Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Purchasing Assistance

Purchasing Assistance

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

What's your preferred computer brand?

Poll ended at Sat 07.18.2009 6:36 pm

EUROCOM
No votes
LENOVO
No votes
ASUS
No votes
MALIBAL
17%
FALCON NORTHWEST
No votes
MSI NOTEBOOK
33%
NOVATECH
No votes
BIOHAZARD
No votes
HYPERSONIC
No votes
OTHER… POST IT
50%

Total votes : 6

Purchasing Assistance

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 06.23.2009 6:36 pm

I’m an advanced computer user and I’m about to invest in another computer for studying [etc…]. Nevertheless, there’re multitudes of laptops and I need some help with coming to a final decision. Please post your review on a personal purchase of a laptop and what you currently think about it (Excluding All Netbooks, Dells, & HPs). Opinions are welcome, but not aggressive/hateful posts.

General Requirements
Price Limit: $2,500.00 (Some Acceptations)
CPU: Min. Dual/Quad 2.5+GHz Preferred 2.8+GHz (Excluding AMD CPUs etc…)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce Processor[s] Preferred 200M Series
HDD: Min. 500GB+ 7,200RPM+ w/ Optional Multi Boot F: Dual OS (w/ Optional Additional HDD)
RAM: Min. High Speed DDR3 6-8+GB Preferred 1333MHz (Excluding DDR & DDR2)
Screen: 15+inch Touch/Multi-touch Screen
The computer must continuously withstand large data loads. Business/ETC… laptops are acceptable.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Re: Purchasing Assistance

Postby astaroth » Tue 06.23.2009 7:52 pm

There's no Apple. I'm using a Mac as Windows is substandard when one's working in Academia (and lately I don't have the time anymore to follow all the quirks of Linux).
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 06.23.2009 8:51 pm

Who’s MALIBAL?
MALIBAL (http://www.malibal.com/) has pretty impressive laptops. The model Nine Series contains the best desktop hardware squeezed into a laptop. This hardware was never intended for laptops. However, the major con of the nine series is it’s too expensive. The laptop has around the same capabilities of a [un-overclocked] gaming desktop. Compare the Alienware ALX X58 (http://www.alienware.com/) with the Malibal Nine Series laptop and you’ll see some large similarities. Yes, the ALX X58 is obviously much faster/better, but take into consideration the available space for the hardware. I’ve never owned a Malibal laptop, but they seem alright for those who can afford them.

Why not Dell or HP? or Alienware?
The main reason’s because Dell’s screwed its owners with their support service and etc… Secondly, I own a Dell that’s mechanically falling apart. Thirdly, my family/friends/acquaintances have had multiple problems with their Dell or HP computers. Their hard drives kept dyeing in their HP laptops and etc… Also, I don’t like Alienware since Dell now owns the brand. Perhaps they’ll change their regular trend, but I simply don’t like Dell or HP.

Why not Apple?
I personally don’t like Apple products for multiple reasons. The computers they offer are cosmetically pretty, but many lack processing power [etc…]. Also, Apple (Including Others) intentionally holds back technology [etc…] for profit. …… Concluding, I’m simply not fond of Apple products.

ETC... ^?^ ^o^ : P
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 06.24.2009 7:40 am

I'll ask gently.....What's an "acceptation"?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Stone_Cold » Wed 06.24.2009 5:08 pm

What's an "acceptation"? ---->>>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acceptation

Oops… it’s a typo… meant exception lol ^0^ : P . Thank you for catching that since I haven't noticed. :mrgreen:
Stone_Cold

Postby AJBryant » Thu 06.25.2009 11:51 am

You don't have Apple there.

I'm a Mac-or-death guy.

(That being said, I *also* have a Sony Vaio so I can play games...)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.25.2009 1:29 pm

I can't comment on any of the models/brands you have there. I've used Dell or GAteway for the last 15 or so years.. I've never had any problems with them, save a harddrive failure (on a 5 year old computer) and a circuit board short circuit, because I crossed a wire, stupid me.

As for advanced computing, I'm surprised you don't have sun systems or Cray computers.. Although for a cray, you'll likely fork out 10,000+ for their cheaper options.. Let's just say that Cray doesn't even show their prices, you have to request a quote from them (it's in the if you have to ask, you can't afford it; category.)
two_heads_talking

Postby phreadom » Thu 06.25.2009 1:39 pm

Cray makes laptops? ;)

(Just pointing out that he was asking specifically about laptops. Sun on the other hand does actually have laptops... :mrgreen: )
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby astaroth » Thu 06.25.2009 2:09 pm

I don't think he was asking computers for serious computing, like numerical simulation or heavy montecarlo (besides I think for these tasks a desktop would be more appropriate), but more for gaming as my understanding is that that is what alienware mostly does: provide a powerful laptop for gamers.
Though for gaming I still don't understand why to buy a laptop. If some hardware was never intended for a laptop a reason must be somewhere. The first that comes to mind is: power drainage ...

By the way, once I saw a numerical simulation of a protein bending on a Sun: that was awesome!
[edit] I never saw a Sun laptop though ...
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 06.25.2009 10:02 pm

I would've given more choices for computer brands, but I assumed I was limited to displaying only ten choices. Gaming/Enthusiast computers usually have more brains than typical desktops/laptops. Nevertheless, I'm not using this laptop for gaming purposes. I need something that's portable and can handle graphic intensive tasks when I'm unable to use something more stationary; though, not too intensive. lol Still, I will be using this computer for general tasks as well.
Why Dual OSs?
There’re benefits for using non-Windows operating systems, but obviously negatives as well. Thus, having two operating systems would be beneficial. Especially, since HDDs are much larger than past HDDs. Explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_boot *
What’s a Multi-Touch Screen? Do you mean Touch Screen?
No, a multi-touch screen and a standard touch screen are not the same. They have similarities, but are in fact different. Explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch, http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/iphone2.htm, and http://multi-touch-screen.net/. *
Apple Opinion Continued…
Again, I’m not fond of Apple products for multiple reasons. That doesn’t mean I don’t like Apple products entirely. Though, their Mac Pro Desktop’s pretty impressive. Nevertheless, the topic’s about laptops.
Thread Topic?
I don’t mind TJP members posting their opinion and posting information about desktops and etc… However, please remember this thread’s intended for discussion about laptops [etc…]. ^o^ : P
Clarify…
I’m not looking for a supercomputer inside a barebones laptop frame, but I need something powerful enough to handle my needs. lol I’ve already given an idea of what I’m looking for. I’m not requesting members go search for me; instead, I’m interested in those individuals who’ve already purchased a laptop and etc… However, if you’re interested in looking up information about computers, go ahead. ^?^ : P
Stone_Cold

Postby astaroth » Fri 06.26.2009 9:36 am

Stone_Cold wrote:Gaming/Enthusiast computers usually have more brains than typical desktops/laptops. Nevertheless, I'm not using this laptop for gaming purposes. I need something that's portable and can handle graphic intensive tasks

As you know if you need to work intensively on photo or video editing, graphic cards are more important than the processor power, as the computing would be shared. Then again it depends whether is photo editing or video editing: the former can be done reasonably well on any computer, while the latter requires a pretty powerful card. Personally I don't care much for video editing so I can't really point in any direction.
Stone_Cold wrote:Why Dual OSs?

I think nowadays any computer would allow for dual booting (even Mac's!) so that's pretty much not an issue, I think. Of course one should be careful to check whether all the hardware is supported by the 'other' OS.
Stone_Cold wrote:Apple Opinion Continued…

de gustibus ...
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby Stone_Cold » Tue 07.07.2009 7:48 pm

[Off-Topic]
I've been doing some research and it's quite pitiful how far ahead [Moore's Law] computers could be if computer companies would stop intentionally holding back technology for profit. There're so many simple changes that could radically change the speed and reliability of computers. "R&D first?" No, actually these technologies are already available, but haven't/are [rarely] used. ... ... ... ...

<------------------------------------------------------>

I've been doing some research and I'm beginning to come to a conclusion. I've been looking at multiple brands and etc... to hopefully find the right computer. Yea, too many. X:^P- Quite frankly, I'm tired of ###### computers, but since I'm a perfectionist... I must find exactly what I'm looking for. ####!!!! lol Also, I've been looking up information on servers and I've found that some companies are indeed turning to liquid cooling. Thus far, I've found one company that offers full rack setup that's specially made for liquid cooling. "Why are you going to liquid cool a server?" To make the system much more stable. "Why are you going to overclock it?" I'm not... you don't have to overclock your system to have a liquid cooling setup. "What company[s]?" http://www.dalco.ch/products/liquid_cooled_rack/ http://www.42u.com/liquid-cooling-article.htm http://www.dailytech.com/IBM+Delivers+Production+Liquid+Cooling+Servers/article11579.htm Etc... Search Liquid Cooled Server[s].
Stone_Cold

Postby Sairana » Tue 07.07.2009 9:36 pm

Stone_Cold wrote:[Off-Topic]
"Why are you going to liquid cool a server?" To make the system much more stable.

Liquid cooling doesn't contribute to stability on principle, only if you have/anticipate a heat issue with your servers. The linked sites have a point, people are shoving servers into smaller and smaller spaces, creating more and more heat issues and a market for liquid cooling. But just like with a desktop PC, if you aren't overheating without it, a liquid setup isn't going to do anything for your performance or stability.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.07.2009 10:27 pm

While it might not increase stability and/or performance, it can extend the life of components that would otherwise run hot enough to shorten their lifespan. While they wouldn't technically be overheating, running a cool chip rather than a hot one can extend its lifespan. :)

At that point it just depends if the additional cost of a watercooling system is worth it.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.09.2009 6:04 am

"Why are you going to liquid cool a server?" To make the system much more stable."

Liquid cooling doesn't contribute to stability on principle, only if you have/anticipate a heat issue with your servers. The linked sites have a point, people are shoving servers into smaller and smaller spaces, creating more and more heat issues and a market for liquid cooling. But just like with a desktop PC, if you aren't overheating without it, a liquid setup isn't going to do anything for your performance or stability.

Actually, that's partially true, but you've got to remember it depends on the actual setup that person's [they are] using. Most systems are indeed pretty stable in desired conditions. Though, there's also the times when servers aren't in desired conditions. These conditions can be limited space, bad ventilation, cramped clusters, and etc... Therefore, those are the times when the conditions aren't what we'd like them to be.

Liquid cooling does offer more benefits than traditionally air cooled systems. ...AC units, processor fans, rack fans, and etc... (depending on the setup)... Now consider how much power that system's drawing and its real effectiveness with dissipating heat or wear. Liquid cooling systems (again, depending on the setup) are much more effective with dissipating heat and wear on electrical components. Also, some liquid cooling systems would actually draw less power than an air cooled setup. There're multiple benifits that in the long-run would save that person [them] money. Concluding, that there're benefits with a well built liquid cooling system that (in some sense) outweighs some cons.
Stone_Cold

Next

Return to General off topic