Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Questions about playing guitar anyone on here can?

Questions about playing guitar anyone on here can?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Questions about playing guitar anyone on here can?

Postby kentaku_sama » Wed 05.13.2009 12:35 am

アコースティックギターを私は持っています。 楽しいです、 でも 今 指が痛い!!  (don't know how to say this in japanese.)
I've noticed that playing chords is not so easy as I thought... ピアノを出来る、 でも YUIの歌が習いたいのに、 
ギターを習うのが始めました。   Is it normal for a newbie who's only played for 2 days to have ALOT of trouble playing chords like a major and C major? I play them and (BOY DOES IT HURT! for me to type because of it!) and they come out all direty and a few strings are muted is it normal for it to be difficult to play a chord clean at first? Also I posted it on this site so I could practice my japanese. :)
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Questions about playing guitar anyone on here can?

Postby furrykef » Wed 05.13.2009 1:26 am

I can't respond in Japanese since I barely know any, but yeah, it's normal when you're just starting out. If the strings are hurting your fingers, it may be because the strings are too high (on an electric; on an acoustic it may not be so adjustable), or too heavy. Acoustic guitars are harder to play because they have heavier strings. Good strings on an electric are .009 or .010. If you don't know what kind of strings you have, then you probably have one of those two if it's an electric.

If you want to play rock using distorted guitar, you can actually get away without knowing many chords. That's most of what I play, so I barely know any chords since most of 'em would come out like mud anyhow. Rock and metal are pretty much all power chords; they're very easy to learn and easy to play.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby chikara » Wed 05.13.2009 3:17 am

kentaku_sama wrote:..... Is it normal for a newbie who's only played for 2 days to have ALOT of trouble playing chords like a major and C major? ......

If you can remember the fingerings for A major and C major open chords after 2 days you're doing OK. :)

Don't worry about your fingers hurting, that will lessen with time. I've been playing guitar on and off for almost 40 years and I still get saw pads on my fingers if I haven't played for a while.

If you start out using a nylon stringed (acoustic) guitar it will be a lot easier on your fingers. If you are using steel strings take furrykef-san's advice.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby kentaku_sama » Thu 05.14.2009 1:28 am

I don't know that kind of strings it has because I didn't buy it, I'm actually sharing it with my brother as he wants to learn as well. I guess the clean chord sound will come as I practice and since I can stretch a Gb major chord no problem, I want to learn barre chords but I seriously have no idea how you do that! I can reach it, but my finger won't press down 2 strings at a time with out it sounding muted. I guess I should learn regular chords first and barre chords will be much easier by then compared to trying to learn them your first week.
kentaku_sama

Postby yellowboots » Sat 10.24.2009 3:08 pm

Yes, changing the string gauges may help but ultimately, you will want to get your fingers seasoned for the future. Unfortunately, many beginners gave up due to the pain process (barre chords especially). As a part time teacher myself, I have seen struggling students who started as young as 8 or 9 but became proficient and comfortable in just one or two years. Imagine their small and soft fingers trying to grapple with the merciless tough strings of the guitar.

You just have to work hard and endure the pain. Once you have curbed the pain barrier, you will be able to do it. So, 頑張ってください。
yellowboots

Native language: 中国語、英語

Postby john2 » Sat 10.24.2009 6:07 pm

I’m intriguied I though anyone could just pick up an instrument and try to play and start playing a phew tunes.
{that about works for me a short instruction video works fine}.
john2

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 10.24.2009 8:02 pm

It's practice, practice, practice, practice that helps you get a clean sound (fingers not muffling adjacent strings) and results in the muscle memory that speeds things up.

Even with nylon strings it will take a little while before your fingertips don't hurt. With steel strings it actually is possible to play until your fingers bleed. Try not to do that.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.04.2009 3:04 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Even with nylon strings it will take a little while before your fingertips don't hurt. With steel strings it actually is possible to play until your fingers bleed. Try not to do that.

bloody fingers was the calling card for the punk scene back in the 80's.. they'd say, you aren't playing it correctly (hard enough) if you aren't bleeding..
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Wed 11.04.2009 8:09 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:bloody fingers was the calling card for the punk scene back in the 80's ....

"Bloody fingers!" is what I say when I mess up a chord change ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to General off topic