Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to space out Anki decks

How to space out Anki decks

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How to space out Anki decks

Postby Kros » Mon 06.08.2009 10:51 pm

How do y'all usually space out when you change anki decks? Like If I wanted to do a deck for just kanji's from lesson 13 and the vocab for the same lesson? Also, until when should I do the decks? Do I stop using the decks after I finish the lesson or do I add the old decks to my new decks?
私は下痢でしょう。 :)
Kros

Re: How to space out Anki decks

Postby epokw » Tue 06.09.2009 5:31 am

I keep everything in one deck, makes reviews more interesting/varied, and no more deck organizing and all that stuff. Though no. of reviews are more intimidating.
epokw

Postby Kros » Tue 06.09.2009 6:25 am

How many cards do you put on review per day?
私は下痢でしょう。 :)
Kros

Postby furrykef » Tue 06.09.2009 9:27 am

I strongly recommend using just one deck. It mystifies me that so many people want to use multiple decks, which usually makes for extra effort for no practical benefit. I mean, you should be doing all your reviews every day anyway, right?

I have Spanish, Japanese, Italian, and Latin cards all in one deck. Currently I have 1281 facts for Spanish, 320 for Japanese, 112 for Italian, and 137 for Latin. I don't know how many cards that is, 'cause often I have two cards per fact (three cards in the case of Japanese), but I often have just one (or one or two in the case of Japanese) -- I avoid creating cards whose answer is too obvious. Currently I'm reviewing an average of 46.9 cards a day, but I haven't added many cards lately, so that number will likely shoot up to 100 if I go on a card-adding spree.

I find I tend to get annoyed when Latin cards come up -- I just don't like my Latin sentences -- so I might delete my Latin items...

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby epokw » Tue 06.09.2009 3:48 pm

Kros wrote:How many cards do you put on review per day?

Well... when I used to add 100-120 facts a day (heisig, sentences, vocab., school, Korean, world capitals), I got 300-600 reviews a day. I've slowed now, to 20-40 facts a day, I get around 80-180 reviews a day, and slowing down.

It's not the actual reviews that are intimidating. It's just the number. Having 180 reviews looks heck of a lot more intimidating than 3 decks with 60 cards pending. To combat this, I suspend some tags so the number looks smaller - but I don't always do it, I only do it if the number is putting me off.
epokw

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips