Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Non JIS-kanji

Non JIS-kanji

Do you have a translation question?

Non JIS-kanji

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 07.02.2009 3:48 pm

I came across a kanji in my research that's not in the JIS 1 or 2 set so it's not in my electronic dictionary, and the library is closed for renovation so I can't look there. It's 徒 with 戸 over it (minus the bar on top of 戸). The word it appears in is 御脱X (with X being the unknown kanji), and the word should mean something along the lines of an Emperor abdicating his position or a retirement or something like that.

The context is 古語 so it may not be of any help, (it's from 湖月抄) but I'll provide it anyway just in case. 御脱X有て御いとまある故に、ただ人のやうに藤壺にそひおはします故に、御ひまなきと也。

Anyone have any clue what this is?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Re: Non JIS-kanji

Postby JaySee » Thu 07.02.2009 4:20 pm

Could it be 屣 (シ ぞうり straw sandals or slippers that have no heel-backs [JIS212])? Not exactly the character you described, but maybe close enough...

Along with the 脱 it might mean something like "take off your footwear" (though I don't really know of course). 脱屣 gets about 1.1 million google hits, mostly Chinese, so it seems to be an existing combination.
Last edited by JaySee on Thu 07.02.2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Hyperworm » Thu 07.02.2009 4:22 pm

Looks like it's . (The enclosed part is slightly different from 徒.)

Hard to find information on it, but I did turn up this page which says 脱屣 is read だつし (だっし?) and means 退位. :)
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
Hyperworm

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 07.02.2009 4:36 pm

Thanks!! I'm pretty sure the だっし is right.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 07.03.2009 10:00 am

But man, this is sometimes tough to read -- at least the early 20th century edition put punctuation and dakuten in the text, but the kanji use is still sometimes old-fashioned. I just today saw 爰に for ここに ("here", as in 爰に初めて見えたり), then sometimes the notes are in 漢文 or quote things without identification. I guess it's easier than the other editions of some of the less user-friendly commentaries which have no punctuation or dakuten, and contain liberal splashings of 漢文 with no 訓点 or any kind of helps. I better get used to it, though.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby furrykef » Sat 07.04.2009 4:06 am

I know you already got the answer, but did you try simply writing the kanji in the IME using the IME pad? I had no problem getting Microsoft's IME to produce the character, even though I got the last few strokes completely wrong (I guess I wasn't looking at the character).
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 07.04.2009 9:54 am

I can't get the IME pad to work on my computer for some reason, but in any case, the original kanji wouldn't have come up since it's not on the JIS list (it was an 異体字 for 屣; I looked at the original kanji again and it's definitely 徒.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby furrykef » Sat 07.04.2009 1:40 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:but in any case, the original kanji wouldn't have come up since it's not on the JIS list

No, but 屣 probably would have come up anyway. As I said, I mangled the kanji worse than the actual form and it showed up fine.

A shame you can't get the IME pad to work. What's wrong with it (i.e., what's it doing or not doing)?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion