Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Postby CajunCoder » Fri 05.22.2009 8:04 am

I've only had the American stuff, which usually doesn't have wasabi on it to begin with. So I tend to mix a fair amount into my soy sauce.

On a related note, how does authentic sushi compare to the stuff found here in the US? If we've done with sushi anything like the rest of the country has done with that odd soup they think to be "gumbo," I'm guessing there's a world of difference :lol:
CajunCoder
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue 09.27.2005 4:08 am

Re: how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.22.2009 8:07 am

CajunCoder wrote:I've only had the American stuff, which usually doesn't have wasabi on it to begin with. So I tend to mix a fair amount into my soy sauce.

On a related note, how does authentic sushi compare to the stuff found here in the US? If we've done with sushi anything like the rest of the country has done with that odd soup they think to be "gumbo," I'm guessing there's a world of difference :lol:


Even the freshest American sushi has a hard time standing up to Japanese sushi. In fact at one local place the balance of rice and fish is completely off. too little rice, too much fish, and not sense of when or when not to use wasabi. The tamago is either too sweet or not sweet enough (usually just taking like a scrambled egg with no seasoning at all) and wrapped in the worst nori I've ever had. It doesn't help that most Sushi places here are either owned by Koreans or Mexicans.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Postby CajunCoder » Fri 05.22.2009 8:49 am

Come to think of it, I don't know of any local Japanese restaurants run by Japanese owners (or even with Japanese employees) either. I remember taking some Korean exchange students to a local Japanese restaurant, only to find that everyone there also spoke Korean.
CajunCoder
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue 09.27.2005 4:08 am

Re: how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.22.2009 9:25 am

CajunCoder wrote:Come to think of it, I don't know of any local Japanese restaurants run by Japanese owners (or even with Japanese employees) either. I remember taking some Korean exchange students to a local Japanese restaurant, only to find that everyone there also spoke Korean.


There are some really good places in Utah owned by Japanese. The problem is that Utah isn't really the best place to get the freshest fishes. So, while their sushi is better than most, it must be shipped and that means freezing or other transport issues that can affect the freshness of the fish. So you might not get that fresh off the boat freshness, but you can get the stuff in a few hours if you are willing to pay extra for it.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Postby Infidel » Fri 05.22.2009 1:22 pm

two_heads_talking wrote: I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps in scanning my comment, you two just blew over that?


You made a comment?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
User avatar
Infidel
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 1:12 am
Native language: 英語

Re: how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 05.22.2009 1:48 pm

Infidel wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote: I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps in scanning my comment, you two just blew over that?


You made a comment?


No! I was standing on my head and all the words fell out.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Postby Infidel » Fri 05.22.2009 4:22 pm

Cool, that's what I thought you were doing, but the words sounded funny upside down.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
User avatar
Infidel
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 1:12 am
Native language: 英語

Re: how much wasabi do you put in your soy sauce?

Postby two_heads_talking » Sun 05.24.2009 5:49 pm

Infidel wrote:Cool, that's what I thought you were doing, but the words sounded funny upside down.


They tasted funny too. Perhaps a bit of wasabi.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests