Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Creating Wagawiki Account

Creating Wagawiki Account

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Creating Wagawiki Account

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.16.2009 5:52 am

Click here to create an account.

Page not found
The requested page could not be found.

It won't allow users to create an account since there's something going on with this link.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Native language: 英語

Re: Creating Wagawiki Account

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.16.2009 5:55 am

You must have cookies enabled to log in to WagaWiki.

My browser's set correctly and this isn't the problem.
<-.-> The past is like a ghost’s voice, quite and withered away, unknown and unheard, loneliness like pale streams. <-.->
Stone_Cold

Postby Sairana » Thu 07.16.2009 5:59 am

Re: cookies

Well, it worked fine for me. Are you sure you didn't deny cookies permanently for this site, or have too high of a security level? The trouble doesn't seem to be server-side in any case.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.16.2009 6:02 am

Login error
You have not specified a valid user name.

Last edited by Stone_Cold on Thu 07.16.2009 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stone_Cold

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.16.2009 6:10 am

I'm using Firefox version 3.5. I've known new browsers not to function correctly with servers. Anyone else having this problem with Firefox version 3.5.
Stone_Cold

Postby phreadom » Thu 07.16.2009 6:44 am

No. I'm doing fine on Firefox 3.5.

You login with your normal account login and password, just like on the main part of the site or the forum.

I do see an error in the "create an account" link that I've now fixed, but that's not the issue. It just takes you to the forum account registration page, as that is the login/password you use for the wiki.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.16.2009 7:02 am

That's really odd because I've attempted several times to login with my normal account information. I'll try it again.
Stone_Cold

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.16.2009 7:05 am

Login error
You have not specified a valid user name.

Again, I tried using my normal information and it won't allow it. I wonder why? :| :cry:
Stone_Cold

Postby Stone_Cold » Thu 07.16.2009 7:17 am

If you appear to be able to log in, but as soon as you try to look at a page after the 'Log in successful' page you appear logged out again, it is very likely to be a cookie problem. If you are certain that cookies are enabled, make sure that you haven't inadvertently listed http://meta.wikimedia.org on a list of sites to never allow cookies for (This feature is available in (at least) Mozilla Firebird (Firefox) 0.6 and above and Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 and above). Also make sure your computer's date and time are set correctly; if they are not, cookies may expire before they are supposed to. Note that some firewall and ad-blocking software may interfere with the cookie that Meta uses to keep a person logged in.

In addition to these steps, check to make sure PHP's directory for storing session data is writable. This directory can be found in the php.ini file under the session.save_path setting. Errors in this php.ini setting can also cause other problems. Examples of these errors are referencing a non-existent directory or leaving out " marks around the directory name. Random Wiki pages or edit previews might appear blank in Internet Explorer, but not with other browsers. Also, the Save Page button might act as if one had pressed the Show Preview button when a user is logged in, but work correctly when one is not logged in.

A user may occasionally find him/herself "automatically " logged out in between beginning an edit and saving it, or when switching between multiple Meta pages open in multiple windows. This can be a result of your browser's cookie, cache, or firewall settings, but due to the nature of the MediaWiki software; some user ID information is stored in the servers and sometimes, especially during heavy server load, the system can "glitch" and your ID information will be misplaced, resulting in a logout. Regardless of the reason for the logout, the simplest solution to the problem is to check the Remember me box. If you do this on a computer that can be accessed by more than one person (i.e. at the library, at work, at school), please find and erase your user ID cookies after your editing session.

If you log in and enabled the cookie feature, a subsequent log in as a different user without the cookie feature enabled will appear as logged out.

Make sure the Internet Guest Account (eg. IUSR_FOOBAR, nobody, or apache) has write permissions to the folder listed in the "session.save_path" variable of the php.ini file.

I'm not sure what's causing it.
Stone_Cold

Postby phreadom » Thu 07.16.2009 7:33 am

I'll look into it again after I've gotten some sleep. It's working fine for the rest of us, logging in, logging out, logging back in etc.

I'll have a look at the guts "in the morning" (ie; when I wake up). ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Stone_Cold » Fri 07.17.2009 5:41 am

At least you'll know what to look for when someone else has this problem. :oops: Thank you Phreadom. :mrgreen:
Stone_Cold

Postby Stone_Cold » Sat 07.18.2009 12:32 pm

:o :shock: :x :evil: :twisted: Still not working. :twisted: ####... :twisted:
Stone_Cold

Return to Problems