Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A certain interval for preventing a spammer like Suprass

A certain interval for preventing a spammer like Suprass

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Re: A certain interval for preventing a spammer like Suprass

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.28.2009 11:50 am

AJBryant wrote:I like the img tag block for less than a certain number of posts.

Another thing we might consider is putting new members on moderated status -- that is, their messages have to wait for a moderator to approve or disapprove of them before they appear in the forum. Is that possible? I know a lot of e-mail groups I belong to do that, but it might be a different architecture on the site.

Tony

We could even make it a relatively low number? How many spammers are going to go to the trouble of writing 10 or even 5 legitimate on-topic posts just to get around the roadblock to then be able to spam? I would think they'd just move on to an easier target. Path of least resistance etc.

I'll have to look into if and how these different approaches might be implemented. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 07.28.2009 12:02 pm

I think those small things and maybe some new mods in different time zones who might be around to see spam earlier should help clear up the problem without presenting barriers to new posters.

I guess a "first 5 posts must be approved by the moderators" might scare new legitimate posters away from posting on-topic Japanese things because they might feel like if they post something "stupid" they'll be rejected -- I'm not suer, though.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.28.2009 12:11 pm

I think unless things get really out of hand, I'd greatly prefer adding moderators to adding hurdles for legitimate users. :)

But it doesn't hurt to look at the options just in case.

On that note, Becki_Kanou and Dustin have now officially joined the mod squad. :D (Becki being in Japan, so well positioned to check on things during the "night shift" so to speak.)

I've added another person in Japan as well, but am waiting to hear back from a PM before I mention that one. Hopefully this helps things out, and we can always add a few more if need be. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 07.28.2009 1:54 pm

Is that enough? I thought Becki said she wasn't going to be around much anymore because of her newborn, and Dustin has made 4 posts in the last month (which I suppose is not necessarily an indication of how often he visits or reads the board). I'm not saying those are bad choices, just that it may not do enough to solve the issue that a number of the moderators do not visit the boards that often.

From what I can see, this is the current moderator/admin list:
richvh
keatonatron
Mystique
Zeo
Shindig
Oni
Clay
phreadom
njt
AJBryant
Dustin
becki_kanou
paulb (last visit May 2007)
Mariya (last visit Dec 2008)
redfoxer (last visit Jan 2009)
randomperson (last visit Apr 2009)
SaigonoBan (last visit Mar 2007)
yume_kaji (last visit Jun 2008)
Keo (last visit Sep 2008)
Daisuke (last visit Nov 2008)

I suppose that's more than it looked like at first.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.28.2009 2:05 pm

I must ask, I sort of wonder why we don't just make you a mod? :P

I haven't been around as long as many of the long time members, and haven't been on the forums as much etc, so I'm not as familiar with you might be good candidates etc. :(

I was just thinking a bit ago about Becki and baby Rin-rin. :( hrm...

Well... I'm all ears (eyes). :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 07.28.2009 3:21 pm

Hey! Thanks for the shiny new mod-powers. I promise not to abuse them. Mwa ha ha ha ha!

Even though I'm not posting as much I'm still reading the forums every day, so I can definitely delete any spam that pops up.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Infidel » Tue 07.28.2009 6:46 pm

Tony uses smite button, will Becki use yorikiri?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 07.28.2009 7:22 pm

Nah! I'm more of a fan of tsuridashi. :twisted:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Dustin » Tue 07.28.2009 7:22 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Dustin has made 4 posts in the last month (which I suppose is not necessarily an indication of how often he visits or reads the board).

I read the boards much more often than I post in them these days, and I spend pretty well every evening with my laptop on, in the TJP chat room, frequenting the new posts on a few sites to waste time.

Hopefully things get a little more lively in here soon and then I will be able to post to more threads I am both interested in, and have something constructive to add :D
Dustin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 07.28.2009 7:34 pm

Dustin wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:Dustin has made 4 posts in the last month (which I suppose is not necessarily an indication of how often he visits or reads the board).

I read the boards much more often than I post in them these days, and I spend pretty well every evening with my laptop on, in the TJP chat room, frequenting the new posts on a few sites to waste time.

Hopefully things get a little more lively in here soon and then I will be able to post to more threads I am both interested in, and have something constructive to add :D

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything by that -- I wasn't trying to insult or criticize either phreadom or you, I just wondered if 2 additional people was enough.

phreadom: I suppose I could also be a mod if you think it would help.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 07.28.2009 7:40 pm

Yeah I agree with putting Yudan as a moderator, he is like online every freaking minute! hehe
Also I believe Coco should be a moderator if she is up for it. She does a great job for this community, and she knows like everything that is posted here!

Those are my personal opinions.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Dustin » Tue 07.28.2009 7:45 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything by that -- I wasn't trying to insult or criticize either phreadom or you, I just wondered if 2 additional people was enough.

phreadom: I suppose I could also be a mod if you think it would help.

No Problem, I know I haven't posted much and I agree more mods should be added, I definitely think you should get mod status if you're up for it ^^

I believe Someone else has been asked just awaiting a reply.

Anyone else that you can think of that would be able to support our cause? ^^
Dustin

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 07.28.2009 7:48 pm

Well if you want active people on the board, I have noticed that Kurisuto and Astaroth is online a great deal even though they are fairly "new" to the board. They are also constructive posters.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby phreadom » Tue 07.28.2009 7:52 pm

NocturnalOcean wrote:Yeah I agree with putting Yudan as a moderator, he is like online every freaking minute! hehe
Also I believe Coco should be a moderator if she is up for it. She does a great job for this community, and she knows like everything that is posted here!

Those are my personal opinions.

Actually she is the other person I was referring to. I messaged her privately to ask her if she would be willing to accept the role, but I haven't heard back from her yet. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 07.28.2009 8:14 pm

Dustin wrote:I read the boards much more often than I post in them these days, and I spend pretty well every evening with my laptop on, in the TJP chat room, frequenting the new posts on a few sites to waste time.

I know the feeling. My browser (and RSS feed) are almost constantly set to TJP while I'm at work, but for some reason I never seem to actually post anything... :/

If Becki has less time because of the baby, I can take over the JP day shift.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions