Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Majoring in Japanese or Asian Studies

Majoring in Japanese or Asian Studies

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Majoring in Japanese or Asian Studies

Postby furrykef » Fri 05.01.2009 1:39 pm

I'm thinking about going back to school, but I think if I do I want to major in Japanese or Asian Studies. The first problem is, I don't know if there even is a school around here (Oklahoma City) where I can do that... I know that the University of Central Oklahoma offers Japanese classes, but I think the most you can get is a minor in Asian Studies. Anybody got any idea on where to find out for sure if I can major in Japanese around here? And what would majoring in Japanese entail?

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: Majoring in Japanese or Asian Studies

Postby Disco » Fri 06.19.2009 10:18 pm

[ Don't quote me on this]. Yeah, ever since I took the SAT- I've gotten a never-ending stream of college brochures. All of them (so far) offer Japanese as a minor only. I think majoring in Japanese would be exactly how it sounds. I can't think of a job in which that would be applicable ( unless you become a Japanese teacher...) unless it's a translator or something. What you COULD do ( what I want to do...) is take the proficiency ( I think JLPT 2 is required for Japanese college ) test and go to a Japanese college, whether it's directly or through a sister school in your country of residence. What my Spanish teacher did, is she took like, 8-10 years of Spanish in high school/ college ( I don't know if it was major or minor, I assume major if shes a teacher), married a Mexican man, frequently visits Spanish-speaking countries, and now teaches the language. It all depends on what floats your boat [ I'm rambling now...but there's my 2 cents ]
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Native language: English

Postby Masilaca » Sat 06.20.2009 12:34 am

Don't think I can help you in terms of location, but the school I'm attending (in Florida) has a halfway decent Asian Studies major and is trying to make a Japanese major (currently a concentration). But yeah, I can't think of much you can do with a language major besides teach, translate, or work somewhere the language is spoken. An advantage I've noticed for Asian Studies is that it offers a more well-rounded view at the whole region, but that's only based on what I've seen at my school (and it's not actually my major).
Masilaca

Postby spin13 » Sat 06.20.2009 12:50 am

furrykef wrote:Anybody got any idea on where to find out for sure if I can major in Japanese around here?

Have you tried anything radical like calling the schools?

Disco wrote:( I think JLPT 2 is required for Japanese college )

Surprisingly enough, to enter a Japanese university you need to take the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU).
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Return to Japanese General Discussion