Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Please help

Please help

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Please help

Postby Blackgem » Mon 11.07.2005 7:31 pm

this site doesn't help:(
A message im my cereal! ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Blackgem

Postby nprz » Mon 11.07.2005 9:06 pm

This site is not a replacement for normal methods of research. Rather than asking lots of specific questions, you could ask questions about how to conjugate verbs, adjectives, and about particles. With that knowledge you could ask for corrections to the Japanese you make. This is what learning is, if you can't stand it, there are translation services at http://www.worldlingo.com.
I think http://www.wwwjdic.com is a great dictionary and offers examples of a majority of the often-used words
nprz

Postby Blackgem » Tue 11.22.2005 1:07 am

how do i say "sorry about yesterday" in japanese?;)
A message im my cereal! ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Blackgem

Postby AJBryant » Tue 11.22.2005 2:36 pm

how do i say "sorry about yesterday" in japanese?

Well, what are you apologizing for?

A general apology might be "Kinou no koto, moushiwake arimasen." (Kinou no koto = "that thing yesterday"; moushiwake arimasen = "I have no excuse"). And don't forget to bow while saying it. Introduce the topic ("Kinou no koto...") now BOW and HOLD it ("moushiwake arimasen") and un-bow.

Tony

Edited cause it kept making my punctuation into smilies! Grr.
Last edited by AJBryant on Tue 11.22.2005 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby ParanoiaK3 » Tue 11.22.2005 3:54 pm

Ya know... instead of like, translating all the time, and not knowing for sure what your saying, like I could say "Watashi wa baka desu." and you might think it means "I like pancakes".

You should actually teach yourself Japanese, take classes online, or buy a textbook because it's not that hard, and fun. Learn when you're in Japan too. You don't have to know it all right away. Learn the basics because that's all you need to know to answer your own questions.

Get a vocabulary list for Level 4 JLPT, learn it, don't just ask because there are certain things you have to know like pronunciation.

Desu = Dess, not desoo. Stuff like that.

Kyou = Kyoh not Kyow

Catchin' the drift? It's a useless thread if you just ask for translation.:(
日本は好きです。
ParanoiaK3

Postby mandolin » Tue 11.22.2005 4:44 pm

Desu is.. err... desoo. Just because in rapid speech vowels tend to sound like they're dropped or half-whispered doesn't mean they're not there at all.

It sounds like dess at the end of a sentence, but you will hear all the vowels when someone says "desu yo" or "desu ne" and so forth. It's better to overpronounce in the beginning anyway.
mandolin

Postby AaRoN » Tue 11.22.2005 4:55 pm

nprz wrote:
At least once you learn some of the language you don't have to tell people to speak to you in Japanese.

Even if you are Japanese, there are plenty of Japanese-American that go to Japan to study Japanese. I bet it feels more embarrassing saying you can't speak Japanese at all and are Japanese descent.

Don't worry though, once you try to speak they will realize you don't know the language. This is why I never recommend people learn "I'm sorry but I'm not any good at Japanese" because once they get good at saying that, they just seem modest rather then honest ;)

Sumimasen, nihongo ga wakarimasen. would probably get the point across without seeming modest :D
I'm Irish and along with most people from Ireland can't actually speak native gaelic Irish....Its isn't that i haven't tried just i didnt like the Language :|
I don't understand.......Why can't i fly????
AaRoN

Postby Kates » Wed 11.23.2005 10:28 am

AJBryant wrote:
Edited cause it kept making my punctuation into smilies! Grr.

I TOTALLY hate that, too. I'm in the habit of always checking that stupid box now, though. I wish there was a way to set it in my profile, though...
Last edited by Kates on Wed 11.23.2005 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kates

Postby AJBryant » Wed 11.23.2005 1:20 pm

I don't mind the smilies, usually... but there are times when something should be a smily (say, a semicolon-closing parenthesis combination) but it keeps turning OTHER combinations, like a period-closing paren, into a smily, but there's no smily properly defined by that combination. Grrrrr.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan