Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translation schools in Japan

Translation schools in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Translation schools in Japan

Postby bluntcrayon » Fri 07.24.2009 2:01 am

Hi

Just wondering if anybody knows of any school`s, preferably night school, in Nagoya or Tokyo that offer courses in translation from English to Japanese. I have passed JLPT level 1 and the ryugaku shiken etc and have decided i would like to move into translating. Obviously I am already doing a lot of translating by myself, but I have heard that translators usually require some sort of formal schooling / qualifications in order to be taken seriously / get any work.
Ignoring the fact that getting into translating is very dificult and competitive (which I am already very aware of), I`d just like to know if a course is out there in Japan? or will I just have to go back to England to do it?

Thanks
bluntcrayon

Re: Translation schools in Japan

Postby spin13 » Fri 07.24.2009 4:15 am

bluntcrayon wrote:translation from English to Japanese.

While I know some courses do train students to translate into their non-native language, it is my understanding that this is mostly academic. Most professional work is done into your native language. While countries like Japan seem a little more forgiving of non-native translations than linguistically diverse places like Europe, I believe you'll find more opportunities working from Japanese to English, especially if you are working in Japan (where there is no shortage of native Japanese speakers).

That said, if you find out otherwise, I'd be curious to hear about it.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Fri 07.24.2009 6:28 pm

That is true. Professional translators almost always work INTO their native language rather than into a target language.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby bluntcrayon » Sat 07.25.2009 4:08 am

sorry, i made a mistake. I did actually mean Japanese to English.
bluntcrayon

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 07.25.2009 7:22 pm

AJBryant wrote:That is true. Professional translators almost always work INTO their native language rather than into a target language.

I'd add to that and say the better professional translators work into their own native language. I've done both, translation and interpretation, from English to Japanese and from Japanese to English.. It's much easier into my own native tongue..
two_heads_talking

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan