Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - TJP iPhone Apps - Kansai-ben

TJP iPhone Apps - Kansai-ben

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

TJP iPhone Apps - Kansai-ben

Postby clay » Mon 06.08.2009 9:38 pm

I haven't been around much lately due to a new addiction. We had modest success (not like any of the "gazillion-dollar-a-day" iPhone internet stories, mind you!) with our first app (Japanese Phrases) and this led me to buy my first Mac, cram Objective-C into my JavaScript head, and work up several iPhone app ideas.

Right now we have five apps in the app store: Japanese Phrases FREE, Japanese Phrases (not free), Idioms, Karate Vocab, & the newest--Kansai Dialect:

Harvey of JapanNewbie.com fame actually did all the hard work on this one. And it is his wife's voice you hear say "Maido!" We used a modified version of the original app, but I think it actually looks a lot nicer than the original app.

Please check out the Kansai-ben app! You will make Harvey's day I know.

Here is our iPhone landing page with screen shots and links to the iTunes pages:
http://thejapanesepage.com/iphone

Anyway, I would like to give out app coupons for those TJP members with iPhones or iTouches. Unfortunately (Apple's rules) I am pretty sure the coupons only work with the US app store. :( But if you are in the US and interested, please email or PM me. I would deeply appreciate a review in iTunes even if it is just few words, but that isn't required. I don't have very many coupons left (and only a handful for the Kansai-ben app), so first come, first served.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Re: TJP iPhone Apps - Kansai-ben

Postby furrykef » Tue 06.09.2009 9:21 am

clay wrote:Objective-C

Apple is still using that thing? o.O
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby clay » Tue 06.09.2009 11:00 am

furrykef wrote:
clay wrote:Objective-C

Apple is still using that thing? o.O

AUghhh. I don't like it one bit. But then again, I am not a programmer. Maybe it is super easy for most.
clay
Site Admin

Postby furrykef » Tue 06.09.2009 3:07 pm

I'm a programmer, but I've never used it (mainly 'cause I've found little reason to). I'd probably find it pretty easy. I'm just puzzled that Apple uses it because it's used virtually nowhere else, with C++ having taken over everything else -- and C++ itself is slowly giving way to newer technologies. C++ is most definitely not my favorite language, but I often have little choice but to use it...

- Kef
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 06.09.2009 7:54 pm

clay wrote:AUghhh. I don't like it one bit. But then again, I am not a programmer. Maybe it is super easy for most.

I've been thinking about getting into the iphone programming thing as well (the one thing stopping me is that I don't have nor care for an iphone).

How is objective C? Since it's such a new langauge, I'm assuming that it would be syntactically similar to java or C#, but I haven't gotten a chance to dabble in it yet. Was it hard to pick up?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby phreadom » Tue 06.09.2009 8:38 pm

Objective-C is 23 years old now (created in 1986)... 9 years older than Java, and 15 years older than C#, having made it's first real appearance back in 1988 on the NeXT systems as the primary language used on NEXTSTEP etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXT

Due to the relative obscurity of the NeXT systems (in spite of such notable events such as Tim Berners-Lee "inventing the World Wide Web" on a NeXT, and id software writing such genre defining games as Doom and Quake on NeXT systems etc), most people weren't introduced to the language until years later.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
He used similar ideas to those underlying the Enquire system to create the World Wide Web, for which he designed and built the first Web browser, which also functioned as an editor (WorldWideWeb, running on the NeXTSTEP operating system), and the first Web server, CERN HTTPd (short for HyperText Transfer Protocol daemon).

And from http://rome.ro/2006/12/apple-next-merger-birthday.html
Why do I care so much about NeXT computers? Because we at id Software developed the groundbreaking titles DOOM and Quake on the NeXTSTEP 3.3 OS running on a variety of hardware for about 4 years. I still remember the wonderful time I had coding DoomEd and QuakeEd in Objective-C; there was nothing like it before and there still is no environment quite like it even today.

(I own a NeXT station myself, so I'm a bit of an aficionado) ;)

Basically the entire system was years and years ahead of its time... I have a turbo color slab NeXT station with a 21" color monitor from 1991 with built in ethernet, sound, etc... in the size of a small pizza box basically. It's only 33mhz, but back then that's what you got. ;) More important than the hardware was the software though... the operating system itself was revolutionary.

I think the main problem was the price... it was just too high for anyone but the most dedicated users in academia or corporations to have access to. If not for that gaffe, I think the computing world would be a very different place today. Read just about any review from someone who used to work on the machines and I think you'll see what I mean.

Even Mac OS X today is really just a reworking of many of the core principles of NEXTSTEP. If you look at the early developer releases of what was going to be OS 10, code named Rhapsody, you can see how it was still very much like OS 9, with a dash of NeXT thrown in... then they took a big jump to the Dock icons and hardware acceleration etc... and initially didn't have the old finder bar up top at all... it was just a modernized version of NEXTSTEP blended with BSD Unix etc. (I'm probably mauling the technical details, but close enough)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective-C

That should give a little bit of a rundown on the language... I know I've been over the issue before with my programmer friends, but not being a real programmer myself I don't remember the details. :(

(sorry, I know I didn't directly answer your question, but I couldn't help but comment. ;) hehe)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 06.09.2009 9:27 pm

phreadom wrote:Objective-C is 23 years old now (created in 1986)... 9 years older than Java, and 15 years older than C#, having made it's first real appearance back in 1988 on the NeXT systems as the primary language used on NEXTSTEP etc.

Wow, I was not aware of that. I was under the impression that it was a recently mac-created language much like cocoa.
Learn Something new everyday. =)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby astaroth » Tue 06.09.2009 9:34 pm

Harisenbon wrote:Wow, I was not aware of that. I was under the impression that it was a recently mac-created language much like cocoa.

Cocoa is actually based on Objective-C (a subset maybe?). The reason Objective-C is present on mac osx is because the os is an offspring of BSD through NeXT (which Steve Jobs after leaving Apple in 1985).
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby phreadom » Tue 06.09.2009 11:03 pm

I think Cocoa could be better described as what the .NET Framework is to C# on Windows (very roughly speaking)... Cocoa is basically an API, or a framework of sorts, to use with Objective-C. It allows programs using it to share resources, speak to each other in a standard way etc.

Beyond that it's getting way over my head. ;)

In response to Astaroth's comment, a quote from Wikipedia with a few edits for clarification by me:

Mac OS X is based upon the Mach kernel (the NEXTSTEP kernel). Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementations of Unix were merged with parts of NEXTSTEP to become the core of Mac OS X.

NEXTSTEP was the object-oriented operating system developed by Steve Jobs' company NeXT after he left Apple in 1985.

While Jobs was away from Apple, Apple had tried to create a "next-generation" OS through the Taligent, Copland and Gershwin projects, with little success.

Eventually, NeXT's OS—then called OPENSTEP—was selected to be the basis for Apple's next OS, and Apple purchased NeXT outright. Steve Jobs returned to Apple as interim CEO, and later became CEO again, shepherding the transformation of the programmer-friendly OPENSTEP into a system that would be adopted by Apple's primary market of home users and creative professionals. The project was first known as Rhapsody and was later renamed to Mac OS X.

In a nutshell, Mac OS X uses Obj-C today because at its heart it is still NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP, which were themselves built upon Obj-C back in the late 80's and early 90's. The APIs still being used today, such as Cocoa etc, are used because of that heritage.

Again, from Wikipedia:

Cocoa is the continuation of several frameworks (primarily the App Kit and Foundation Kit) from the NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP programming environments developed by NeXT in the 1980s and 1990s. Apple acquired NeXT in December 1996, and subsequently went to work on the Rhapsody operating system that was supposed to be the direct successor of OPENSTEP. It was to have had an emulation base for Mac OS applications, called Blue Box. The OPENSTEP base of libraries and binary support was termed Yellow Box. Rhapsody evolved into Mac OS X, and the Yellow Box became Cocoa. As a result, Cocoa classes begin with the acronym "NS" (standing either for the NeXT-Sun creation of OPENSTEP, or for the original proprietary term for the OPENSTEP framework, NeXTSTEP): NSString, NSArray, etc.

All this stuff stems directly from those roots in NeXT 20 years ago. :P
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby clay » Wed 06.10.2009 2:48 pm

I wish I was as smart as you guys. I want to do so much. :)

Back to studying...
clay
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.10.2009 3:07 pm

clay wrote:I wish I was as smart as you guys. I want to do so much. :)

Back to studying...

I think harisenbon and I both feel a little guilty for hijacking your thread. :oops:

(Let's blame it on furrykef!) :mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby furrykef » Wed 06.10.2009 3:07 pm

Heh, well, I started it... ^^;
furrykef

Postby phreadom » Wed 06.10.2009 3:09 pm

furrykef wrote:Heh, well, I started it... ^^;

haha... I added the second line at the same time you posted your comment. Too fast! :P
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby clay » Thu 06.11.2009 7:16 am

No, I found it very interesting. The iPhone book I bought goes into the history a bit, but not as in depth. :)
clay
Site Admin

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips