Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Hear The Mosquito Tone?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby Mystique » Wed 05.13.2009 5:04 pm

furrykef wrote:It doesn't really surprise me that I could hear 'em all. A while back we had this TV, and occasionally my stepfather or mother would accidentally turn off the cable box instead of the TV (the same button on the remote controls both). Since this resulted in a blank screen, they couldn't tell the difference. But I could always hear when it happened because it made a faint, high-pitched sound. (The screen also glowed a bit -- it wasn't pure black -- but I could still tell very easily without even looking at the screen.)


I think that is the 19kHz pilot frequency for the audio signal that you were hearing. I used to be able to hear that as well when I was in elementary school. One can tell if whether the TV set is on or off without any signal/image.

I loss that ability by the time I reached high school.
我が思わぬ、故に我が無し…
Mystique
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon 07.11.2005 10:42 pm

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 05.14.2009 10:44 am

cell phones (with young kids) have been using these high tone ringers for a bit now. The kids can hear it ring but the older folks can't. So, you can put a high tone ringer on and get away with the phone ringing in class, unless your teacher has good ears and busts you for it.

My daughter tried this a few times at home, thinking I couldn't hear them. When I told her to answer her phone a few times when I heard the sounds, she decided it wasn't so sneaky anymore.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby coco » Thu 05.14.2009 12:16 pm

becki_kanou wrote: I could just barely hear it. Not enough to drive me away from the public parks at midnight though! :lol:
ご同輩! :lol:
根拠はないけれど、私たちはサイトカイン・ストームを引き起こしにくい気がします。 :D
Sairana wrote:
astaroth wrote:I tried this link at home and it was so annoying the sound I had to cover my ears and flee the premises with terror in my eyes ... ok not quite that bad :lol: But it was an annoying sound which made me think of what could happen if I quietly sleeping at night and the cops would turn on that device for a couple of teenagers ... I think I wouldn't be very much happy about it.

I'm in a coffee place now, age raging from 20+ all the way over 50 and tried the link again. No one frown (except me ... :oops:) but I don't know if it says more about the sound than about the ability of mind-one's-own-business :)


I have to wonder how many of those people are going to their next physical and mention to their doctor, "And one day I was having coffee, and my ears started ringing REALLY LOUDLY...."

This reminded me of "Mars Attack!". I thought the mosquito tone might have been to teenagers what a country song is to a Martian in "Mars Attack!". But after reading Two_heads-san's post, there seems to be several ways of using high-frequency tones. 
Mystique wrote:
furrykef wrote:It doesn't really surprise me that I could hear 'em all. A while back we had this TV, and occasionally my stepfather or mother would accidentally turn off the cable box instead of the TV (the same button on the remote controls both). Since this resulted in a blank screen, they couldn't tell the difference. But I could always hear when it happened because it made a faint, high-pitched sound. (The screen also glowed a bit -- it wasn't pure black -- but I could still tell very easily without even looking at the screen.)


I think that is the 19kHz pilot frequency for the audio signal that you were hearing. I used to be able to hear that as well when I was in elementary school. One can tell if whether the TV set is on or off without any signal/image.

I loss that ability by the time I reached high school.

Mys-san お久しぶりです。 :)
私の知人に、深夜であれば2~3キロ先からでも、どの家でテレビをつけているのかわかるという30代後半の人がいます。その人は北海道出身なので感覚が鋭敏なのかと思っていましたが、高周波の聞き取り能力と関係するのかしらん。 :roll: 
coco
 
Posts: 3061
Joined: Mon 05.30.2005 12:43 am
Location: 東京都
Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby Musiflare » Thu 05.14.2009 2:03 pm

When I was in Japan last summer, I noticed that anytime I walked near an adult club in Tokyo, I always heard a really high-pitched sound such as this. The first time it happened, I thought it was just some quirk with the light-up sign next to the entrance, but it kept happening. I wonder if club owners utilize this, or if it was just some weird coincidence.
User avatar
Musiflare
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun 10.21.2007 11:48 am
Location: 東京都
Native language: 英語

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby Disco » Thu 05.14.2009 5:30 pm

Oh God- that was ear shattering. Ps, I listen to my music fairly loud. At least my hearing loss ( if any at all) isn't substantial.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
User avatar
Disco
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat 03.28.2009 6:33 pm
Location: California
Native language: English

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby keatonatron » Thu 05.14.2009 10:24 pm

coco wrote:私の知人に、深夜であれば2~3キロ先からでも、どの家でテレビをつけているのかわかるという30代後半の人がいます。


2キロ先??家がそこにあることさえ分からないんじゃないですか??
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby Txkun » Fri 05.15.2009 1:00 am

I can clearly hear the Teenager sound test (I'm 31 years old) and it's very annoying!
Woulnd't be nicer for our poor easrs (and animal's ears too) just to teach young people how to behave?
User avatar
Txkun
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri 08.26.2005 3:17 am
Location: Rome
Native language: Italian
Gender: Male

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 05.15.2009 2:21 am

coco wrote:
becki_kanou wrote: I could just barely hear it. Not enough to drive me away from the public parks at midnight though! :lol:
ご同輩! :lol:
根拠はないけれど、私たちはサイトカイン・ストームを引き起こしにくい気がします。 :D

サイトカイン・ストーム???? :shock: その言葉は初耳です。今wikipediaで調べて、一つ賢くなりました。

ありがとうございました!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.15.2009 10:28 am

Txkun wrote:I can clearly hear the Teenager sound test (I'm 31 years old) and it's very annoying!
Woulnd't be nicer for our poor easrs (and animal's ears too) just to teach young people how to behave?


This is not a frequency that bothers animals at all. Where did you get the information that it bothered animals?
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 05.15.2009 10:50 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
Txkun wrote:I can clearly hear the Teenager sound test (I'm 31 years old) and it's very annoying!
Woulnd't be nicer for our poor easrs (and animal's ears too) just to teach young people how to behave?


This is not a frequency that bothers animals at all. Where did you get the information that it bothered animals?


I wondered about that too and played it for my dog, but she didn't seem to react to it at all.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.15.2009 1:56 pm

becki_kanou wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
Txkun wrote:I can clearly hear the Teenager sound test (I'm 31 years old) and it's very annoying!
Woulnd't be nicer for our poor easrs (and animal's ears too) just to teach young people how to behave?


This is not a frequency that bothers animals at all. Where did you get the information that it bothered animals?


I wondered about that too and played it for my dog, but she didn't seem to react to it at all.



dogs and cats hear things in the higher freqs that we can't, those higher end freqs might set them off, but not 19k hz, 19k to them is pretty low.

on the other hand, elephants kick out low droaning noises in the 20-100 hz range that you feel, rather than hear.. lol
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby furrykef » Fri 05.15.2009 3:32 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:on the other hand, elephants kick out low droaning noises in the 20-100 hz range that you feel, rather than hear.. lol


It's actually just roughly the 0-40 Hz or so range that you feel rather than hear. In fact, depending on your hearing, you can hear down to about 20 Hz. I can hear a 20 Hz tone sine wave, but I have to turn the volume way up. (Note that speakers may attenuate such low frequencies, so this may or may not be caused by my speakers... I imagine it is quite hard to hear such frequencies, though.) It sounds more like flapping, though... less than 20 Hz and it's pretty much all flapping.

I can hear a 40 Hz tone without turning up my volume so much, and 60 Hz comes through loud and clear at normal volume. Funnily enough, my subwoofer resonates quite heavily if I turn up the volume, though.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby Txkun » Fri 05.15.2009 4:29 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Txkun wrote:I can clearly hear the Teenager sound test (I'm 31 years old) and it's very annoying!
Woulnd't be nicer for our poor easrs (and animal's ears too) just to teach young people how to behave?


This is not a frequency that bothers animals at all. Where did you get the information that it bothered animals?


Well it a supposition since I know there are whistles that can be heard only by dogs.
I can't hear them so I think their frequency is higher that this Teenager sound. For this reason I think an animal can hear this sound. It could be that they aren't bothered as much as I do but I think no one would like to ear a whistle going on all night long. Anyway even if animals ears don't hurt mine do. :D

p.s. ah just read about the 19k thing. Interesting! Now I wonder if birds ear the same as dogs & cats or like humans. Time to google
User avatar
Txkun
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri 08.26.2005 3:17 am
Location: Rome
Native language: Italian
Gender: Male

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.15.2009 4:41 pm

furrykef wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:on the other hand, elephants kick out low droaning noises in the 20-100 hz range that you feel, rather than hear.. lol


It's actually just roughly the 0-40 Hz or so range that you feel rather than hear. In fact, depending on your hearing, you can hear down to about 20 Hz. I can hear a 20 Hz tone sine wave, but I have to turn the volume way up. (Note that speakers may attenuate such low frequencies, so this may or may not be caused by my speakers... I imagine it is quite hard to hear such frequencies, though.) It sounds more like flapping, though... less than 20 Hz and it's pretty much all flapping.

I can hear a 40 Hz tone without turning up my volume so much, and 60 Hz comes through loud and clear at normal volume. Funnily enough, my subwoofer resonates quite heavily if I turn up the volume, though.

- Kef


Hmm, I was always told that up to 100hz you could feel the vibrations (assuming all things equal in volume of course). I'm aware that people can hear as low as 20hz, but it's usually mixed in with so many other freqs, that you feel it rather than actually hearing it.

Some friends and I did a complete freq track song, where we manipulated freqs rather than 'sounds' and it was interesting to see who could hear what parts.. Some of our friends even figured out there was a beat/bass track within the freqs.. But that was alsmost 2 decades ago.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Hear The Mosquito Tone?

Postby furrykef » Fri 05.15.2009 9:43 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:Hmm, I was always told that up to 100hz you could feel the vibrations (assuming all things equal in volume of course). I'm aware that people can hear as low as 20hz, but it's usually mixed in with so many other freqs, that you feel it rather than actually hearing it.


Yeah, that may well be true, though it depends. If a 60 Hz tone is very dissonant with a piece of music, it'd probably stick out. But if it's not dissonant, you might not hear it at all.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
User avatar
furrykef
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu 01.10.2008 9:20 pm
Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to General off topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron