Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - vocab help

vocab help

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: vocab help

Postby Sachi » Tue 11.01.2005 7:05 pm

I have the "Kana de Manga" book, and it teaches Hirigana and Katakana through pictures with stroke order and vocab. It'll help, but it's kinda random (footprints to mushrooms and snowmen??). Although you won't learn the colors, numbers, classroom objects (aka vocab in a set) it's good to get a good variety, right?
Sachi

Postby vinoyatjp » Tue 11.01.2005 8:11 pm

boku wa takusan hon ga motte imasu yo!! Japanese the manga way ya Instant immersion ya Complet guide of Adjectives ... demo boku no mondai
wa [ I dont know what to use first ] ... Ja ne minna ..
Yuzuyu to Kokoro chin ga totemo daisuki da yo !!
vinoyatjp

Postby Kates » Wed 11.02.2005 10:47 am

For real basics, I think "100 (First?) Words in Japanese" would be good, or whatever it's called. It has really basic stuff like numbers, colors, and things around the house, school, etc. Most big bookstores should have it.

Personally, I think all the 'Learn Japanese thru Manga!' books are funny... Just playing on the American comic/manga-reader's desire to be fluent in Japanese. I have a bookshelf full of Japanese (text)books and none of them are learning Japanese from manga... I think there are much better books you could spend your money on... =/ But I hope they've taught you something anyway. ^_^
Kates

Postby ParanoiaK3 » Sun 11.20.2005 11:06 pm

I took notes with structures/particles/words from lessons on http://www.learn-japanese.info/

And I had enough so I copied all the notes and romanji sentences into Hiragana and I picked it up so quickly. I'm having trouble with katakana though. :-D
ParanoiaK3

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 11.20.2005 11:26 pm

Kates wrote:
Personally, I think all the 'Learn Japanese thru Manga!' books are funny... Just playing on the American comic/manga-reader's desire to be fluent in Japanese. I have a bookshelf full of Japanese (text)books and none of them are learning Japanese from manga... I think there are much better books you could spend your money on... =/ But I hope they've taught you something anyway. ^_^

hey, i don't even read manga or watch anime and i enjoy the mangajin books (^_^;)
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Sun 11.20.2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby Steve_Poppers » Sun 11.20.2005 11:45 pm

Wow, mandolin. Those vocab lists were incredibly useful, especially since I'm using JFBP.
As for how to learn, I learned all the katakana and hiragana, and started in kanji, but I find that it's hard for me to memorize the kanji if I've not seen or used it in some sort of context. So, I'm going to learn the vocabulary, THEN the kanji for the word/s. Those lists will keep me from having to make my own. domo arigatou gozaimasu

And for everyone trying to learn: Gambatte!!!

*edit: cool!! First post on 2nd page! Yahoo!!!
Last edited by Steve_Poppers on Sun 11.20.2005 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve_Poppers

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips