Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Buying an electronic dictionary in Japan

Buying an electronic dictionary in Japan

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Buying an electronic dictionary in Japan

Postby TwoOranges » Sun 07.19.2009 8:03 am

I'm going to Japan next month and I'm planning on buying a new electronic dictionary (probably the Casio XD-GF9800) to replace my current one (the Canon Wordtank G70) because the latter one misses stylus input of Kanji. But what is the best place to buy such an electronic dictionary? I suppose that, just like here in Europe, prices can vary greatly from shop to shop so can any tell me which shops I should have a look at or which shops I should better ignore? Thanks in advance ;)
TwoOranges

Re: Buying an electronic dictionary in Japan

Postby keatonatron » Sun 07.19.2009 11:02 am

Surprisingly, prices don't vary that much :?

Sometimes there are sales that affect the total price, but if you're looking for a single store that is always cheaper than all the rest, I don't think there is such a thing.

Searching on the internet usually produces the best results (because it's easy to find that one shop that can't move their merchandise and is selling it at a discount just to get rid of it).
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby clay » Mon 07.20.2009 1:30 pm

I haven't been to Akihabara in years to check, but in the past, stores in that area tended to be cheaper than stores in other areas of Japan. But to get the cheapest, order online with a Japanese electronic store (I'm so out of loop, I don't know of any webstore to recommend, but Rakuten http://www.rakuten.co.jp/ may be a good place to start). They will most likely only ship within Japan so you would need a Japanese address but most stores will take an overseas credit card.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 07.20.2009 1:51 pm

kakaku.com is a really good site for buying electronics in Japan, if you already know what you want (and can read japanese). I browsed at a local electronics store, found what I wanted, and then ordered it through kakaku for 1/3 of the price, with free next-day shipping.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Japanese General Discussion