Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English pet peeves

English pet peeves

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Re: English pet peeves

Postby Disco » Tue 06.16.2009 12:49 am

My English pet peeves are; worsh (wash), mayzhure (measure), Hellycoptuhr (helicopter) veeh-uh (via), die-uh-beet-is ( ITS DIABETES PEOPLE!!!), lee-vuhr (lever), uh-loo-mih-num ( aluminium). I wonder if anyone says ALL OF THESE. I might have to punch them.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Tue 06.16.2009 1:22 am

Disco wrote:My English pet peeves are; worsh (wash), mayzhure (measure), Hellycoptuhr (helicopter) veeh-uh (via), die-uh-beet-is ( ITS DIABETES PEOPLE!!!), lee-vuhr (lever), uh-loo-mih-num ( aluminium). I wonder if anyone says ALL OF THESE. I might have to punch them.

I bet you don't like it when people say 'crick' instead of creek, too. :P Basically your pet peeves are all accents that are different from yours? Because none of those are mispronunciations, they're just regional.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Disco » Tue 06.16.2009 1:37 am

Sairana wrote:
Disco wrote:My English pet peeves are; worsh (wash), mayzhure (measure), Hellycoptuhr (helicopter) veeh-uh (via), die-uh-beet-is ( ITS DIABETES PEOPLE!!!), lee-vuhr (lever), uh-loo-mih-num ( aluminium). I wonder if anyone says ALL OF THESE. I might have to punch them.

I bet you don't like it when people say 'crick' instead of creek, too. :P Basically your pet peeves are all accents that are different from yours? Because none of those are mispronunciations, they're just regional.

I took the brittish way of saying most words, but without talking like I'm from there ( if that makes sense)
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby AJBryant » Tue 06.16.2009 4:31 am

My pet peeve is English idioms that are English ports of foreign language idiom -- that don't work grammatically in English.

One I've seen a lot is "It needs (verb-past tense)" -- as in, "the car needs washed" or "the house needs painted."

No.

The car needs TO BE washed, and the house needs TO BE painted.

<ahem>

Sorry.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.16.2009 9:11 am

Disco wrote:
Sairana wrote:

I took the brittish way of saying most words, but without talking like I'm from there ( if that makes sense)

I hope you don't run into one of the people who speaks with the dialect/accent you hate that also hates the fake English one you choose.. that could be interesting.

@Tony, I've always found it odd that people use need for inanimate objects. The house must be washed sounds so much better to me than needs to be.. As if the house has needs.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby ニッキー » Tue 06.16.2009 10:06 am

How would you pronounce them? Particularly helicopter, diabetes and lever... I've never heard them any other way than how you just said (although I can only guess at what pronunciations you're trying to represent so maybe I just misunderstood)
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby Disco » Tue 06.16.2009 9:50 pm

ニッキー wrote:

How would you pronounce them? Particularly helicopter, diabetes and lever... I've never heard them any other way than how you just said (although I can only guess at what pronunciations you're trying to represent so maybe I just misunderstood)

helicopter (hell-ih-cop-tuhr), diabetes (dai-uh-bii-tease), and lever (leh-vurr). I know people who say "worsh" or "mayzhure" all the time. They're not doing it to piss me off ( I don't become infuriated, I just notice it and it makes me cringe), it's just how they say it. Heaven knows why I'm programmed like that, but it's not a real big issue to me. :lol:
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Disco » Tue 06.16.2009 9:53 pm

AJBryant wrote:My pet peeve is English idioms that are English ports of foreign language idiom -- that don't work grammatically in English.

One I've seen a lot is "It needs (verb-past tense)" -- as in, "the car needs washed" or "the house needs painted."

No.

The car needs TO BE washed, and the house needs TO BE painted.

<ahem>

Sorry.

Tony

That's my grandmother!; " Oh, quit lazing around and mind your grandmother. the dishes need washed, the pans scrubbed, and the catbox done. I need to go Mayzhure something" :lol:
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 06.16.2009 11:29 pm

I don't know if that's a foreign language import. "needs washed" is a pretty common element of American dialect.

(As for "aluminum", that's the standard American pronunciation; "aluminium" is not.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Wed 06.17.2009 7:43 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I don't know if that's a foreign language import. "needs washed" is a pretty common element of American dialect.

Only *regionally*. It's primarily western Pennsylvania and other areas where there was heavy German immigration.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Wed 06.17.2009 8:52 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:... "needs washed" is a pretty common element of American dialect. ...

It is :o

Yudan Taiteki wrote:... As for "aluminum", that's the standard American pronunciation ....

Pronunciation and spelling. I would have thought to say "aluminium" in the USA would be considered incorrect, although I see Disco is Californian. The rest of the world (mostly) uses the extra "i".
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.17.2009 9:39 am

AJBryant wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:I don't know if that's a foreign language import. "needs washed" is a pretty common element of American dialect.

Only *regionally*. It's primarily western Pennsylvania and other areas where there was heavy German immigration.

It also shows up in Scottish English, though.

(what I meant above is that it's a fairly common element of regional dialects in the US; it's not a part of standard American English.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Thu 06.18.2009 8:21 am

You're right, I just checked -- it's a Scottish dialectical thingie. I'd thought German. Huh.

At any rate, it's still substandard English -- as much dialect is -- grammatically speaking.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Thu 06.18.2009 8:58 pm

AJBryant wrote:..... it's still substandard English ....

Don't ever say that to a Scot or you may be adding "Glasgow Kiss" to your vocabulary. :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby AJBryant » Fri 06.19.2009 7:41 am

:lol:
AJBryant
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習