Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What makes Japanese so difficult?

What makes Japanese so difficult?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: What makes Japanese so difficult?

Postby AJBryant » Wed 05.27.2009 2:21 pm

In another forum I'm on, we used to post "guess the pronunciation" British (and sometimes American) proper names. Lots of fun with it -- especially with faux ami like "Beauchamp" ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby JaySee » Wed 05.27.2009 5:18 pm

JaySee wrote:British place names really are the worst when it comes to their pronunciation. Salisbury, Leicester, Greenwich, Worcester, Gloucester, Plymouth, Reading... and there's tons more.

astaroth wrote:As it is that if there is a question, then there is a wiki page here an interesting wiki article I just found.

:?

AJBryant wrote:In another forum I'm on, we used to post "guess the pronunciation" British (and sometimes American) proper names. Lots of fun with it -- especially with faux ami like "Beauchamp" ;)

I like how the "beau" in English Beauchamp and Beaulieu has a completely different pronunciation in each word, yet in both words both it sounds nothing like the French original. :P
Last edited by JaySee on Wed 05.27.2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 05.27.2009 5:23 pm

AJBryant wrote:In another forum I'm on, we used to post "guess the pronunciation" British (and sometimes American) proper names. Lots of fun with it -- especially with faux ami like "Beauchamp" ;)

Tony

http://dqname.jp/
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby astaroth » Wed 05.27.2009 5:29 pm

JaySee wrote:
JaySee wrote:British place names really are the worst when it comes to their pronunciation. Salisbury, Leicester, Greenwich, Worcester, Gloucester, Plymouth, Reading... and there's tons more.

astaroth wrote:As it is that if there is a question, then there is a wiki page here an interesting wiki article I just found.

:?

Sorry, JaySee, I read your post but I failed on seeing the link on 'more' ... :(
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby epokw » Tue 06.09.2009 5:35 am

When you watch a drama and they make homophone jokes, my brain lapses in thought for a couple of seconds.
epokw

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion