Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - japanese schools

japanese schools

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

japanese schools

Postby jiro » Mon 11.14.2005 4:03 am

i may be an exchange student to japan next year. i know a bit about japanese culture and all, but i am still kind of clueless on their schooling. is it really intensive? i think the only things i do know about it are that the students clean the school, and that instead of the students switching from class to class, the teachers switch.
if anyone could tell me anything about it, that would be great.
and if you have any information on what schooling is like for exchange students, that would be nice too.

thanks

jiro
jiro

RE: japanese schools

Postby Archer » Mon 11.14.2005 8:05 am

Sorry, I don't have any information about the schools but I just wanted to say that your avatar is great.... reminds me of Ed from Cowboy Bebop.:D

Oh yeah, I would have loved to have had the opportunity to be an exchange student in Japan. Hope it goes good for you.
Archer

Postby Kates » Mon 11.14.2005 10:05 am

I spent a year working in 6 Japanese junior highs, so maybe I can give you some info. (though, I only worked as an English teacher, so I can't say much about other classes...)

I imagine it's going to be a BIG change for you. Classes in Japan tend to be more 'teacher lectures, students listen' classes. You'll probably take a lot of notes (multi-colored notes... ^^; ) and have homework every night. School begins at about 7am, and students usually don't leave until around 5pm--I believe every student is required to get involved in one club. I was never called in to work on Saturaday, but I know students would go to the school on Saturdays... but I think it was for club meetings, not for class. (But I could be wrong.)

You probably know about uniforms--as far as I know, all junior and senior high students wear uniforms. Most junior highs are three years (7-9th grade, American system) and senior highs are three years (10-12th grade). Many Japanese schools do not have cafeterias, so you may have to bring a lunch every day--and you will most likely eat in your classroom with your classmates. Some elementary schools have cafeterias so your school's food could be trucked over every day. If so, then EVERYONE will eat school lunch (kyuushoku). You'll only get excused for medical reasons. Oh, and you'll probably brush your teeth after lunch in the hallway/bathroom sinks. ^^;

You're right--students stay in their class all day and teachers move to them. (With exceptions for gym, art, science, etc.) Teachers will all have desks in the teacher's room, most likely on the first floor, close to the Principal's office. Some schools/teachers ask that the students come fetch their teacher when it's time for class (they often help carry things for the teacher). Most Japanese schools are three or four stories high, so this can get really exhausting... (Sometimes I'd have three classes a day, all on the fourth floor... and I'd have to make the trip to and fro every time.... >_< )

Hmm... that's already a lot of info. >_> Sorry I don't know much about classes themselves... I made a website while I lived/worked in Japan; please feel free to visit it to see pictures from some of the schools I went to. I sometimes described/photographed some of the things I just told you about. (:
http://www.geocities.com/strimple_sensei
Kates

Postby jiro » Sun 11.20.2005 2:21 am

lol. thanks for the replies.
kates, thanks for that info. i didnt know about the teachers desks being moved around. haha. homework every night! x_x. do you know if high school much different from junior high?
and i was also wondering. with the uniforms, in your pictures, the boys have different outfits on. and do you know what kind of clubs there are? like a couple of examples?
thanks for your help.

jiro
jiro

Postby Kates » Sun 11.20.2005 10:36 am

jiro wrote:i didnt know about the teachers desks being moved around.

I guess I didn't explain this so well. o_o Of course the teachers' DESKS aren't moved... that'd be way too hard. The teachers each have a desk in the teachers' room on the (typically) first floor. When it is time for class, the teacher takes what s/he needs (papers, books, CD player, etc) and goes to the classroom. In each classroom there is a desk for the 'acting teacher' to use, as well as a podium in front of the students' desks. I hope that straightens that out. ^^;

jiro wrote:homework every night! x_x. do you know if high school much different from junior high?

I would assume it is different, slightly. High schools are not public like junior highs and elementary schools are. Kids will often commute to high schools that they are accepted to, instead of just going to their "City High School." I assume some things are similar and some are the same... but you'll have to ask someone with experience in a high school to know. I have a friend who did JET in a high school, I can talk to her the next time I see her and get info, if someone hasn't told you here.

jiro wrote:and i was also wondering. with the uniforms, in your pictures, the boys have different outfits on. and do you know what kind of clubs there are? like a couple of examples?

"Different outfits"... from... each other? Or from the girls? Are you looking at gym uniforms? Each student has perhaps three uniforms: a summer-class uniform, a winter-class uniform, and a gym uniform (which comes with pants and shorts, I believe).

For girls, they wear their skirts year-round. They usually have a cotton shirt, long or short sleeved depends on the school, for the summer, and a sweater for the winter. Boys get pants year-round, and usually a short-sleeved white shirt in summer, and either a long-sleeved for winter or that high-colored jacket with large buttons. Gym uniforms might be the same--either that or very similar.

As for clubs, there's about anything you can imagine. And I bet a high school would have a great variety. But for sports, the Japanese can be a little stereotypical: girls play volleyball and tennis. Maybe your HS will have a softball team, but I think that's rare.

