Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Geek Section

Geek Section

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Re: Geek Section

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.09.2009 5:33 am

Although I think there would be less confusion if you titled it "Technology Section" or "Computers and Electronics Section".

Main Category: Off Topic
Title: Computers & Technology
Subtitle: AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

I think the new section should just be titled Technology in order to make it simple and to the point. X:-{P)

Study Groups, and Newbies (Beginners). Perhaps we could/should add all 3?

New posts have been dwindling as of late; increase the number of forums and you'll further spread out what little conversations we have!

I don't think it's necessary for these three sections since there's already an Introduction section. Usually, new users will almost immediately begin in all sections of the Forums without even introducing themselves. Introduction threads are usually dead and are hardly responded to. I'm 95% certain that it's not going to be much different for these proposed sections either. Concluding, adding these sections is pretty much pointless.

Could there be a forum for the Wagawiki?

I feel it is a bit forgotten and could use a bit of attention. This could help involve others in it and be an area to check potential article submissions. There is a discussion option in the Wagawiki, but the forum could allow more exposure for that discussion.
Good idea.

One of the goals with the site upgrade is to make Wagawiki a part of the site (auto login and similar theme if possible). Once that is done, I think Wagawiki will take off.
If you’re adding forums, care to check my request?

I’m yet to add something to the Wagawiki, but I have started to work on something.

There's absolutely no practical reason to add this proposed section since Wagawiki's already apart of the TJP website. There're allot of sections that I personally think should be merged, changed, and etc... (referring to the whole website [etc...]) However, this proposed section would be dead and therefore it'll make the website much more unattractive. Unfortunately, people do indeed judge with their eyes. Guests will begin to go elsewhere if the website starts adding too much unnecessary stuff/sections. There should on the other hand be discussions on how to improve what's already here. Study your website traffic and take notice to what's working and what's not. If you can improve something for the better, then do it. One thing that I've noticed from the start's that everything is too scattered and needs to be desperately brought together/organized. Plus, there're too many branched off [linked] websites to TJP. Either merge these externally linked websites with TJP or consider chopping them off. MySpace's traffic and actual users have dwindled. Facebook and Twitter are doing tremendously better than MySpace. "Why?" One obvious reason's (<--figure of speech) because of their simplicity. "Why reinvent the wheel? When the wheel's already here." Model yourself after what's already in motion. Innovation's great, but don't overdue it. Etc... ... Really, I'm not putting you down, but you've got much more potential than what I've seen.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Postby clay » Thu 07.09.2009 6:53 am

Thanks Stone_Cold--good advice.

Phreadom actually proposed a simplification of the main site's categories last week. I am not sure how much work he has put into it, but it is something we are definitely working on. I would love to hear any specific advice as it comes to your mind. If you think of something shoot me an email or post it in the forums.

What if we changed the subtitle of "Suggestions" to something like "Improve TJP! Discuss the content, Wagawiki, chat, forums, etc"

Perhaps mentioning Wagawiki directly would increase exposure.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Valatunda » Thu 07.09.2009 7:03 am

There's absolutely no practical reason to add this proposed section since Wagawiki's already apart of the TJP website. There're allot of sections that I personally think should be merged, changed, and etc... (referring to the whole website [etc...]) However, this proposed section would be dead and therefore it'll make the website much more unattractive.

Allow me to explain better. I see potential in the Wagawiki offering information which is specific or perhaps more advanced. This forum would allow help to be obtained concerning issues with and collecting information for articles.

There might be ones who don’t go to the Wagawiki, but do come to the forums and could offer assistance. I also feel there is good information potentially buried in these forums, which could be made into articles.

For example there is a thread called Expressions using もの, which could be placed into the Wagawiki, therefore making such information more accessible. Ones could assist in finding such threads.

The forum could also help advertise the Wagawiki and might encourage more involvement.
Valatunda

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.09.2009 9:50 am

There's absolutely no practical reason to add this proposed section since Wagawiki's already apart of the TJP website. There're allot of sections that I personally think should be merged, changed, and etc... (referring to the whole website [etc...]) However, this proposed section would be dead and therefore it'll make the website much more unattractive.

Allow me to explain better. I see potential in the Wagawiki offering information which is specific or perhaps more advanced. This forum would allow help to be obtained concerning issues with and collecting information for articles.

There might be ones who don’t go to the Wagawiki, but do come to the forums and could offer assistance. I also feel there is good information potentially buried in these forums, which could be made into articles.

For example there is a thread called Expressions using もの, which could be placed into the Wagawiki, therefore making such information more accessible. Ones could assist in finding such threads.

The forum could also help advertise the Wagawiki and might encourage more involvement.

Clay/Phreadom can advertise Wagawiki on the The Japanese Page without creating a section in the Forums.
vThis is only an example and isn't intended for actual use.v
^This is only an example and isn't intended for actual use.^
Simple advertising with banners [etc...] around the website can achieve this. It'll be much more effective than a simple thread. Also, (Clay/Phreadom) you can send new users a banner when they first join to show them around. Clay could permanently place a banner inside everyone's profile as a reminder. There's all kinds of neat ways you can advertise this website. Though, with the merging idea in motion... that section may become obsolete with a better alternative.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby Valatunda » Thu 07.09.2009 11:22 am

Well, I don’t mind that. I suppose any help needed for articles could have threads created in other forums.

Anyway, I have some feelings concerning the site, but maybe those can be expressed somewhere else.
Valatunda

Postby phreadom » Thu 07.09.2009 11:57 am

Valatunda wrote:Well, I don’t mind that. I suppose any help needed for articles could have threads created in other forums.

Anyway, I have some feelings concerning the site, but maybe those can be expressed somewhere else.

You can PM to me or Clay. :) As I'm working on that right now it would help me. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby keatonatron » Thu 07.09.2009 4:20 pm

Stone_Cold wrote:Image

How did your "a" get smudged?? Did you drip water on your monitor?? :lol:
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby sei » Thu 07.09.2009 7:19 pm

Since we go into that note... I would think this Technology section would take the same route as many others... go dead. There are posts on it, but to be honest, not that much that would justify a section in itself. There are also many posters who ask help with certain grammar points or just general questions regarding Genki, and they don't place it in the Genki section (in fact, the Genki section isn't very active either, and I would suggest that it could be removed). And that is the route I think the Technology section would take.

On the other hand, I do think a Wagawiki section would be helpful. As far as I have noted, Wagawiki has been somewhat dead for awhile, and having a section about it with some people giving suggestion's on articles, and creating them as well, with others correcting it or giving suggestions to it, in my opinion, would increase the interest in the Wagawiki. Also, like mentioned by Valatunda, there are some threads which could easily be made into an article, and that would also be discussed in this section. I believe this sort of thread would become more active after awhile than, for example, the Technology section. But I do agree on your suggestion on placing adds on TJP in order to remind people Wagawiki is there (and that there's a thread in the forum if they want to add an article!).
Last edited by sei on Thu 07.09.2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby keatonatron » Thu 07.09.2009 7:32 pm

Waka-waka (wiki)!
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby sei » Thu 07.09.2009 10:57 pm

keatonatron wrote:Waka-waka (wiki)!

Ups. :oops: I just corrected it. :oops: :P
sei

Postby Stone_Cold » Fri 07.10.2009 5:35 am

How did your "a" get smudged?? Did you drip water on your monitor??

vThis is only an example and isn't intended for actual use.v

I threw that image together in a few seconds for an example. Again, it's not intended for actual use. :roll:

Since we go into that note... I would think this Technology section would take the same route as many others... go dead. There are posts on it, but to be honest, not that much that would justify a section in itself. There are also many posters who ask help with certain grammar points or just general questions regarding Genki, and they don't place it in the Genki section (in fact, the Genki section isn't very active either, and I would suggest that it could be removed). And that is the route I think the Technology section would take.

I'm not really sure why you're talking about Genki. Besides, Japan is a technological leader and many questions arise about Japanese technology. We're referring to remodeling to the whole website and not just the TJP Forums. :mrgreen:
Stone_Cold

Postby clay » Fri 07.10.2009 7:02 am

On the other hand, I do think a Wagawiki section would be helpful. As far as I have noted, Wagawiki has been somewhat dead for awhile, and having a section about it with some people giving suggestion's on articles, and creating them as well, with others correcting it or giving suggestions to it, in my opinion, would increase the interest in the Wagawiki. Also, like mentioned by Valatunda, there are some threads which could easily be made into an article, and that would also be discussed in this section.

It really would be nice to get Wagawiki back into action and archiving forum threads into Wagawiki would be a great way to do that. It makes sense to have an area to discuss potential threads & edits.

My feeling right now is to add both a Techonology AND Wagawiki section in the forums. Then after a month or two we can come back to this thread and review. If either (or other sections) are overly quiet, we can remove them or combine one with another section.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby sei » Fri 07.10.2009 8:43 am

Stone_Cold wrote:I'm not really sure why you're talking about Genki. Besides, Japan is a technological leader and many questions arise about Japanese technology. We're referring to remodeling to the whole website and not just the TJP Forums. :mrgreen:

For an example? :roll:

And I am still to see these "many questions" you talk about...

And I understood that we're talking about remodeling the whole website, but we are also talking about (and as a main topic I believe) of rearranging the forums.

clay wrote:My feeling right now is to add both a Techonology AND Wagawiki section in the forums. Then after a month or two we can come back to this thread and review. If either (or other sections) are overly quiet, we can remove them or combine one with another section.

I think that is a good idea Clay. :)
sei

Postby Stone_Cold » Fri 07.10.2009 12:46 pm

And I am still to see these "many questions" you talk about...

I meant there's news about Japanese technology on a regular basis heavily throughout the internet. Not just in TJP. :mrgreen: I've been around... I'm not trying to argue/correct [with] you sei; just clarifying. :D

My feeling right now is to add both a Techonology AND Wagawiki section in the forums. Then after a month or two we can come back to this thread and review. If either (or other sections) are overly quiet, we can remove them or combine one with another section.

Yea, that would be a good idea. Who knows? Wagawiki could be successful and the technology section could fail. After all, I can’t see the future; or can I. lol :shock:
Stone_Cold

Postby sei » Fri 07.10.2009 6:29 pm

Stone_Cold wrote:I meant there's news about Japanese technology on a regular basis heavily throughout the internet. Not just in TJP. :mrgreen: I've been around... I'm not trying to argue/correct [with] you sei; just clarifying. :D

Oh ok. I assumed you were speaking of TJP only, which is what I understood as your reason for the creation of that section. :)

Stone_Cold wrote: Yea, that would be a good idea. Who knows? Wagawiki could be successful and the technology section could fail. After all, I can’t see the future; or can I. lol :shock:

Maybe you can! We'll have to see in a couple of months! :lol:
sei

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions