Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Sentences Which Make No Sense

Sentences Which Make No Sense

Do you have a translation question?

Sentences Which Make No Sense

Postby acval » Wed 07.22.2009 1:23 am

Hello!
I am currently attempting to read through a (children's?) novel and am having difficulty with a couple of sentences. It's a novelization of a video game, if the names look familiar, but please don't punch me. I'm actually attempting to read it. :]

Here's a prior sentence for context only:
kubi wo kashigeru sora ni kairi ha akireta you na kao wo shite, namiuchigiwa he to aruite itte shimau.

I've already got a pretty good idea of what it says.

I mention it because I'm sure that it has to do with the next sentence, which is where my problems begin.
sono senaka wo sora ha naze ka honno sukoshi dake tooku kanjiru.

Going through it literally, I get something like, "Sora had a distant feeling of her back just a little somehow," which of course makes no sense. The wo is throwing me off. If senaka is the direct object, and the verb is kanjiru, I should be able to take out everything in between for a simpler sentence, right? (Generally.) But senaka wo kanjiru makes no sense.

In the end, I figure he is getting some kind of weird, distant-y vibe from her back. Otherwise, it beats me...

And reading on...
dou kotoba wo kakete ii no ka wakaranakute, damatte iru to kairi ga egao de furimuita.

I'm positive on the part after the comma: she turned around with a smiling face silently. More or less. I would wager a guess on the first part, too (dou kotoba wo kakete), but the closer I get to wakaranakute, the more I doubt. I presume this is hitting on that damatteiru later on and says something along the lines of "lacking words..."

My issue is with the ii no ka wakaranakute. What is that ii no ka doing in there...?
"She doesn't know she lacks words that are okay...?"

Am I even close?
(Thanks for reading all of that.)
acval

Native language: English

Re: Sentences Which Make No Sense

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 07.22.2009 8:15 am

"senaka o kanjiru" may not make sense, but "senaka o tooku kanjiru" should make sense -- feel that she's (emotionally) farther away, I guess?

Your last question is an indirect question. "X ka wakaranai" means "Doesn't know the answer to X" -- for instance, "Ano hito ga dare ka wakaranai" means "I don't know who that person is".
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby yukamina » Wed 07.22.2009 1:29 pm

A Kingdom Hearts light novel? Why's it in romaji?
yukamina

Postby acval » Wed 07.22.2009 2:14 pm

I see! Thank you very much!!

yukamina, I used romaji because I don't trust this computer as far as I can throw it concerning foreign characters.

Thanks again! :D
acval

Postby keatonatron » Wed 07.22.2009 7:47 pm

yukamina wrote:A Kingdom Hearts light novel? Why's it in romaji?

Fanfiction. :lol:

(To the OP: I know you aren't reading fanfiction... and I know the book isn't in romaji. But if it was, this would be one explanation!)
keatonatron

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion