Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - アタシんちの男子

アタシんちの男子

Do you have a translation question?

アタシんちの男子

Postby phreadom » Thu 07.16.2009 3:40 am

Some people (shock_x and somiac) were talking about the drama アタシんちの男子 in the chat and somiac asked why the アタシ part was written in katakana which got me to thinking about a possible play on words.

So I decided to try to figure out why it was written that way which lead me to trying to guess at the translation.

アタシんちの男子

I roughly translated it as something like "the boys of my house" (said by a girl).

My thinking was that アタシ may just be a fancy way of writing あたし, which is the feminine "I" form of わたし as I understand it. んち appears to be a contraction/abbreviation of の家 (のうち), basically meaning " ~'s house", and the rest being pretty straightforward I think.

Am I in the right ballpark here?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: アタシんちの男子

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 07.16.2009 5:27 am

I reckon you're spot on there, phreadom-san.
It sounds like an interesting drama. I'll have to check it out!!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 07.16.2009 6:07 am

"of my family" is probably a better rendition of んち than "of my house".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Thu 07.16.2009 6:24 am

phreadom wrote:My thinking was that アタシ may just be a fancy way of writing あたし, which is the feminine "I" form of わたし as I understand it. んち appears to be a contraction/abbreviation of の家 (のうち), basically meaning " ~'s house", and the rest being pretty straightforward I think.

Am I in the right ballpark here?

Spot on, except you didn't actually address why アタシ is written in katakana.

If it were in kanji (私) it would be indiscernible from わたし (or even わし) and you wouldn't get the feeling that it was being said by a female speaker.

That leaves us with hiragana or katakana; it's my guess that writing it in hiragana would make it blend into んち, and since kanji is no good they used katakana to seperate the word.

Also it's quite balanced having katakana, hiragana, and kanji all in a short title.
keatonatron

Postby phreadom » Thu 07.16.2009 6:40 am

Mike Cash: so used in that sense it could be a bit like "my household"?

keatonatron: Ah, good point... I suppose I failed in my original mission to figure out why they wrote it in katakana... your explanation seems to make perfect sense as to why it was a bit more necessary and not a purely superfluous stylistic choice.

なるほど~ みんあ、ありがとうございます。 :D This was my first attempt at "translating" and posting in here. :)

I feel like I'm making some progress in my studies! At least compared to where I was 2 years ago. ;)

I was watching the NHK Learning Japanese series with David Roberts as the main character and I'm now actually able to follow most of the basics of what they're saying... I'm still missing a lot of vocabulary, but it's encouraging to be able to catch so much more of the conversations than I could when I first watched this series.

(I tried reading over "The girl who leapt through time" with RichV several months ago and was just in over my head. But I feel like I might be getting closer to being able to tackle that again.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 07.16.2009 8:01 am

phreadom wrote:Mike Cash: so used in that sense it could be a bit like "my household"?

That is correct.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.16.2009 10:58 am

phreadom wrote:Mike Cash: so used in that sense it could be a bit like "my household"?

Mike answered that question but to add further to it, uchi is used quite alot to refer to family. Uchi no yatsu is sometimes used to refer to the "mom" of the house. (at least it was in Tohoku, if that's a localized usage, then I apologise for thinking it was a generally accepted term)
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 07.16.2009 2:22 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

Mike answered that question but to add further to it, uchi is used quite alot to refer to family. Uchi no yatsu is sometimes used to refer to the "mom" of the house. (at least it was in Tohoku, if that's a localized usage, then I apologise for thinking it was a generally accepted term)

My jaw came close to sustaining a fracture when it power-slammed into the floor.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.16.2009 2:56 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:

My jaw came close to sustaining a fracture when it power-slammed into the floor.

LOL.. I'll take it that it's a localized thing then..

There are a few dozen Japanese that have some explaining to do then.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 07.17.2009 6:59 am

I'm sure I don't have to point out the baggage associated with a term like 奴 to you. There is nothing I can think of about it which would cause it to be associated with or limited to just mothers. And I would be willing to bet that very few of the folks you heard use it that way did so in front of their mothers.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 07.17.2009 10:37 am

Mike Cash wrote:I'm sure I don't have to point out the baggage associated with a term like 奴 to you. There is nothing I can think of about it which would cause it to be associated with or limited to just mothers. And I would be willing to bet that very few of the folks you heard use it that way did so in front of their mothers.

Honestly Mike, One or two old men did.. (I think they were referring to their wives though, not that it makes it any better.) I seem to remember a few old ladies using it too, but I have a feeling they might have been referring to themselves.
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Fri 07.17.2009 2:04 pm

Maybe whenever they would see their mother's or wives they would hold their hands out and squeal "うちんお八つ!”
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Sat 07.18.2009 8:09 am

Mike Cash wrote:I'm sure I don't have to point out the baggage associated with a term like 奴 to you. There is nothing I can think of about it which would cause it to be associated with or limited to just mothers. And I would be willing to bet that very few of the folks you heard use it that way did so in front of their mothers.

I can't help but compare "My old woman" or "my old lady" -- we're used to those, but if we weren't, we'd be wondering about the baggage with calling one's wife "an old woman."

keatonatron wrote:Maybe whenever they would see their mother's or wives they would hold their hands out and squeal "うちんお八つ!”

LOL!

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.20.2009 9:13 am

AJBryant wrote:

I can't help but compare "My old woman" or "my old lady" -- we're used to those, but if we weren't, we'd be wondering about the baggage with calling one's wife "an old woman."
Tony

Don't forget the regrettable 'old bag' when referring to people.. similar to お嚢..
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Mon 07.20.2009 7:02 pm

Hey, I forgot about ofukuro. :)
AJBryant
Site Admin

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion