Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bathroom humor

Bathroom humor

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Bathroom humor

Postby sei » Mon 07.06.2009 8:45 am

Minus 5 minutes only with my math? Or am I missing something? >.<

And I believe Bengal_Tiger only saw the first page post like Keatonatron said... :lol:
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.06.2009 11:12 am

Your post was at 3:35, his was at 4:30 (55 minutes [and a change from am to pm] later).

If you subtract 3:35 from 4:30 and get 5, you should probably just give up on math altogether :lol:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby JaySee » Mon 07.06.2009 11:50 am

This really is arguing about nothing, but I think she meant to say that he posted 13 hours minus 5 minutes after her, not 13 hours minus 55 minutes like you suggested.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.06.2009 12:52 pm

JaySee wrote:This really is arguing about nothing, but I think she meant to say that he posted 13 hours minus 5 minutes after her, not 13 hours minus 55 minutes like you suggested.

Oh, I see what you mean!

It's just a misunderstanding. I had posted right after you had said "13 hours", but my post wasn't suppose to be a continuation of your sentence. I didn't mean "13 hours minus 55 minutes and 14 letters", I meant "13 hours. In other words, minus (subtract) 55 minutes and 14 letters"

Sorry Sei :oops:
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.06.2009 1:44 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Anyway, I saw another sign today that I thought wouldn't be acceptable in Western culture.

And this one was actually done professionally! (not a simple computer printout)

Personally, I see nothing wrong with this sign.. Of course it's a bit more edgy than the typical skirt/pants types that you see here in the US..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.06.2009 2:25 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:Of course it's a bit more edgy than the typical skirt/pants types that you see here in the US..

It is a skirt/pants sign... without the skirt and pants :lol:
I too see nothing wrong with it. But I know many people who would :?
keatonatron

Postby sei » Mon 07.06.2009 2:28 pm

keatonatron wrote:
JaySee wrote:This really is arguing about nothing, but I think she meant to say that he posted 13 hours minus 5 minutes after her, not 13 hours minus 55 minutes like you suggested.

Oh, I see what you mean!

It's just a misunderstanding. I had posted right after you had said "13 hours", but my post wasn't suppose to be a continuation of your sentence. I didn't mean "13 hours minus 55 minutes and 14 letters", I meant "13 hours. In other words, minus (subtract) 55 minutes and 14 letters"

Sorry Sei :oops:

Hehe, I did interpret it like JaySee said. ^^ My fault as well. :wink:

I do understand what you meant now. I just almost never see time as am or pm... I do the 24 hour time thing. So it was weird by my logic. :lol:

Edit: (So I don't double post...^^)
keatonatron wrote:It is a skirt/pants sign... without the skirt and pants :lol:

I don't think this sort of sign would be very well accepted in Portugal... If at all. :?
People aren't very open to that kind of.... openness... :roll: :P
Last edited by sei on Mon 07.06.2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.06.2009 2:58 pm

keatonatron wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:Of course it's a bit more edgy than the typical skirt/pants types that you see here in the US..

It is a skirt/pants sign... without the skirt and pants :lol:

I think those people would be offended by the description my dad used when he explained the difference of boys and girls when I was about 5 or 6..

He said there are two types of dogs, pointers and setters.. And son, you are a pointer... lol
two_heads_talking

Postby Sairana » Mon 07.06.2009 4:14 pm

two_heads_talking wrote: I think those people would be offended by the description my dad used when he explained the difference of boys and girls when I was about 5 or 6..

He said there are two types of dogs, pointers and setters.. And son, you are a pointer... lol

Going even further off topic: That story reminds me of that fateful day when my 5 year old son and 4 year old daughter came running to me in a panic, howling all the way down the hallway to inform me that "Her penis fell off and we can't find it!"

And back on topic: I shall agree, that sign would not fly in the US. There's too much stigma attached to private body parts because they're related to sex, and sexuality is evil. :P
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby spin13 » Tue 07.07.2009 2:31 am

Sairana wrote:Going even further off topic: That story reminds me of that fateful day when my 5 year old son and 4 year old daughter came running to me in a panic, howling all the way down the hallway to inform me that "Her penis fell off and we can't find it!"

What, you're going to leave us hanging like that? C'mon, tell us how it ends. Did you ever find it?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 07.07.2009 9:53 am

I just happened on a funny bathroom sign today so I'll share it with you guys:

I don't know about any other dialects, but in my dialect of English, an infant is less than a year old and not likely to be using "an" urinal.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby astaroth » Tue 07.07.2009 10:03 am

Is 小児 used for children older than infants? I looked it up on my dictionary and it gives me infant too.

By the way infant derives from the Latin 'infant', unable to speak, so an infant is technically any kid younger than 1~2 years old.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 07.07.2009 10:09 am

astaroth wrote:Is 小児 used for children older than infants? I looked it up on my dictionary and it gives me infant too.

By the way infant derives from the Latin 'infant', unable to speak, so an infant is technically any kid younger than 1~2 years old.

I asked my husband and he says 小児 is anything from birth to about 10 or 12 years old.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.07.2009 1:03 pm

Infant is commonly used up to about 2 or 3 then they become toddler, but I wonder if the Japanese make such a distinction.
two_heads_talking

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.07.2009 1:04 pm

Sairana wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote: I think those people would be offended by the description my dad used when he explained the difference of boys and girls when I was about 5 or 6..

Going even further off topic: That story reminds me of that fateful day when my 5 year old son and 4 year old daughter came running to me in a panic, howling all the way down the hallway to inform me that "Her penis fell off and we can't find it!"

And back on topic: I shall agree, that sign would not fly in the US. There's too much stigma attached to private body parts because they're related to sex, and sexuality is evil. :P

how are either of these off topic? they are barthroom humor no?
two_heads_talking

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan