Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Hear The Mosquito Tone?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby coco » Wed 05.13.2009 3:34 am

One of the municipal governments in Tokyo announced that they are taking a new measure to drive away young people gathering at certain public parks at midnight. Because such young troublesome people make a big noise that bothers residents' sleeps, and what is more, they tend to smash public properties.

The measure that the government decided to take is to spin a mosquito tone. I don't have any knowledge ( I know some of you are familiar with this kind of topics), but they say there is a range of high-frequency only young people can hear it.

According to the newspaper, they use equipments imported from UK that make high-frequency tones. I guess the equipment is the same type as this one.

I was wondering whether or not I can hear a mosquito tone, and then tried.
I think I can hear the tone here. My ears seem to be younger than my age of blood pressure.

But I couldn't hear tones over 14,000Hz there.( I think I can hear 14kHz.)
http://itsd210.s24.xrea.com/en/mosquito_sound/

Can you hear tones over 15kHz?
---
Edit; municipal が形容詞だと気づきました。
Last edited by coco on Wed 05.13.2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby Sairana » Wed 05.13.2009 5:33 am

I could clearly hear the tone at the trainhorns link, and it's definitely annoying.

In the second test, I could hear up to 14000Hz.

I'm 31.

I'm going to have my kids try it later. ^_^
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 05.13.2009 6:48 am

They have had one of these at the Takadanobaba train station for a few years now. It's enough to give me a headache, but two of my friends (one the same age as me, and one only 20!) both couldn't hear a thing.

I don't know how effective it is though... I always see lots of people gathering there.

By the way, I could hear up to 16Khz, and I'm 25.

EDIT: I turned up the volume on my speakers, and I could hear the 17Khz and 18Khz as well. I guess I'm young in spirit AND in hearing!
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Wed 05.13.2009 7:01 am

keatonatron wrote:EDIT: I turned up the volume on my speakers, and I could hear the 17Khz and 18Khz as well. I guess I'm young in spirit AND in hearing!

I didn't even think of volume playing a factor in it... with the volume all the way up, I could hear up to 16K.
Sairana

Postby astaroth » Wed 05.13.2009 7:10 am

I can hear up to 18kHz and I'm 30.

Sairana wrote:
keatonatron wrote:EDIT: I turned up the volume on my speakers, and I could hear the 17Khz and 18Khz as well. I guess I'm young in spirit AND in hearing!

I didn't even think of volume playing a factor in it... with the volume all the way up, I could hear up to 16K.

It shouldn't be volume dependent.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby Sairana » Wed 05.13.2009 7:21 am

astaroth wrote:It shouldn't be volume dependent.

I don't know much about sound and speakers, but maybe it just won't play the higher frequencies at certain volume levels?
Sairana

Postby astaroth » Wed 05.13.2009 7:51 am

Sairana wrote:
astaroth wrote:It shouldn't be volume dependent.

I don't know much about sound and speakers, but maybe it just won't play the higher frequencies at certain volume levels?

Sorry my comment was about the ear not the speakers.
I also thought whether the speakers might (and probably will) approximate the frequency of the sound emitted so a 20kHz is actually a 18kHz or something. Also very well possible the speakers not be able to reproduce some frequencies at all.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby keatonatron » Wed 05.13.2009 8:26 am

astaroth wrote:I also thought whether the speakers might (and probably will) approximate the frequency of the sound emitted so a 20kHz is actually a 18kHz or something. Also very well possible the speakers not be able to reproduce some frequencies at all.

Most decent speakers can handle up to 20Khz. Although I too don't know how accurate compressed files played over the internet are.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby coco » Wed 05.13.2009 10:04 am

Sairana wrote:

Even after reading Astraroth-san's posts, I turned the volume up with positive expectations!!
... but I couldn't. orz

astaroth wrote:I can hear up to 18kHz and I'm 30.

:o
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 05.13.2009 10:20 am

I will be 31 next week and I could just barely hear it. Not enough to drive me away from the public parks at midnight though! :lol:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby astaroth » Wed 05.13.2009 10:56 am

coco wrote:I was wondering whether or not I can hear a mosquito tone, and then tried.
I think I can hear the tone here. My ears seem to be younger than my age of blood pressure.

I tried this link at home and it was so annoying the sound I had to cover my ears and flee the premises with terror in my eyes ... ok not quite that bad :lol: But it was an annoying sound which made me think of what could happen if I quietly sleeping at night and the cops would turn on that device for a couple of teenagers ... I think I wouldn't be very much happy about it.

I'm in a coffee place now, age raging from 20+ all the way over 50 and tried the link again. No one frown (except me ... :oops:) but I don't know if it says more about the sound than about the ability of mind-one's-own-business :)
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby Sairana » Wed 05.13.2009 12:13 pm

astaroth wrote:
coco wrote:I was wondering whether or not I can hear a mosquito tone, and then tried.

I tried this link at home and it was so annoying the sound I had to cover my ears and flee the premises with terror in my eyes ... ok not quite that bad :lol: But it was an annoying sound which made me think of what could happen if I quietly sleeping at night and the cops would turn on that device for a couple of teenagers ... I think I wouldn't be very much happy about it.

I'm in a coffee place now, age raging from 20+ all the way over 50 and tried the link again. No one frown (except me ... :oops:) but I don't know if it says more about the sound than about the ability of mind-one's-own-business :)

I have to wonder how many of those people are going to their next physical and mention to their doctor, "And one day I was having coffee, and my ears started ringing REALLY LOUDLY...."
Sairana

Postby yukamina » Wed 05.13.2009 1:32 pm

Neat. I've heard about sound frequencies only teenagers could hear, but I never got to test it out myself.

I heard all of them, and I'm 20. 18,000Hz is really faint, though.
yukamina

Postby furrykef » Wed 05.13.2009 3:48 pm

I'm 25 years old and I could hear 'em all very clearly in the 8 kHz to 17 kHz test, though 17 kHz was pretty quiet. It'd still drive me absolutely nuts if I could hear it all the time even at such a low volume, though.

It doesn't really surprise me that I could hear 'em all. A while back we had this TV, and occasionally my stepfather or mother would accidentally turn off the cable box instead of the TV (the same button on the remote controls both). Since this resulted in a blank screen, they couldn't tell the difference. But I could always hear when it happened because it made a faint, high-pitched sound. (The screen also glowed a bit -- it wasn't pure black -- but I could still tell very easily without even looking at the screen.)

By the way, I just found the second test that goes up to 21 kHz while playing Für Elise. In that one, I didn't hear 17 kHz the first time; the second time, I heard it, but it was so faint that it wouldn't bother me. 18 kHz and above were completely inaudible.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Infidel » Wed 05.13.2009 4:52 pm

Considering that rowdy destructive kids also tend to play their music too loud, and thus tend to lose their high range hearing early. I'm not too sure this will make a big difference, however, it will be interesting to read follow ups on.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Next

Return to General off topic