Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need feedback on possible new forum smilies. :)

Need feedback on possible new forum smilies. :)

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Re: Need feedback on possible new forum smilies. :)

Postby ss » Wed 06.03.2009 7:41 am

I love this forum too!!!
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby keatonatron » Wed 06.03.2009 8:51 am

phreadom wrote:And I suppose the main point is... what's wrong with them being newbie smilies?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm just saying, it's great that the same smileys can be both newbie smilies and Tony smilies depending on use. By introducing non-neutral smilies, you force everyone to appear the same, regardless of their own personality.

No matter what Tony writes, if he ended his post with one of those super cutesy animated smilies, it wouln't look like a Tony post and would undermine the reputation he has created here.

I know the old smilies won't go anywhere and Tony would still have the option of not using the new ones... but instead of forcing everyone who is looking for new smilies into the same style, I think it'd be better to have something with less personality of it's own.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.03.2009 10:24 am

Well, I do worry about making this into yet another forum like several people have mentioned... the magibon of Japanese forums if you will. ;)

I guess I was just trying to add a little fun. I have another set I'm going to put together a demo page for and get some opinions on those... maybe they're a little less over the top. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby coco » Wed 06.03.2009 11:02 am

Phreadom-san, we really thank you for all of your works as an admin for us.

I was worried that my comment on Japanese Learning Suite here might have made you and your friend feel TJP was unfriendly.

Although I couldn't find any post with searching the author's name as Scott, I have remembered his name because you mentioned his name on the thread.
I still want to know in which posts you or Scott-san felt TJP wasn't friendly.
If you don't mind, could you please tell us what was wrong to you?
I think we can learn from your explanation/opinion and it can be a clue to think about our attitude.

I just want to learn something from your opinion.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby AJBryant » Wed 06.03.2009 3:52 pm

Phreadom --

Just wanted to throw in something:

I *love* what you've been doing with the place. It's really very user friendly, and easy to find one's way around. In the find tradition of "the best government is the least visible," you're doing really a great job in that most people (m'self included) usually don't think twice that there's someone back there "doing stuff" to make things happen and keep them working.

It's just that I can't stand cutesy fuwa-fuwa smilies.

Now, if you want to make some custom smilies that suit us, perhaps something more simple like putting jingasa or kabuto or hachimaki or even chonmage on otherwise conventional smilies -- to just put a Japanese flavor on otherwise vanilla icons...?
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.03.2009 4:12 pm

coco wrote:Phreadom-san, we really thank you for all of your works as an admin for us.

I was worried that my comment on Japanese Learning Suite here might have made you and your friend feel TJP was unfriendly.

Although I couldn't find any post with searching the author's name as Scott, I have remembered his name because you mentioned his name on the thread.
I still want to know in which posts you or Scott-san felt TJP wasn't friendly.
If you don't mind, could you please tell us what was wrong to you?
I think we can learn from your explanation/opinion and it can be a clue to think about our attitude.

I just want to learn something from your opinion.

No, your comments were totally fine. :) I (we) know there are many mistakes in the version of the Tanaka Corpus we used, and with other parts of the program. I'm trying to get Scott to make some changes to fix these in the next version, but he's gotten obsessed with his new hobby of RC Helicopters and hasn't worked on JLS much in a year or so it seems. ;)

He never posted on here, as I was the one making the announcements about JLS etc. His username is "force". He was just reading the forums and got a bad impression I guess. :( I don't want to speak for him beyond that.

As for addressing some of the issues, I think I've made enough of a point of it already. I don't like that things got a little heated, so I'll just let that cool off for now rather than dig into it anymore for the moment.

AJBryant wrote:Phreadom --

Just wanted to throw in something:

I *love* what you've been doing with the place. It's really very user friendly, and easy to find one's way around. In the find tradition of "the best government is the least visible," you're doing really a great job in that most people (m'self included) usually don't think twice that there's someone back there "doing stuff" to make things happen and keep them working.

It's just that I can't stand cutesy fuwa-fuwa smilies.

Now, if you want to make some custom smilies that suit us, perhaps something more simple like putting jingasa or kabuto or hachimaki or even chonmage on otherwise conventional smilies -- to just put a Japanese flavor on otherwise vanilla icons...?

Can you point to some examples of stuff you would think would fit better?

I can look up the words you provide and try to get an idea, but some examples always helps to give me a better idea of exactly what you have in mind. :) I'm a visual person. Creating a custom set of our own isn't necessarily a bad idea... I'm just not really a cartoon type designer myself, so I'm not sure how good a job I could do on them. :(

Also, what size would you think would be acceptable? I admit, the 50x50 size is a bit overwhelming. ;)

I think 30x30 or so (even 32x32) isn't bad for special use "smilies", and 16x16 is correct for "in-line" smilies.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.03.2009 4:25 pm

BTW, I agree with you that the "alien-head" smilies are kind of ugly. Also I agree with coco and AJB's comments on the work you've done for the site.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby coco » Wed 06.03.2009 10:20 pm

Phreadoma-san, let me tell you one more thing.

When you joined TJP (Jan 06), Daisuke-san worked hard for us. He helped Clay-san a lot. But sometimes he seemed to lose his temper. We were not surprised because he was 16 or 17 at that time.

As for the idea of this being an elitist atmosphere, my friend Scott, who programs the Japanese Learning Suite, the very project that led me to TJP in the first place, refuses to come to this forum anymore because of how he felt the moderators acted.

Moderators and members here at when Force-san joined TJP didn't take an intolerant elitist attitude towards mistakes of Japanese Language.

I don't know how Force-san felt the moderators acted in TJP. But it is impossible for us to consider the feelings of the person who never made a post. (I checked here and found two comments by Force-san.)

Although his impression of TJP might have effected your impression of TJP, please understand that we couldn't take care of someone who didn't explain his feelings in the forums.

I've seen some members, like Chikara-san, Harisenbon-san, THT-san and so on, have occasionally expostulated with other members when they were too rude or too intolerant. And I think that that helped to keep atmosphere here better.

Next time you see members intimidate someone with intolerant elitist attitude, please point it out like you did on this post. I will do so when I feel so. That helps TJP to be a better place. Thank you.

--
Force-san seem to have registered TJP on Feb 2008 again. ( It can be a different person though)
--
Edit: I think we are lucky to have had the admins who always make consideration for new members. :)
Last edited by coco on Thu 06.04.2009 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
coco

Postby AJBryant » Wed 06.03.2009 11:18 pm

phreadom wrote:Can you point to some examples of stuff you would think would fit better?

I can try. In the Trek BBS, for example, all the smilies are Star Trek aliens. Oddly, the "google eye" one (essentially for "HUH???" is a Vulcan with two different sized eyes -- like someone blew his logic circuits).

In the Battlestar Galactica forum I'm on, they're all normal smilies, except they're wearing the old BSG Viper pilot helmets.

And then there's the Samurai History forum where they all have a more Japanese flavor. I can't seem to find any page that just shows the icons.... Sigh.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 06.04.2009 2:11 am

I feel a little (;_;) sad and even a bit (-_-#) angry that a discussion on smilies degraded into such a mystifying contentious conversation. I won't go on about that, but just want to say I hope this doesn't affect the overall mood of the forum, which is generally a friendly place to come and help each other with our common interest, which of course is studying Japanese. Let's not lose sight of that!

(^o^)v

As for the smilies, they are cute, but as many people around here I'm not a fan of animated smilies. What's wrong with home made ones?!?
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby phreadom » Thu 06.04.2009 10:06 am

coco-san: yes, those earlier comments on the JLS news item were him, as well as the newer account you posted. I'm not sure why his account now has the later registration date.

I will try to follow your advice and be more diplomatic in the future. :)

AJBryant: I see what you mean now. I also couldn't find any of the unique samurai smilies after a cursory search, but I think I get the idea. :)

tokai devotee: The only problem with homebrewing our own icons is that someone has to actually do it. ;)

I suppose I'm just wondering what kind of smilies I could make that would fit the existing theme, but be distinctly "ours". :?:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby clay » Thu 06.04.2009 10:30 am

I don't think I've said this before, but Coco-san, your English is amazing!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 06.04.2009 7:42 pm

clay wrote:I don't think I've said this before, but Coco-san, your English is amazing!

It actually took me a minute to notice that it was coco-san posting.
The amount your english has improved in the past few years is absolutely amazing. It should be an example for all the people on here learning Japanese to just how far you can progress in a few years.

(Someday you're going to have to teach me your secret. ;) )
Last edited by Harisenbon on Thu 06.04.2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby coco » Thu 06.04.2009 8:22 pm

coco

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 06.04.2009 10:14 pm

You should be dancing, Coco-san! Your English is great. I only wish that some day my Japanese will be as good as your English!
一緒に頑張りましょうね! :D
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions