Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is the person contacting me japanese?

Is the person contacting me japanese?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Is the person contacting me japanese?

Postby kentaku_sama » Sat 05.09.2009 11:03 am

Someone who was named a strange name that I won't say on here contacted me through email from a website called language-buddy after I posted a day after I requested someone who's name was short and Japanese to become a pen-pal.
Her name is something that isn't Japanese at-all. And she says that she wants to learn about my country and culture and become a life long friend. She wouldn't contact me if she wasn't Japanese, right? I mean, I posted on my contact card that "I want to get fluent at Japanese" so why would someone who doesn't know Japanese contact me. She has a yahoo but It's an american address though her profile has no information other than her name, as if she made it yesterday just to contact me. Why would someone make a foreign account to contact someone? Do you think she's Japanese or not? Or do you think she's the person I contacted yesterday?
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Is the person contacting my japanese?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 05.09.2009 11:11 am

Why don't you ask the person? How are we supposed to know?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby furrykef » Sat 05.09.2009 11:27 am

Whenever I get weird random messages like that, I usually just respond that I'm not interested or even just ignore it. If someone has a genuine interest in who I am or what I do, then yeah, of course I'll be receptive to them, but if they think I'm gonna be their friend without them giving the slightest hint that they have an idea of who I am, then, well, they're wrong. The internet is a vast place; if I made friends with everybody who came up and said "Hey, let's be friends!" for no reason at all, then I wouldn't have time for anything else.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby keatonatron » Sat 05.09.2009 6:54 pm

It could be that she is also interested in Japanese and sees that as a common interest to build a friendship on. When someone sees "I want to learn Japanese" on a profile, there are two responses that respondents might have: "I'm a Japanese person, perfect!" or "Hey, me too. Perfect!"

I've also noticed that people who find Japanese too hard to learn sometimes settle for just talking about it with others who have the same interests.
keatonatron

Postby furrykef » Sat 05.09.2009 10:37 pm

Maybe that works for some people, but it doesn't for me, really... there are loads of people I could talk to in Spanish, but I still get bored easily if there aren't any other common interests. I find it just like talking to anybody else, except it's harder to understand. :P

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby richvh » Sat 05.09.2009 10:38 pm

I've been contacted by a few Japanese through that sort of website, but most have been African girls, with a Russian or two thrown in.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby kurisuto » Sun 05.10.2009 9:03 am

richvh wrote:most have been African girls

I received twice pretty much the same message which said something like "I'm African, color of skin don't matter, only love is important". You have to admit these crooks have a good sense of conciseness.
kurisuto

Native language: French

Return to General off topic