Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why do japanese movies suck?

Why do japanese movies suck?

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby nukemarine » Thu 02.05.2009 7:03 pm

outlaws0025 wrote:Japanese movies rock! After i started getting interested in japan and watching japanese movies and doramas, i've pretty much totally stopped watching all that american stuff!
I really do feel that Japan are 100 times at everything they do... like being funny, making good tv-shows, movies and doramas


The latest 20世紀少年2番 movie definitely did not rock. I like the manga but that movie adaption is almost as bad as Death Note. Still, there are some great Japanese movies and TV shows out there.

Also Outlaw, you can try American movies in Japanese. Adds a whole other flavor. I've enjoyed a few movies that way, except Shrek which for some reason sucks in Japanese.

PS: Are you watching these dramas and movies with English subtitles? If you are then ignore the above suggestion.
nukemarine
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed 10.10.2007 5:33 am

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby AfterDark » Fri 07.03.2009 2:22 am

I disagree. I have seen three very good movies that are japanese.
10 Promises to My Dog was very good the acting was not bad.
and the first two Death Note live action movies were awesome, I considdered them as good as the anime.(The Shinigami were amazingly done, and L was great) havent seen the third movie.
AfterDark
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri 07.03.2009 2:07 am

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby RN2K » Sat 07.11.2009 10:05 pm

debu wrote:I realize this is overgeneralizing, and I'm no expert on japanese films, but everytime I see a japanese movie it seems like a poorly done after school special or something.


Since you're no expert....maybe is it because that most of the Japanese films you were exposed to are either the:

1.crappy "horror" films they make in abundance
2.Robot/Godzilla/Ultraman mesh fighting each other
3.Live action low-budget anime/ something similar with the same amount of stupidity

In fact, I'm sure it falls in these 3 categories....because I think that most Westerner's perception of Japanese films doesn't branch out as wide as it should. Just like how most foreigners would think that American films are nothing but big-budget, brainless films, which all know that it isn't quite true.

Because in my opinion, Japan makes the best films in the World. If not the best, then the most consistent. You just have to know to look beyond the horror, live-action nonsense they breed. Because 80% of most Japanese films are in fact quite "normal", interesting, and unique. Actually, I have RARELY seen a bad Japanese movie that is NOT horror, anime, or Godzilla.

Just look at these:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Now I can tell you that none of them have "crappy" lighting, or cinematography, or editing, or bad acting. They're all unique, fantastic films.....although a lot of them are very Japanese and other people might not enjoy them right off the bat.
RN2K
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat 07.11.2009 8:58 pm
Native language: Chinese

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby AJBryant » Sun 07.12.2009 11:38 pm

For the record, I can point to a hell of a lot of craptastic movies that had really good posters. ;)
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby RN2K » Mon 07.13.2009 8:45 pm

Just harmlessly making a point, that's all :wink:
RN2K
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat 07.11.2009 8:58 pm
Native language: Chinese

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby Sairana » Mon 07.13.2009 9:33 pm

RN2K wrote:Image


人のセックスを笑うな == porn you can laugh at? :lol:
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby AJBryant » Tue 07.14.2009 12:39 am

Sairana wrote:人のセックスを笑うな == porn you can laugh at? :lol:


Well, when you think about it, porn is kinda laughable.
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby astaroth » Tue 07.14.2009 12:10 pm

Sairana wrote:人のセックスを笑うな == porn you can laugh at? :lol:

I watched the trailer and it looks nice though. It seems it is about a triangle and a romance with an older woman (man? is ユリ used for boys or for girls?). There is Yu Aoi by the way.
I wonder why they translated 人のセックスを笑うな as 'Don't laugh at my romance', I mean I don't understand where the negation is coming from.
ー 流光 ー

   花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
User avatar
astaroth
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon 12.22.2008 5:08 am
Location: Amherst, MA
Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby Sairana » Tue 07.14.2009 12:23 pm

astaroth wrote:
Sairana wrote:人のセックスを笑うな == porn you can laugh at? :lol:

I watched the trailer and it looks nice though. It seems it is about a triangle and a romance with an older woman (man? is ユリ used for boys or for girls?). There is Yu Aoi by the way.
I wonder why they translated 人のセックスを笑うな as 'Don't laugh at my romance', I mean I don't understand where the negation is coming from.


な gives it the negative command form, but I was just being funny about the translation and using な as the emphatic gobi. :twisted:
Sairana
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed 02.27.2008 11:54 pm
Native language: (US) English
Gender: Female

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby astaroth » Tue 07.14.2009 1:31 pm

Sairana wrote:な gives it the negative command form, but I was just being funny about the translation and using な as the emphatic gobi. :twisted:

I didn't know that, I thought it was just like ね.
Though I'm wondering does 笑うな both mean 'don't laugh!' and 'he laughs, doesn't he?' ?
ー 流光 ー

   花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
User avatar
astaroth
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon 12.22.2008 5:08 am
Location: Amherst, MA
Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 07.14.2009 7:49 pm

astaroth wrote:Though I'm wondering does 笑うな both mean 'don't laugh!' and 'he laughs, doesn't he?' ?


Nope. 笑うな means "don't laugh" in all standard Japanese that I know of.
There is probably a dialect SOMEWHERE where that isn't true, but I don't know of it.

食べるな、言うな、笑うな are all rude/more commanding forms of the ~ないで ending

EDIT: I'm going to come back to that a little, and say that there IS a な ending that means よ or ね, like you are thinking of (and it is common in my dialect) but I don't think i've ever heard it attached the the plain form of a verb..

わらってるな -- OMG, he's laughing!
わらうな -- Don't Laugh.
Last edited by Harisenbon on Wed 07.15.2009 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby RN2K » Tue 07.14.2009 8:02 pm

笑うな = 笑わない

触るな = 触らない


I use it all the time.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117936 ... id=31&cs=1

Here is a pretty good review of the film
RN2K
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat 07.11.2009 8:58 pm
Native language: Chinese

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby NocturnalOcean » Wed 07.15.2009 4:48 am

RN2K wrote:笑うな = 笑わない

触るな = 触らない


I use it all the time.



As noted in the post above you. This is an imperative na.
Which makes your translations wrong.
It is more like.

笑うな = 笑わないで

触るな = 触らないで
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon 03.12.2007 12:43 pm
Native language: Norwegian

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby RayMasaki » Thu 07.16.2009 12:04 am

well i give you credit for at least admitting Not everything Jp is great
I myself have seen some boring movies its a combination of money /production.
I Love J-dramas and most ive seen i liked but there have been someBoring ones
alot of Japanese told me they dont like j movies either
to many DumbGaijin on you tube talk about Jtv being better than US TV
when in fact their just excited by the colorfullness kanji Hiragana on the screen
Believe me i know & like JPTV I have about 30 VHS tapes of it
but not everything is Great
User avatar
RayMasaki
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed 07.15.2009 6:39 pm
Location: USA
Native language: English

Re: Why do japanese movies suck?

Postby FrozenFlame » Wed 11.25.2009 8:00 am

@TS

Which Japanese Movies ?

I watched the latest Japanese movies available, and those are all great.
I wonder why you think of Japanese movies suck

Perhaps the old fashioned-movies ?
Well, the certain thing is that Japanese Movies IS NOT western movies 8) ,it has its distinctive and great replay watch too :D
Just like Chinese Movies :)
~Learning and Intensifying Japanese~
User avatar
FrozenFlame
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue 11.24.2009 5:45 am
Location: Jakarta
Native language: Bahasa Indonesia

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Movies and Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests