Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kyoto and vicinity or Tokyo?

Kyoto and vicinity or Tokyo?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Kyoto and vicinity or Tokyo?

Postby sampaguita » Thu 05.28.2009 12:19 am

I'm planning a 10-day trip to Japan in late October 2009. We will be attending an Osaka conference, and after that, we have four days for touring Japan.

After Osaka, I'm definitely going to visit Kyoto. But the question is, should I spend some time in Tokyo too? I've been in Tokyo before, but I only saw it at night (conference in the mornings, *sigh*). Places I've been to the following places in Tokyo: Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, Tokyo Tower.

If I will visit Tokyo, then the four-day tour would be divided into: 2-day Tokyo tour, 2-day Kyoto tour.

I don't really know if Y28000 is worth it for a Japan Rail Pass (aka unlimited Shinkansen + JR trains), so I would like to ask for advice. Aside from Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, Tokyo Tower, is there ANYTHING ELSE worth seeing in Tokyo or nearby areas? Because if there isn't, or if the entrance fees are too expensive, then maybe I should just spend the four days touring Kyoto, Nara, and Hyogo (Himeji).

My motivation for going on a tour in Japan (in decreasing order of importance):

1. I want to see Kyoto, Nara, and Himeji (and I mean inside the castles/temples, not outside).
2. I want to hear the language again and use it (standard Japanese).
3. I might not visit Japan again for a long time, so I want to see the best sites of Japan.
4. I have a friend in Tokyo whom I want to visit.

Would you have any suggestions?
sampaguita

Re: Kyoto and vicinity or Tokyo?

Postby spin13 » Thu 05.28.2009 5:38 am

sampaguita wrote:I don't really know if Y28000 is worth it for a Japan Rail Pass (aka unlimited Shinkansen + JR trains), so I would like to ask for advice.

The Rail Pass is only worth it if you use the Shinkansen a lot. Kyoto-Himeji and Kyoto-Nara round trips together are only about half the price of the Rail Pass. The Kyoto local rail system is much smaller than that of Tokyo, so you won't be getting a lot of use out of the pass there. However, if you also go from Kyoto to Tokyo the pass is worth it.

sampaguita wrote:Aside from Shinjuku, Shibuya, Akihabara, Tokyo Tower, is there ANYTHING ELSE worth seeing in Tokyo or nearby areas? Because if there isn't, or if the entrance fees are too expensive, then maybe I should just spend the four days touring Kyoto, Nara, and Hyogo (Himeji).

There is a ton more to see in Tokyo (Asakusa, Ueno, Imperial Gardens, Odaiba/Rainbow Bridge) and Kanto (Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone, Yokohama (Landmark Tower/Minato Mirai/Chukagai/Sankei-en Garden)), but you could easily spend those 4 days just in the Kansai area.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 05.28.2009 5:52 am

There are heaps of things to see in Tokyo, as mentioned above, but if I only had 4 days to spend in Japan, I'd probably be more likely to stay in Kyoto and visit Nara and Himeji.
Maybe there's a chance that your friend in Tokyo could visit you in one of those places for a day. ?? Just a thought!
:D
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby sampaguita » Thu 05.28.2009 8:00 am

tokai devotee wrote:Maybe there's a chance that your friend in Tokyo could visit you in one of those places for a day. ?? Just a thought!
:D

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but I guess it's too much to ask. :D Although I do wish she would have a trip to Kansai on those days. XD
sampaguita

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan