will reach my goal with Japanese eventually, though I'm also pretty sure that will take quite some time yet. But, I'm in no hurry. As for the other languages, I will try them all out at some point. Some of them, I'll probably pursue as I did/am doing so with Japanese, and others I won't. The important thing is giving them a try, I think.

I've also been taking a Spanish class this semester. I can't imagine an easier language. But honestly, it's not interesting me that much - the language itself doesn't particularly interest me, nor does Latin-American culture in general. If this changes as I learn more, I may continue with it, but I have the feeling it's just not a language for me. Even if I do not continue with it, though, I don't think it will have been a meaningless endeavor. It satisfied my curiosity, gave me some general knowledge, and if nothing else, I learned that it wasn't for me.
CajunCoder

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Tue 04.14.2009 5:23 pm

However, studying languages does get me confused a LOT of the time. Japanese is my second tongue, with French and Spanish following that. So when I forget a word in the other two, since I'm not speaking English the Japanese word sometimes pops up...

So, I was at home chattering away to myself (really to my mother but she doesn't habla espanol so :P) trying to say "I have eaten this before," but I forgot the word for 'to eat' (comer, dumbnuts).

Let's just say that Spanish conjugations of Japanese words are NOT pretty...

And "Yo he tabido" is not proper either. (_ _')
AkiKaza-chan

Postby furrykef » Tue 04.14.2009 5:34 pm

AkiKaza-chan wrote:Let's just say that Spanish conjugations of Japanese words are NOT pretty...

¡Hola, AkiKaza-chan! Boku también creo que muy mal suena-masu. Lo haga-naide kudasai. ;)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Disco » Tue 04.14.2009 6:50 pm

Learning other languages is fun. Imagine how boring the world would be if everybody in it spoke just one language (*cough*english...). It's good to be bi (or tri+)lingual. You get to experience more things from different cultures and open new opportunity socially (or career wise).
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Native language: English

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 04.14.2009 9:24 pm

Disco wrote:It's good to be bi

Speaking of being bi.
Gundaetiapo

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Thu 04.16.2009 8:15 pm

furrykef wrote:¡Hola, AkiKaza-chan! Boku también creo que muy mal suena-masu. Lo haga-naide kudasai. ;)

Is it weird that I understood that perfectly? 8)
AkiKaza-chan

Postby Roy Candler » Wed 04.22.2009 3:55 pm

This has been a very interesting thread, which has left me wondering . . . how would you say "just for the hell of it" in Japanese?

A Japanese person has asked me why I am studying the language, . . . and I ask it of myself quite often(!) "Just for the hell of it" sums it up for me - any thoughts?
Roy Candler

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 04.22.2009 4:09 pm

理由はとくにない I think works.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion