Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A certain interval for preventing a spammer like Suprass

A certain interval for preventing a spammer like Suprass

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

A certain interval for preventing a spammer like Suprass

Postby coco » Tue 07.28.2009 12:27 am

Since I glanced at supress's posts, I though that we need to set a certain interval after they registered for posting their first post.

Of course it won't be a perfect solution for preventing a spammer like Suprass but it may be better than nothing.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Re: A certian interval for preventing a spammer like Suprass

Postby Disco » Tue 07.28.2009 12:29 am

Yeah... what he/she's doing is just plain riddiculous.…
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Native language: English

Re: A certain interval for preventing a spammer like Suprass

Postby Dustin » Tue 07.28.2009 12:33 am

Unfortunately I think that might discourage a few new users from taking part in the forums as well, unfortunately spammers are spammers and there is not much that can be done about it other than moderating the forums.
I know when I first signed up it was to start posting, in the intro's and such. If I had to wait after registering I may not have taken part in the boards at all, and now I have been here for quite some time.

Especially when posts are made in times where the board is quieter they are able to linger longer..... it is really unfortunate.
Dustin

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 07.28.2009 12:47 am

We were just discussing this in the chat, but maybe deputizing a few more trustworthy members as mods for cases like this?There seems to be an awful lot of spam type posts recently, and a few more mods (preferably in different time zones) might make cleanup easier in this type of situation. Just an idea. :D
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Dustin » Tue 07.28.2009 12:51 am

becki_kanou wrote:We were just discussing this in the chat, but maybe deputizing a few more trustworthy members as mods for cases like this?
There seems to be an awful lot of spam type posts recently, and a few more mods (preferably in different time zones) might make cleanup easier in cases like this. Just an idea. :D

I agree with this, as I was the mod in the chat that was approached when phreadom was not around ^^.

Taking a look at the current moderator lists, I only see a few that I Recognize as active, maybe I am wrong in assuming this, but it seems we could use a few fresher ( but proven trustworthy ) faces to help battle the spam and garbage as rare as it is now.
Dustin

Postby coco » Tue 07.28.2009 1:08 am

Surpass joined TJP at : 27 Jul 2009 10:54 pm (EDT, I guess)
- His/her first post was posted at : 27 Jul 2009 10:59 pm
- His/her last post was : on 27 Jul 2009 11:20 pm
- He/she made 10 infernal posts.
I am wondering if all mods have a privilege of banning a spammer or only admins can ban a spammer?

becki_kanou wrote:We were just discussing this in the chat, but maybe deputizing a few more trustworthy members as mods for cases like this?There seems to be an awful lot of spam type posts recently, and a few more mods (preferably in different time zones) might make cleanup easier in this type of situation. Just an idea. :D

I agree with Becki-san's idea.
--
Surpass seems to have been banned. Thank you,Tony-san and Mystique-san. :)
coco

Postby coco » Tue 07.28.2009 2:43 am

Dustin wrote:Unfortunately I think that might discourage a few new users from taking part in the forums as well,

Yes, it might discourage a few new users as well as some spammers.
However, to learn foreign language needs a lot of time and patience, as you know. I assume most learners will be able to wait for a certain period, if it is shorter than a week.

As far as I know, most spammers have made their posts on the registered date. There were exceptions too. I remember someone made spam posts 3 days after registered.
coco

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.28.2009 3:41 am

coco wrote:
Dustin wrote:Unfortunately I think that might discourage a few new users from taking part in the forums as well,

Yes, it might discourage a few new users as well as some spammers.
However, to learn foreign language needs a lot of time and patience, as you know. I assume most learners will be able to wait for a certain period, if it is shorter than a week.

As far as I know, most spammers have made their posts on the registered date. There were exceptions too. I remember someone made spam posts 3 days after registered.

I think what might be more reasonable is a delay on posting pictures. Perhaps even a delay coupled with a post count requirement or something. That way even if these people could write hate filled messages, they couldn't include those horrible pictures in them as well. Plus, this would not prevent normal users from posting. Most users very rarely include pictures etc, so hopefully something like that would have negligible impact on legitimate users.

That aside, I've nominated a few people to be moderators, and am waiting on feedback from Clay and the other mods. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby shoCk_x » Tue 07.28.2009 5:16 am

I suggested in the chat a few days ago that we assign a certain number of posts a new user must make before being able to use the [img] tag or post outside links. I think that this would be the most effective way to cut down on posts like this. Sure the spammer might post tons of junk to get past that point, but at least then we'll be able to catch that person sooner.
shoCk_x

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.28.2009 5:19 am

shoCk_x wrote:I suggested in the chat a few days ago that we assign a certain number of posts a new user must make before being able to use the [img] tag or post outside links. I think that this would be the most effective way to cut down on posts like this. Sure the spammer might post tons of junk to get past that point, but at least then we'll be able to catch that person sooner.

That is correct, you did indeed mention that. :) ありがとう。 :D

(I ♥ TJP Chat! And welcome back to the forum!) :mrgreen:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby shoCk_x » Tue 07.28.2009 5:21 am

phreadom wrote:
shoCk_x wrote:I suggested in the chat a few days ago ~~~ we'll be able to catch that person sooner.

That is correct, you did indeed mention that. :) ありがとう。 :D

(I ♥ TJP Chat! And welcome back to the forum!) :mrgreen:

Yes indeedy it was totally my idea J-man 8)

and lol I don't think you can say "welcome back" as I was never really a regular on the forums..
shoCk_x

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 07.28.2009 7:41 am

Looks like I've missed some spamming excitement around here. Dammit! I haven't been around for a few days coz I thought it was getting really boring. Serves me right, ey??!

:lol:
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 07.28.2009 7:57 am

tokai devotee wrote:Looks like I've missed some spamming excitement around here. Dammit! I haven't been around for a few days coz I thought it was getting really boring. Serves me right, ey??!

:lol:

Believe me you're lucky to have missed it. This was more hate-mail than spam. Truly grotesque.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 07.28.2009 8:08 am

Luckily it was clear from the post titles that they were spam, but I like the idea of blocking the img tag from people with less than 10 or 30 posts or something like that.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Tue 07.28.2009 11:05 am

I like the img tag block for less than a certain number of posts.

Another thing we might consider is putting new members on moderated status -- that is, their messages have to wait for a moderator to approve or disapprove of them before they appear in the forum. Is that possible? I know a lot of e-mail groups I belong to do that, but it might be a different architecture on the site.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Suggestions