Do you know the name of your school? I bet I could help you find it's website... :D
Kates

Postby jiro » Mon 11.21.2005 3:32 pm

wow! thats a lot of information!
haha. that makes a bit more sense on the teachers desk.

ah! they are the gym uniforms! im so unobservant :|
i dont know what school i would be going to. i think all these people who do the exchange programs choose at the last minute or something. because they dont tell you much of where you are going. xP heh

thank you very much for your help.
jiro

Postby tk101 » Mon 11.21.2005 6:09 pm

Kates,
do you now anything about japanese Colleges?
I'm a senior i highschool and i might go to either Japan, England or Spain for college as an international student.

thanks.
tk101

Postby Kates » Mon 11.21.2005 8:19 pm

No, I don't. Nothing of value anyway... ): But I know several students from Waseda that are studying at the college my husband works at. I'll see if I can't poke them to sign on here and give you some info. Oh, and an American friend of mine studied at a (the?) university in Toldeo, Spain during her time at Notre Dame. Perhaps you'd like some info from her, too?
Kates

Postby Blackgem » Mon 11.21.2005 9:05 pm

if u don't understand japaneseyou probably won't have homework. we have a japanese exchange student im my class and he can't speak english
A message im my cereal! ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Blackgem

RE: School

Postby maikeru » Tue 11.22.2005 2:34 am

Hello

I went to a senior HS in Hokkaido for about 2 and a half weeks. It was a public school in a town with two HSs. You had to be slightly smarter to get into this school than the other but I think most people who were quite smart travelled on the train to Sapporo.

This school had about 1000 students and was four storeys high Teachers rooms and library etc on the ground floor, 3rd year students were on the 1st floor, 2nd year students on the 2nd floor, and 1st year students on the 3rd floor.

A lot of people didn't seem to do a lot of work in class. Some could be sleeping, some could be playing on their cellphones and some were actually doing the work.

The guy who I stayed with seemed to be pretty laid back and never did any homework at all while I was there! The teachers didn't check up on the students who didn't do their work.

The relationships between the teachers and the students seemed to be pretty casual - sometimes they would jump on the teachers' back for a piggy-back ride or lock the teacher out of the classroom for a joke.

I'm sure you'll have a great time at a Japanese school and in Japan!:D
maikeru

Postby jiro » Tue 11.22.2005 4:19 am

maikeru wrote:
Hello

I went to a senior HS in Hokkaido for about 2 and a half weeks. It was a public school in a town with two HSs. You had to be slightly smarter to get into this school than the other but I think most people who were quite smart travelled on the train to Sapporo.

This school had about 1000 students and was four storeys high Teachers rooms and library etc on the ground floor, 3rd year students were on the 1st floor, 2nd year students on the 2nd floor, and 1st year students on the 3rd floor.

A lot of people didn't seem to do a lot of work in class. Some could be sleeping, some could be playing on their cellphones and some were actually doing the work.

The guy who I stayed with seemed to be pretty laid back and never did any homework at all while I was there! The teachers didn't check up on the students who didn't do their work.

The relationships between the teachers and the students seemed to be pretty casual - sometimes they would jump on the teachers' back for a piggy-back ride or lock the teacher out of the classroom for a joke.

I'm sure you'll have a great time at a Japanese school and in Japan!:D

hahaha. that sounds...odd. haha. i've never heard of anything like that! that sounds like something that kids would do at my high school.
jiro

Postby Kates » Wed 11.23.2005 10:26 am

Keep in mind that, just like in America, the climate of a school can be very different to the one down the street. I worked in one junior high that seemed to be similar to this. One teacher was called by her first name by students (though I could see she really disliked this). The girls rolled their skirts up and the boys untucked their shirts... though they would always get reprimanded by the teachers. The kids would be lazy and rude during class. I usually disliked going to classes at this school... -_- I felt like we were all wasting our time.

However, at another school I worked at in the same city... it's like the kdis were a different breed. They were curteous and kind. They never went outside the dress code. They paid attention in class and did their work. It really floored me to see such a different climate at a school not 30 minutes away from the first.

Will you be the only foreigner at the school? If so... please keep in mind that you will be representing your people and your country. It may not be fair for the students to think of you this way, but they will--if YOU do something, then they might think that EVERYONE acts that way where you come from.

I suggest you avoid jumping onto your senseis... ^^; Don't be lazy and not do homework... you won't learn anything then! I mean, if you're interested in learning Japanese, then DO IT. Don't think you're just going to absorb it because you're there--it doesn't work that way. Make the most of the opportunity because it's really incredible! I hope you feel you are very lucky to have this chance--there are a million kids in America right now who would be SO jealous of you.

I hope you come home without a single regret~ Don't let a day pass without learning something new~ ^_^ Oh, and most important... HAVE FUN. ^_~
Kates

Postby tk101 » Wed 11.23.2005 6:47 pm

Thanks Kates, I be sure to keep an ear out for the info... oh and i reliezed that i would be representing my country... but what if there are preset prejudgces?
then what would one do?
tk101

Postby fishmonster » Thu 11.24.2005 2:02 am

i wouldnt say its quite intense but they get quite a bit of homework. You'll have to do some looking into. I would suggest a great book if you can find it called "Beyond Sushi" Its about a man you gots to Japan to teach english to schoolchildren/teenagers. Its basically about his troubles with language barrier and cultural differences but it is quite an excellent book. It has a lot to do with how schools are and what they do there. I hope you have fun there. I wish I could go.
^_~
fishmonster

Postby jiro » Thu 11.24.2005 2:45 am

haha. i wouldnt do a lot of that stuff at my school. and im pretty shy when it comes to that kinda stuff. i'll try not to drag too much attention to myself... besides the fact that im not japanese. xP
thank you very much for your help Kates. that helped me more than you think. :D
jiro

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan