Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dragon Speech to Text Software

Dragon Speech to Text Software

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Dragon Speech to Text Software

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 06.09.2009 7:57 pm

I’ve been somewhat interested in getting Dragon Speech to Text Software (http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/) because it’d be nice to have for papers and etc… I’ve been wondering if there’s something similar for Japanese. Does anyone know or use software of this nature with Japanese? If yes, what’s the website or name?
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Re: Dragon Speech to Text Software

Postby Infidel » Tue 06.09.2009 8:04 pm

Nuance Dragon does have a Japanese version, it's even on their site. Probably works fine if you are a native speaker. A foreign accent will probably kill it.

Dragon is great. But it takes a while to train yourself to use it correctly. So it's NOT great if you have a paper due tomarrow. Allow yourself about 3x the normal time to write your first paper or two until you learn the right habits. Then it will be faster than most people type.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 06.09.2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 06.09.2009 8:06 pm

Language Versions Available

* Dutch
* English
* French
* German
* Italian
* Spanish

That's all I saw.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 06.09.2009 8:14 pm

Last edited by Stone_Cold on Tue 06.09.2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone_Cold

Postby Infidel » Tue 06.09.2009 8:33 pm

なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 06.09.2009 8:42 pm

My service provider won't allow me to enter the website when I select Japanese. I've been researching and I've found the Japanese version. They don't sell it on the website, but through retailers in Japan. Here are some websites: http://www.nuance.com/news/pressrelease ... _dnsjp.asp ----->>> http://kakaku.ascii.jp/item_list/?cat_i ... &view=list ----->>> http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/c ... 9c226ca149 Time for an update since the newest version's 2005. ;p
Last edited by Stone_Cold on Tue 06.09.2009 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stone_Cold

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 06.09.2009 8:53 pm

http://www.dragonspeech.jp/ Found the website when I searched it again. The product name's the same, but website's not. Searched ドラゴンスピーチ in Yahoo.
Stone_Cold

Postby CajunCoder » Sat 06.13.2009 3:03 pm

Seems like you would get a lot of 変換ミス with such a program. Personally, I prefer to type, but this program peaks my curiosity from a technical standpoint.
CajunCoder

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 06.14.2009 2:17 am

CajunCoder wrote:Seems like you would get a lot of 変換ミス with such a program. Personally, I prefer to type, but this program peaks my curiosity from a technical standpoint.

And he would have to be able to recognize the 変換ミス. Even native speakers miss those sometimes. And sometimes it could happen that the software gets it right and the user thinks it is wrong and "corrects" it. For example, an English version might render "piques my curiosity" and mistakenly get changed to "peaks my curiosity".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Sun 06.14.2009 7:01 am

Mike Cash wrote:And sometimes it could happen that the software gets it right and the user thinks it is wrong and "corrects" it. For example, an English version might render "piques my curiosity" and mistakenly get changed to "peaks my curiosity".

Wouldn't you have the same problem if you were tying it out by hand? Or does the speech-to-text software give people false confidence to use phrases they don't really know how to spell? :wink:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Return to Japanese General Discussion