Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Good word processors?

Good word processors?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Good word processors?

Postby Sivak » Wed 05.06.2009 8:24 pm

Hey all. I was wondering about obtaining some word processors for Japanese. I don't really do a lot of typing with it now, but whenever I did it was pretty much a tedious task of going to Jim Breen's site and copying/pasting characters. I know there has to be a faster and by far better way than this.

I've seen a few word processors online, but just wonder if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks.
Sivak

Native language: English

Re: Good word processors?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 05.06.2009 8:32 pm

There's JWPce, but Open Office or Microsoft Word works fine too. Do you have Japanese language support on your computer?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Sivak » Wed 05.06.2009 8:53 pm

Hey there. I looked up JWPce and it works pretty nicely. I can view characters, but inputting them requires all sorts of weird configurations needed to the Regional settings (plus I don't want to look for my Windows CD) whereas this program just does it on the spot. Thanks!
Sivak

Postby chikara » Wed 05.06.2009 11:25 pm

Why would you cut and paste characters from Jim Breen's site? :?

Sivak wrote:..... I can view characters, but inputting them requires all sorts of weird configurations needed to the Regional settings ......

It does? What operating system and version are you running?

If JWPce suits your needs though you may as well stick with it.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Sivak » Wed 05.06.2009 11:37 pm

Well, the whole Jim Breen thing was because I didn't know an easy way to get characters copied and pasted somewhere. The only reason I used it was to practice reading some stuff.

I have Windows XP, but to turn on the East Asian support, I need to have my CD to install some files and I don't want to get it out just for that. JWPce works just fine, so all is well for me.
Sivak

Postby chikara » Fri 05.08.2009 12:53 am

Sivak wrote:..... I have Windows XP, but to turn on the East Asian support, I need to have my CD to install some files and I don't want to get it out just for that. JWPce works just fine, so all is well for me.

Is your Windows XP CD locked away in some remote bank vault? :P

The IME gives you the flexibility to enter Japanese text into almost any Windoze based app that accepts text input. How do you include Japanese text in posts on this forum for example? Type up your posts in JWPce and then cut and paste?

To me that seems like a lot of messing around compared with getting the CD out and installing some files as a once off, but then each to their own :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Japanese General Discussion