Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Nabe

Nabe

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Nabe

Postby Infidel » Sat 05.09.2009 4:41 am

I was watching this episode of Gintama and thought it was just too funny so I have to share.

The humor is typical for the series, but I like how it pretty much does the complete opposite of what you would expect of a first episode for a new season. I kept on thinking, oh wait, here it comes, but it never did. Total hilarity.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: Nabe

Postby keatonatron » Sat 05.09.2009 6:16 am

Heh, due to "licensing limitations" we can't watch it from Japan :roll:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby ss » Sat 05.09.2009 7:27 am

X Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this is unavailable in your region.
8)
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Infidel » Sat 05.09.2009 3:48 pm

keatonatron wrote:Heh, due to "licensing limitations" we can't watch it from Japan :roll:

I hate regional licensing, with an utter passion. I'll not rant on it though. Being unable to use Japanese itunes when the artists aren't available here really peeves me off though. Usually there is ONE song that I want really bad, and the only way to get it is off a pirate site, or pay $50 for a 5 song CD import... :( Having to choose between robbing or being robbed is not a nice feeling. I might like the song, but it's not a $50 like.

I have to say that I'm impressed where crunchyroll went. They were originally just another pirate site, but now they apparently only have shows approved by the industry, and a membership program that gives me that feeling that I'm supporting the industry instead of just leaching off it.

On the bad side, since they went legit, the selection of shows to watch was dramatically reduced. But it's nice how a couple hours after the show airs in Japan they have an official sub available to members. I've seen the manga for Gintoki and always passed it up because the cover review made it sound like just another shounen manga with shallow characters etc. But since I had membership and there were only 10 simulcast shows available, I gave it a shot, and discovered that it's more of a comedy that makes fun of shounen manga and anime if anything.

So many shounen manga will have all comedic relief come in the form of slapstick. Now slapstick can be great, Three stooges were awesome after all. But I need other forms of comedy to stay interested. Gintama has lots of sarcasm, situational humor, puns--the title is a pun heck--and non-sequitor humor. So I will usually find myself laughing a lot harder watching gintama than southpark or ren and stimpy, often it hurts because I'm laughing so hard. 銀魂 episode 25. maybe you can just google it. My only problem with Gintama is that they talk so darn fast I have to read subtitles even for sentences I would normally understand fine without them.

Another series that just started recently is Shangri-la . It looks to be one of those great shows that people will be referring to in a decade or so--very epic feeling and a nice plot. No, or very little fanservice either. Panty shots seemingly have become obligatory in any action show that mixes a girl and a skirt, especially a short one. It's as if the artists are thinking, "In order to distract your attention from the lack of plot density and believability, her's a shot of panties!" I might be jumping to conclusions here, but when a girl in a mini jumps, somersaults, and spends a lot of time airborne, and every one of those angles would normally have panty shots but don't, maybe they take the plot seriously. Or maybe reserving judgment is a better course, but Shangri-la has all the earmarks of a potentially epic show. This sunday is episode 6 and this show is the second show worthy of recommendation. Gintama for humor, Shangri-la for action.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Return to General off topic