Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The easiest-to-spot man in all of Japan.

The easiest-to-spot man in all of Japan.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: The easiest-to-spot man in all of Japan.

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 07.25.2009 7:20 pm

That last paragraph runs pretty true in my opinion. The Korean and Chinese families I knew, even though they were Japanese citizens and with their children born in Japan were still ostracized for not being "Nihonjin." So, phreadom, it's not what you might expect, but it still has a deep vein in Japan.

2nd class citizen has a whole different meaning in Japan.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby KINGZ » Tue 08.11.2009 12:29 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:That last paragraph runs pretty true in my opinion. The Korean and Chinese families I knew, even though they were Japanese citizens and with their children born in Japan were still ostracized for not being "Nihonjin." So, phreadom, it's not what you might expect, but it still has a deep vein in Japan.

2nd class citizen has a whole different meaning in Japan.

Wow, it makes it look like Japan has a broader range of racism then the US. The US is a country of nothing but immigrants (other than Native Americans), and for the most part most ppl don’t care where you come from, as long as you can speak somewhat bad English you are ok. Then it’s broken down by color some, and then broken down from North or South depending where you live.

As for the odd ball man out in the pic, I think he has more to offer then anyone else in the pic, he stands out, he is not afraid to think different. When looking at the pic, I get the feeling of nationalism. Don’t ask me why. LOL
KINGZ

Postby keatonatron » Tue 08.11.2009 12:43 pm

KINGZ wrote:As for the odd ball man out in the pic, I think he has more to offer then anyone else in the pic, he stands out, he is not afraid to think different.

That's your Western-style thinking showing through :wink:

In [traditional] Japanese society, standing out and thinking different are not good traits. People can't be successful if they don't work with the flow of those around them.

"Any nail sticking out gets hammered down" is a good way to describe a lot of Japanese workplaces :?
keatonatron

Postby KINGZ » Tue 08.11.2009 1:49 pm

keatonatron wrote:
KINGZ wrote:As for the odd ball man out in the pic, I think he has more to offer then anyone else in the pic, he stands out, he is not afraid to think different.

In [traditional] Japanese society, standing out and thinking different are not good traits. People can't be successful if they don't work with the flow of those around them.

"Any nail sticking out gets hammered down" is a good way to describe a lot of Japanese workplaces :?

yea my point exactly... LOL I would never ever want that for anyone in my family, but there has to be jobs there where you have to be different, you have to think out side the box.. ie game developers, advertisers, mech engineers, designers, ect... so do they get shun by others becuase they do things different.
KINGZ

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 08.11.2009 3:17 pm

KINGZ wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

yea my point exactly... LOL I would never ever want that for anyone in my family, but there has to be jobs there where you have to be different, you have to think out side the box.. ie game developers, advertisers, mech engineers, designers, ect... so do they get shun by others becuase they do things different.

You are not thinking like a Japanese here. thinking outside the box isn't for the workers, it's for management or those with decision making responsibility, and even then, it's only decided after deliberation. We Americans tend to think that thinking outside the box is best.. Japanese see it a bit differently.. I think they see a bigger box with more things inside than we do.. we see a small box with nothing in it.. two different philosophies..
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 08.11.2009 8:17 pm

KINGZ wrote:yea my point exactly... LOL I would never ever want that for anyone in my family, but there has to be jobs there where you have to be different, you have to think out side the box.. ie game developers, advertisers, mech engineers, designers, ect... so do they get shun by others becuase they do things different.

Just to add what Two Heads said:

Just because someone LOOKS like they're fitting in and dressing like everyone else does not mean that they are an automaton, or not able to think outside of the box. It seems to be a pretty overwhelming idea in the west that to be a free thinker you also have to LOOK like a free thinker (whatever that means) and that only people who don't play by society's rules are those who can "think outside the box" as you put it.

People who are game developers and advertisers are definitely NOT looked down on in Japan.
And if you think that people in america don't get shunned for doing things different, ask yourself what people think of the guy down on 3rd that opens his trenchcoat to people and screams "My Colon is an alien name Beazle-wurst!!!"
Now he's DEFINITELY thinking outside the box. [/tongueincheek]

Sorry, my mother's been visiting for a week, and at first it was really hard to get her used to the idea that just because people look the same on the outside does not mean that they're the same on the inside....
She finally got used to the idea though. =)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Disco » Tue 08.11.2009 10:34 pm

If he only knew that he has sparked a debate in a forum...^^
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby chikara » Wed 08.12.2009 9:11 pm

keatonatron wrote:Please notice the green and neon-orange flip-flops.....

They are probably a very expensive pair of Havaianas' thongs.

He is probably wearing the Hi-Viz T-shirt so his Japanese friends will recognise him because all westerners look the same :P
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Wed 08.12.2009 10:04 pm

chikara wrote:because all westerners look the same :P

:lol:

I admit that I often have trouble distinguishing where in the world someone comes from, but it's not exactly what I'm thinking about when I see someone. :P

PS - I hate the smiley for sticking your tongue out...
Blog: http://www.LicensedToChaos.arcrpg.co.cc
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Wed 08.12.2009 10:11 pm

lonelytraveler8 wrote:PS - I hate the smiley for sticking your tongue out...

To slightly hijack the thread... I hate it too. I really need to fix these stupid things. *sigh*
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Thu 08.13.2009 12:03 am

*cringes as he helps in hijacking*

Yeah, photoshopping some new smilies is pretty high on my list of things to do for some forums I've been working on. There are so many things on that list, though...

*now attempts to return to the original topic*

I find it highly amusing that this picture has sparked such deep thoughts as what harisenbon and others have offered.
Do you like to roleplay? Have you heard of Play-By-Post? Give it a shot at ARCRPG and help us build a great community.
lonelytraveler8

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 08.13.2009 9:15 am

lonelytraveler8 wrote:*

I find it highly amusing that this picture has sparked such deep thoughts as what harisenbon and others have offered.

any topic can be 'deep.' It's all a matter of processing information and being observant and willing to listen to or understand someone else's observations and to be willing to think about it.
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Thu 08.13.2009 4:28 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

any topic can be 'deep.' It's all a matter of processing information and being observant and willing to listen to or understand someone else's observations and to be willing to think about it.

Or just make jokes about silly pictures.
keatonatron

Postby Infidel » Thu 08.13.2009 5:50 pm

Wha? Someone was talking?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby lonelytraveler8 » Thu 08.13.2009 7:43 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

Of course, but it doesn't mean that everything will, and some will spark conversation a lot more than others. :P
lonelytraveler8

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion