Postby arvivlx » Fri 07.17.2009 4:13 am

私は彼氏に好かれてない

もーお前何かに好かれたくない、くそガキ
arvivlx

Re: what is the meaning ?

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 07.17.2009 6:56 am

arvivlx wrote:私は彼氏に好かれてない

もーお前何かに好かれたくない、くそガキ

What part of this do you need help with? If you showed us your own best effort at grokking this it would both help us be more helpful to you and make us feel more inclined to be helpful.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby arvivlx » Sat 07.18.2009 11:23 am

well, it's something about "i like my boy friend..." but i cant figure out the rest.. and i dont understand the second sentence at all..
arvivlx

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 07.18.2009 11:43 am

arvivlx wrote:well, it's something about "i like my boy friend..." but i cant figure out the rest.. and i dont understand the second sentence at all..

Can you give us an idea of how much Japanese you've studied so far? Have you learned how a verb conjugates into the negative for example?
Gundaetiapo

Postby arvivlx » Sat 07.18.2009 12:03 pm

no, not yet.. but i do know that nai means negetive, i just dont know what the hell is karetenai, ok? and i think the second means something like "why i dont like u? damn" or somethink, am i right?
arvivlx

Postby keatonatron » Sat 07.18.2009 12:07 pm

You are so wrong that I don't think any amount of prodding from us will get you to understand it on your own. :oops:

That, plus the nature of the sentence you want translated kind of makes me think you weren't meant to understand it in the first place :?
keatonatron

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 07.18.2009 12:10 pm

もーお前何かに好かれたくない、くそガキ

Is this from a manga or something? Usually we want context. If this was directed to you, that's not good.

好かれていない means "not liked by X".
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby arvivlx » Sat 07.18.2009 12:19 pm

ohh now i get it.. it wasnt meant to me, thank goddness, the meaning is that her boyfreind dont like her? and in the second sentence she ask why he dont like her? thanks guys
arvivlx

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 07.18.2009 12:27 pm

もーお前何かに好かれたくない、くそガキ

I was a little concerned that the negative didn't appear in your first attempt. The second sentence is a vulgar insult to the speaker of the first sentence.
Gundaetiapo

Postby keatonatron » Sat 07.18.2009 1:08 pm

arvivlx wrote:ohh now i get it.. it wasnt meant to me, thank goddness, the meaning is that her boyfreind dont like her? and in the second sentence she ask why he dont like her? thanks guys

It's the other way around. The first sentence says "she doesn't like me," and the second sentence is something like "I don't want a loser like you to have a crush on me, you immature prick."
keatonatron

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 07.18.2009 1:15 pm

keatonatron wrote:
arvivlx wrote:ohh now i get it.. it wasnt meant to me, thank goddness, the meaning is that her boyfreind dont like her? and in the second sentence she ask why he dont like her? thanks guys

It's the other way around. The first sentence says "she doesn't like me," and the second sentence is something like "I don't want a loser like you to have a crush on me, you immature prick."

彼氏 is "she"?

"My boyfriend doesn't like me."
"Like anyone would like you, lousy kid."

The use of おまえ suggests speaker 2 is male, but there are female manga characters who us it, so it's not conclusive.

何か usually means "something", but it translates as "someone" anyway (lest it be 直訳). The choice of 何か over 誰か makes it more insulting, as I understand it.

Do you know the ~たくない grammar, arvivlx? (Unconjugate the ない and see if what you get looks familiar.)
Last edited by Gundaetiapo on Sat 07.18.2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gundaetiapo

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 07.18.2009 1:17 pm

I think that 何か is supposed to be なんか -- i.e. お前なんか (someone like you). 誰か does not work there.

Also I don't think the passive+たくない structure is represented in your translation.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 07.18.2009 1:25 pm

You're right, I was thinking along the lines of おまえが誰にも好かれたくない.

Originally I was thinking the second speaker wasn't necessarily the 彼氏. Now that I remember that ~たい is only used to describe one's own wants, I'm second guessing that supposition.
Last edited by Gundaetiapo on Sat 07.18.2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gundaetiapo

Postby keatonatron » Sat 07.18.2009 1:29 pm

Gundaetiapo wrote:彼氏 is "she"?

Ooops :oops: I often make mistakes like that :? Kanji combinations with similar outlines and whatnot.

This なんか is the same as なんて, which gives the "a loser like you" in my (loose) translation. A more accurate translation would probably be "the likes of you", but that seemed too old fashioned for this sentence :wink:

You can basically think of it as お前に好かれたくない with a なんか/なんて added in.

Now I'm not sure who the subject of that sentence is supposed to be. Maybe if we had more context....

This seemingly asinine thread has turned out to be good practice for us all. If only we had just got to translating and compared notes right off instead of trying to make the OP learn something :lol:
keatonatron

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 07.18.2009 1:42 pm

arvivlx wrote:もーお前何かに好かれたくない、くそガキ

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Also I don't think the passive+たくない structure is represented in your translation.

Is it: "Like I would want to be loved by you, lousy kid." I'd like to hear more about the context surrounding this passage.
Gundaetiapo

Next

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion