Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - High Schoolers working in Japan?

High Schoolers working in Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

High Schoolers working in Japan?

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Wed 05.20.2009 4:59 pm

I searched around on the Internet but couldn't find much on this. I just started watching a dorama called "Bloody Monday," and in the beginning a teacher said this:

"Some parents complained about seeing a student working part-time at a convenience store."

The girl he spoke with seemed embarrassed and lied about it, and then he mentioned that he would have to suspend her?

What's this about? Why would parents complain about seeing a high-schooler working part-time? Don't they tend to get a baito so that they can have their own money?

Or it could be that this is just television and I'm taking it with not enough grains of salt...

Can someone clear this up for me? :D
AkiKaza-chan

Re: High Schoolers working in Japan?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 05.20.2009 5:01 pm

It depends on the high school. Many do allow their students to work part-time, but not all.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Wed 05.20.2009 5:24 pm

That crossed my mind as well, that it might just be school-specific.

Thanks for clearing that up! ^^
AkiKaza-chan

Postby keatonatron » Thu 05.21.2009 12:26 am

There was a Christian school in the US that wanted to expel a kid for going to the public school's prom :?

Although, perhaps it's not as crazy as it sounds.

A large majority of high schools in Japan are private (and very expensive!). They pride themselves on creating a rigid, professional environment where the students can excel and do their best. All schools have various rules to achieve this goal. I'm sure many of them have a strict rule that students can't engage in part time work because it will interfere with their studies. If they are paying all this money to go to the school, but aren't going to follow the rules set out to give them the best education, what is the point of going to the school? Also, if one person breaks the rules and gets away with it, everyone else will want to break the rules too and then you've suddenly got a school where everyone spends their time on other responsibilities, no one can focus on their testing, and the school's reputation as a whole declines.

Which is pretty much the same thing as the school in the US. I think their decision was absurd, but rules are rules and if you don't want to follow them there is no reason to go to that school--so you might as well be kicked out.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan