Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How well does rosetta stone work?

How well does rosetta stone work?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: How well does rosetta stone work?

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 06.05.2009 1:48 am

Wow. Creating an account and placing advertising for rosetta stone in a Japanese Learning board.

If I had ever thought about buying or recommending Rosetta Stone to someone in the past, crappy choices in marketing tactics have convinced me to take my business elsewhere.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Sairana » Fri 06.05.2009 1:51 am

kriskraf wrote:I can tell you yes it work’s, I work for Rosetta stone and have used it my self. If you go to http://www.rosettastone.com you can get a free demo cd to let you try any of the 31 language Rosetta stone has to offer. They also give you a 6 mouth full money back guarantee even if you open it in you can return it any time with in 6 mouths for a full refunded.

It works by association, like when your mother shoed you a ball and then said the word ball, if you spend at lest a hour a day every day mon-fri for 6 mouths you will be practically fluent in the language. It’s all computer baste and there is no translation (because you really don’t learn by memorization) I promise you it works. Look on line and you will see a list of our kiosk, if you come to one of them we will show you the full program.

kriskraf wrote:And I will tell you on June 12th 2009 we are having a suppress sail of $100 off, tell the sales associate you want the sail of code K100

I'm a Rosetta Stone fan, and normally I don't tend to pick on misspellings too much. However, as you are an employee for Rosetta Stone -- perhaps working PR -- I must say, your poor English skills will severely hinder your ability to sell a LANGUAGE LEARNING program.

Makes me kind of embarrassed that I've defended RS for so long around here.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby furrykef » Fri 06.05.2009 7:39 am

I dunno, it could be an employee from a rival corporation trying to make Rosetta Stone look bad...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 06.05.2009 9:25 am

kriskraf wrote:It works by association, like when your mother shoed you a ball and then said the word ball

If the basis of rosetta stone is flawed perceptions of child language acquisition, that's not a great factor in favor of the program.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby fuzzycuffs » Fri 06.05.2009 1:15 pm

I tried it for a little while. I found that for vocabulary, it wasn't bad. But learning grammar, and then moving from romanji to kana/kanji was pretty difficult. I think it'd be a useful supplement to a real class. But I'd put them in this order:

Take Japanese 101, learn super basics (hiragana, katakana, basic grammar)
Start using Rosetta Stone in romanji/kana mode to learn vocabulary
Continue taking Japanese and learn more advanced grammar
Continue with Rosetta Stone
fuzzycuffs

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips