Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bathroom humor

Bathroom humor

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby keatonatron » Fri 07.03.2009 8:35 am

I figured it was a typo on your part, but I wasn't sure.

The sentence itself sounded fine to me.... until just now.

Grammatically, 水を流す is the 詰まりの原因, right?

"Please flush after use, because it causes the toilet to get clogged" :lol:
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby Hyperworm » Fri 07.03.2009 8:46 am

I think your translation is right but your interpretation is wrong.
I think the 詰まりの原因 is politely omitted, and could be represented in a translation by "it".

"Please flush after use, because [otherwise] it causes (the toilet) to get clogged"

Perhaps, above a urinal is the wrong place for this sign...??
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
User avatar
Hyperworm
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue 11.20.2007 2:26 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby sei » Fri 07.03.2009 8:54 am

Hyperworm wrote:
Perhaps, above a urinal is the wrong place for this sign...??


I had been thinking the same for awhile now..... :lol:
Image
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
User avatar
sei
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri 03.30.2007 3:34 pm
Location: Portugal
Native language: Portuguese
Gender: Female

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 07.03.2009 10:02 am

Mike Cash wrote:Since everyone focused solely on my typographical error I assume that the oddness of the sentence itself is so readily apparent as to elicit no comment.


I assumed the typo was the problem -- I agree with hyperworm than the 糞が is politely omitted, perhaps? :)
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 07.03.2009 7:42 pm

sei wrote:
Hyperworm wrote:Perhaps, above a urinal is the wrong place for this sign...??

I had been thinking the same for awhile now..... :lol:


For some reason I completely glossed over the part where mike said urinal. :/
That makes it much more entertaining. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 07.04.2009 6:01 am

Hyperworm wrote:I think your translation is right but your interpretation is wrong.
I think the 詰まりの原因 is politely omitted, and could be represented in a translation by "it".

"Please flush after use, because [otherwise] it causes (the toilet) to get clogged"

Perhaps, above a urinal is the wrong place for this sign...??


But as written the sign technically indicates that flushing is the cause of the pipes getting clogged up (and that such clogging is the desired outcome). Of course, no one is stupid enough to misinterpret the intended message of the sign in such a nonsensical way. I asked a couple of native speakers to verify my gaijin suspicion that I had found the construction of the sentence was odd, and got an 言われてみれば reaction.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby Hyperworm » Sat 07.04.2009 8:24 am

Wow, really, that's the problem? :shock: (congrats to keatonatron)
I thought the use of ので here was natural as (e.g.) an omission of the first part in

(そうしないと)詰まりの原因になりますので、使用後水を流して下さい
or(水を流さないと)詰まりの原因になりますので、使用後水を流して下さい
though I can't actually remember if I've seen this usage anywhere before or not... >_>

I'm not particularly happy with the wording in either of those though... the second one is repetitive, and the first one I'm not sure the forward-referencing use of そう at the start is OK >_> So how do you say this correctly? :lol:

And are you saying the sign is actually in the right place, or...? xD
fun translation snippets | need something translated?
BTC@1KMZXgoWiDshQis5Z7feCx8jaiP4QAB2ks
User avatar
Hyperworm
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue 11.20.2007 2:26 pm
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby keatonatron » Sat 07.04.2009 12:31 pm

Hyperworm wrote:So how do you say this correctly?


詰まりやすくなってますので、使用後必ず水を流して下さい。
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 07.04.2009 1:06 pm

I don't really see anything wrong with the current reading since the meaning is obvious, but another way would be 使用後必ず水を流して下さい。そうしないと、詰まるおそれがあります or something like that.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby keatonatron » Sun 07.05.2009 9:11 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I don't really see anything wrong with the current reading since the meaning is obvious, but another way would be 使用後必ず水を流して下さい。そうしないと、詰まるおそれがあります or something like that.


Actually, using おそれがあります is a good one. You don't need そうしないと with it though.

詰まりのおそれがありますので、使用後水を流して下さい。

Anyway, I saw another sign today that I thought wouldn't be acceptable in Western culture.

And this one was actually done professionally! (not a simple computer printout)

Image
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby sei » Sun 07.05.2009 9:35 am

:o Oh wow that's.... Wow... :?
Image
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
User avatar
sei
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri 03.30.2007 3:34 pm
Location: Portugal
Native language: Portuguese
Gender: Female

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby Bengal_Tiger234 » Sun 07.05.2009 10:30 pm

^To Mike Cash

At first I couldn't really understand the sentence because I'm used to 詰まりmeaning "namely" or "in other words," but then I looked it up on Edict and it says it can also mean "blockage." So I tried translating the sentence again in my mind and the closest I could come up with is "Because (it) will cause blockage, please flush after use." Is this the correct meaning? I'm not entirely sure. It does seem like an odd sentence as you said, but I can't put my finger on it exactly. Does it have to do with the ambiguity of what they're referring to? I'm a bit at a loss.



Edit: Wow, I take 5 minutes to write a post and already like 10 extra people reply. Lol, oh well...
Bengal_Tiger234
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed 07.01.2009 8:20 pm

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.06.2009 2:14 am

Bengal_Tiger234 wrote:Does it have to do with the ambiguity of what they're referring to? I'm a bit at a loss.


Some easy-to-understand explanations have already been posted. Did you notice there is a second page?

Edit: Wow, I take 5 minutes to write a post and already like 10 extra people reply. Lol, oh well...


The last post before yours was available an hour before you replied... :roll:
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby JaySee » Mon 07.06.2009 5:52 am

keatonatron wrote:
Bengal_Tiger234 wrote:
Edit: Wow, I take 5 minutes to write a post and already like 10 extra people reply. Lol, oh well...


The last post before yours was available an hour before you replied... :roll:


Make that 13 hours :P
JaySee
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat 08.04.2007 12:04 am
Location: Tokyo
Native language: Dutch
Gender: Male

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.06.2009 6:03 am

Minus 55 minutes and 14 letters :lol:
User avatar
keatonatron
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest