Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 加納麟太朗

加納麟太朗

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

加納麟太朗

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 06.16.2009 8:49 am

As some people may know I've been expecting a baby. Well I'm expecting no longer. 加納麟太朗 (Rintarou Karl Kanou) was born this morning at 7:16 am, June 16th, Japan time. He weighs 3175 grams and is healthy and quite a handsome devil if I do say so myself. Anyone interested in more details can PM me or check the blog link in my profile.

I probably won't be around very much any more with all the new responsibilities, but I'll make sure to drop in from time to time to see how things are going. I really love this site and all the great people I've met here! Thanks to clay, phreadom, zen and everyone else for making this such a great place to study and gather!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: 加納麟太朗

Postby fielle » Tue 06.16.2009 8:58 am

BABY! Congratulations on healthy babydom!

You will be missed around here, don't disappear completely!
fielle

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.16.2009 9:05 am

Congratulations.. new babies are always such a charming thing. enjoy your time with the little one. we'll miss you, so make sure to drop by, when you are up at midnight wondering why you can't go to sleep..
two_heads_talking

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 06.16.2009 9:05 am

Congratulations!!
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby clay » Tue 06.16.2009 9:31 am

Congratulations! Wow! What a blessing.

The first few weeks you will feel like a zombie, but once the baby sleeps most of the night, things actually calm down. It is like the eye of a hurricane, I think. Once they start crawling and then running (not walking) then you will feel like a zombie again.

Congratulations! Such wonderful news. :) Not now, but when he starts sleeping more than you do, please post pictures or links to pictures.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 06.16.2009 10:06 am

Thanks everyone! I won't disappear completely, I love this site too much. Here is a link to some pictures for anyone interested. Baby Rin-rin
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby coco » Tue 06.16.2009 1:32 pm

ベッキーさん、よかった! :D
3175グラムの丈夫な男の子が誕生されたとのこと
心よりお慶び申し上げます。

写真を拝見しましたが麟太朗くんのおめめ、ベッキーさんに似てますね。 :)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby jimbreen » Tue 06.16.2009 8:14 pm

becki_kanou wrote:As some people may know I've been expecting a baby. Well I'm expecting no longer. 加納麟太朗 (Rintarou Karl Kanou) was born this morning at 7:16 am, June 16th, Japan time. He weighs 3175 grams and is healthy and quite a handsome devil if I do say so myself. Anyone interested in more details can PM me or check the blog link in my profile.

Congratulations! (I did wonder about those words like 産後サポーター, 和痛分娩, 陣痛促進剤, 等 that you'd been putting into EDICT lately.)

I won't tell my wife. All her friends have grandchildren and she's getting jealous.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby Disco » Tue 06.16.2009 9:58 pm

Congratulations! That's an excellent name that you picked out for him, and I'm sure that he will be quite proud of it.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 06.16.2009 10:15 pm

Congratulations becki!
Glad that your childbirth went smoothly, and you have a beautiful baby boy to show for it!

Looking foward to talking to you after things calm down with the newborn.
Take care, and congratulations to your family!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Wed 06.17.2009 7:40 am

Congratulations!!

That's a *very* interesting name. Mind letting us know how you came about choosing it?

Have you already decided whether he's going to Keiô or Tôdai? ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 06.17.2009 8:26 am

Thanks everyone!

About the name, I chose りんたろう because I've always liked the sound of it, and when I was an ALT I had a wonderful student called 林太郎. He was smart and friendly, a good student, funny and good at sports and I became good friends with his whole family. I planned to call the baby 林太郎 as well, but my husband nixed the first character saying people would think it was the full name and call him はやし たろう.

So we thought about some other characters and 麟 was the one we liked the best since it has such a good meaning. (A harbinger of good fortune.) We picked 太朗 instead of the usual 太郎 because of the stroke count, but also because we liked the meaning.

Tony- I bet you were thinking of 勝海舟/勝麟太朗, am I right?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby astaroth » Wed 06.17.2009 8:42 am

Congratulations, Becki-san.

becki_kanou wrote:We picked 太朗 instead of the usual 太郎 because of the stroke count

I couldn't help wondering about this. Do people usually choose names based on stroke count? For some numerology reason, like 8 being related to good fortune and so on ...
I wonder about the number of strokes for the name you chose: 太郎 is 4+9 -- as far as I know 4 is considered unlucky in Japanese culture, is it also 9? 太朗 is 4+10 = 14 = 7+7 but this is mostly a western thing, isn't it?
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby jimbreen » Wed 06.17.2009 7:14 pm

becki_kanou wrote:About the name, I chose りんたろう because I've always liked the sound of it, and when I was an ALT I had a wonderful student called 林太郎. He was smart and friendly, a good student, funny and good at sports and I became good friends with his whole family. I planned to call the baby 林太郎 as well, but my husband nixed the first character saying people would think it was the full name and call him はやし たろう.

That's a pretty good reason.
So we thought about some other characters and 麟 was the one we liked the best since it has such a good meaning. (A harbinger of good fortune.) We picked 太朗 instead of the usual 太郎 because of the stroke count, but also because we liked the meaning.

I guess it's pretty recognizable, despite being a 人名用漢字, rather than 常用. Why did you go with 太朗 rather than the more common 太郎? (BTW, 麟太朗 wasn't in ENAMDICT, so I have just added it.)

Jim
jimbreen

Postby AJBryant » Thu 06.18.2009 8:30 am

becki_kanou wrote:Tony- I bet you were thinking of 勝海舟/勝麟太朗, am I right?

You mean 勝麟太郎. :)

LOL! Am I that transparent?

Edo generally bores me, but when you move toward Bakumatsu, it gets interesting again. :)

It doesn't seem likely to ever happen now, but I always figured if I had a daughter, I'd name her 奈穂美 -- cause "Naomi" also works in English. (I think my favorite girl's name is "Akane" but I know everyone *here* would read it as "a cane.")

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to General off topic