Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do I practice Transistive and Intransistive verbs?

How do I practice Transistive and Intransistive verbs?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How do I practice Transistive and Intransistive verbs?

Postby kentaku_sama » Wed 04.22.2009 11:43 pm

I' have no idea how to practice this and learn the right one to use. Someone please suggest something.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: How do I practice Transistive and Intransistive verbs?

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 04.22.2009 11:47 pm

Have you followed the suggestions to get a text book yet? Working through it systematically will be much more beneficial to you in the long run than just choosing random topics and cramming them.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby welldone101 » Wed 04.22.2009 11:52 pm

I find when similar objects confuse me it's best to get them all in the same place to I can think of a system for differentiate them from each other. With that idea in mind, always study transitive / intransitive verbs with their pairs. In my opinion. I also like to group lots of verb pairs together if they follow the same kind of pronunciation changes when changing verbs.
welldone101

Postby kentaku_sama » Thu 04.23.2009 12:31 am

Have you followed the suggestions to get a text book yet? Working through it systematically will be much more beneficial to you in the long run than just choosing random topics and cramming them.

I said I was getting genki next month.
kentaku_sama

Postby furrykef » Thu 04.23.2009 12:32 am

I'm kinda confused on what the problem is. Intransitive means the verb doesn't take an object. Transitive means it does (although the object may be implied). Generally, when you have a pair of verbs ending in -aru and -eru, the -aru verb is the intransitive one and the -eru one is the transitive one. There are transitive/intransitive pairs that do not follow this pattern, but that is simply a matter of memorization.

If you're having problems with transitive vs. intransitive verbs, why not post some sentences where you don't understand why the particular verb form was chosen, and we'll explain them for you?

BTW, it's spelled "[in]transitive", not "[in]transistive".

kentaku_sama wrote:I said I was getting genki next month.

Well, I doubt many of us really keep track of who's using/buying what books from thread to thread. ^^;

Quick! What book am I using right now?

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 04.23.2009 1:01 am

kentaku_sama wrote:I said I was getting genki next month.

Sorry, that must have escaped me. I apologize.

Quick! What book am I using right now?

RTK2?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby furrykef » Thu 04.23.2009 1:06 am

Wrong! JFBP1! :)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby astaroth » Thu 04.23.2009 11:46 am

furrykef wrote:I'm kinda confused on what the problem is. Intransitive means the verb doesn't take an object. Transitive means it does (although the object may be implied). Generally, when you have a pair of verbs ending in -aru and -eru, the -aru verb is the intransitive one and the -eru one is the transitive one. There are transitive/intransitive pairs that do not follow this pattern, but that is simply a matter of memorization.

By the way -- I didn't get to that point of grammar yet, and I'm just learning vocabulary, verbs in particular following the MnN -- but I notice many verbs in Japanese have a transitive form and an intransitive one. Is it true for any verb?
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby kentaku_sama » Thu 04.23.2009 12:55 pm

Sorry, that must have escaped me. I apologize.

That's ok.

Posting sentences, hmm, I guess, but I'd need to use reference for the transitive and intransitive verbs.

Here's some  

I think these are the two for "To go up, to climb etc..."

上る    Intransitive 
上げる  Transitive

今朝、 山を上げた。   I went up the mountain
    川に人は落ちるので、 川は上げっています。   Because a man falls into a river, it will carry him up(stream). This one is probably wrong because I bet my self 10000 yen that it's different for talking about up a river.

The only one I can think of right now for this intransitive verb is "The balloon ascended into the sky."
バルーンが上りました

彼はおかしな消えるをしりました。  He strangely disappeared.    

私の絵を消しました。  He erased my drawing.       
kentaku_sama

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 04.23.2009 5:24 pm

furrykef wrote:I'm kinda confused on what the problem is. Intransitive means the verb doesn't take an object. Transitive means it does (although the object may be implied).

The problem is that American kids aren't taught grammar in school anymore so when they decide (or are forced) to learn a foreign language they run into these concepts for the first time.

There's nothing particularly hard about the idea of transitive/intransitive. He's been using them all his life; he just hasn't been aware of it.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby astaroth » Thu 04.23.2009 5:36 pm

Mike Cash wrote:The problem is that American kids aren't taught grammar in school anymore so when they decide (or are forced) to learn a foreign language they run into these concepts for the first time.

I think another problem is that in English it's possible to make a passive of an intransitive verb. That the passive form is used only for transitive verbs is a stricter differentiation, at least in Italian.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 04.23.2009 5:49 pm

Well, there is at least some challenge because in most cases in English, we don't have separate verbs (they're called "ergative verbs" or "accusative verbs" when they can be either transitive or intransitive, depending on how they function).

But I totally agree with you on the grammar thing; a lot of times I have to start my lessons by first teaching them that they already know the basic concept from English before I can teach them the Japanese.

Astaroth: You can't make intransitive verbs passive in English.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby astaroth » Thu 04.23.2009 5:53 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Astaroth: You can't make intransitive verbs passive in English.

What about "I was supposed" ... isn't to suppose an intransitive verb? ... I'm just now very confused ... :oops:

[edit] to suppose is transitive ... I got confused because to tell is intransitive in Italian but transitive in English ... that's my problem :(
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 04.24.2009 12:39 am

I thought someone would correct my sentences.
kentaku_sama

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 04.24.2009 12:47 am

kentaku_sama wrote:上る    Intransitive 
上げる  Transitive

今朝、 山を上げた。I went up the mountain
川に人は落ちるので、川は上げっていますBecause a man falls into a river, it will carry him up(stream).
This one is probably wrong because I bet my self 10000 yen that it's different for talking about up a river.

Unfortunately almost all of the examples you chose wouldn't use 上げる/上がる in Japanese.

彼はおかしな消えるをしりました。He strangely disappeared.    
私の絵を消しました。He erased my drawing.

I'm not really sure where you got the first one from. It should just be 彼が消えました.
The second is actually OK.  
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips