Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Weapons

Weapons

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Weapons

Postby factoid » Mon 05.04.2009 11:10 am

I'm really pleased to find this informative discussion going on.

For the record, most *(small) pocket knives just aren't considered to be weapons in the U.S. I carry a small knife (http://heavylittleobjects.com/?p=1515) for the same reason most other knife-carrying Americans do - because it's an incredibly useful tool.

I use it for opening those horrible plastic "blister" packages that electronics are sold in, I trim newspaper clippings, I cut up fruit for the kids if we're picnicking or just heading out in the car for the day, it's good for cutting twine if I'm tying things together or strapping something to the car, and if the need strikes, I can always clean my battery terminals or pick my teeth with it.

So, we're traveling to Japan in July, and I thought I should check out the laws regarding knife possession. Glad I did. You see, I had to learn the hard way when we visited England last summer: http://heavylittleobjects.com/?p=796
factoid

Native language: english

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 05.04.2009 1:14 pm

Hey factoid, oddly enough, I've read your blog before.. didn't know you posted or lurked here at all. lol small world..

I'm not a big fan of damascus steel, I just keep thinking the metal will flake off or that it will break on one of those pretty seams.. It looks cool enough and if I'm going to display it, it's great, but I just don't get sort of feeling about it as a 'tool' metal.

I love the Air Ranger too. A friend of mine, gave me one and I've misplaced it somewhere during a recent move and feel naked without it. I have a standby pocket knife that almost always doesn't function at all that frustrates me to no end (need to get a new one, but need some cash first).

As you can tell, since cubscouts and my 'chip 'n' tote' card, I've carried a pocket knife. In some cases I have a leatherman (or similar tool) and a swiss Army knife (or similar tool) and a pocket knife. I usually carry the leatherman and Swiss in sheaths and the pocket knife, where it belongs, in my pocket..

I'm sorry to hear that they confiscated it and didn't give it back.. You'd think, as cheap as post is, they'd mail it back to you in short order.. I always the UK was civil that way, perhaps it's just appearance.. With Hand guns being pretty much illegal in the UK it's not really a wonder though that stabbing are so high, I'd imagine that bludgeons are a pretty effective weapon too. Hmm, do they control or ban cricket bats? those things are much more deadly in my mind than a pocket knife.. (yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate here)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Mon 05.04.2009 4:47 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:I'm not a big fan of damascus steel, I just keep thinking the metal will flake off or that it will break on one of those pretty seams.

I don't think you really grok damascus steel. There's a reason it's called pattern-WELDED. Look closely at a Japanese sword sometime, and you'll see the exact same thing -- the results of folding over and over and hammer welding.

Those things are solid, single pieces. They're not flaking. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.05.2009 8:31 am

AJBryant wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:I'm not a big fan of damascus steel, I just keep thinking the metal will flake off or that it will break on one of those pretty seams.

I don't think you really grok damascus steel. There's a reason it's called pattern-WELDED. Look closely at a Japanese sword sometime, and you'll see the exact same thing -- the results of folding over and over and hammer welding.

Those things are solid, single pieces. They're not flaking. :)

Tony

Oh, believe me, I'm aware they won't flake, It's just hard to get past the "man that's going to split on me" feeling. (it's like that old don't turn the stamp towards the pitcher when batting or the bat will break more easily syndrome.. It won't really happen, but back in the day it used to so everyone still has the "superstition" of it in the back of their mind.) And Honestly, Every Katana I've seen I've only noticed the folds in the sharpest parts of the blade, not the whole thing.. That's why the Damascus stuff freaks me out so much.. lol.. I have a very nice kitchen knife that I brought back from Japan that you can see the folds in as well. Too bad it's so hard to get a good knife from Japan.. I'd get more.. Just too freaking expensive.

Like I said, I like it for looks, perhaps if they weren't so expensive, I'd give them a try for regular daily useage.
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.18.2009 6:46 am

kabudz wrote:Tony
Oh, believe me, I'm aware they won't flake, It's just hard to get past the "man that's going to split on me" feeling. (it's like that old don't turn the stamp towards the pitcher when batting or the bat will break more easily syndrome.. It won't really happen, but back in the day it used to so everyone still has the "superstition" of it in the back of their mind.) And Honestly, Every Katana I've seen I've only noticed the folds in the sharpest parts of the blade, not the whole thing.. That's why the Damascus stuff freaks me out so much.. lol.. I have a very nice kitchen knife that I brought back from Japan that you can see the folds in as well. Too bad it's so hard to get a good knife from Japan.. I'd get more.. Just too freaking expensive.

Like I said, I like it for looks, perhaps if they weren't so expensive, I'd give them a try for regular daily useage.

yes that kitchen knife is actually pretty cool

Very nice kitchen knife.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.20.2009 9:02 am

kabudz wrote:
yes that kitchen knife is actually pretty cool

you've been in my kitchen? Now that's just freaky.. I don't know you and yet you know me and my stuff.. I won't let it happen again, I can guarantee you that.
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan