Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 麦茶・2

麦茶・2

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

麦茶・2

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 07.13.2009 7:40 pm

暑いわ。つまり、今年の麦茶季節がようやく来ていますね。実はもう半分終わったかもしれないけどなぜか夏の始まりはあまり飲む気がなかったんです。今日のヤツは凄い濃く作っちゃったからちょっと水を入れときました。

(天助はあいかわらず爽健美茶ありません。)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Re: 麦茶・2

Postby Disco » Sat 08.01.2009 6:00 pm

Deciphering Attempt Plan Foxtrot Alpha Beta… Commence!★☆。 暑いわ。(It IS hot, or speaking of the hottness?)つまり、(In other words,)今年(ことし、 I thought it was こんねん^^)の麦茶季節(Toughie,... wheat brown season?むぎちゃきせつ)がようやく(Finally?)来ていますね(Its finally coming, right?)。実は(The truth is)もう半分終わったかもしれない(Perhaps its already half-way over)けど(But)なぜは夏の始まりは(Why is the beginning of summer)あまり(Remainder)飲む気(Air in which you drink?)がなかったんです(There was none)。今日のヤツは(Todays person, people today)凄い(すごい)濃く(こく Thick)作っちゃったから(From being able to make?)ちょっと水を入れときました(Just poured a little water and solved?)・・・・・Over~Sergeant! Give me your report。 ;;; Its hot. In other words, this year's wheat season is finally coming, right? The truth is, its probably already half-way over, but why in the beginning of summer, there was no drinkable air (nomuki). People today are amazingly dense from being able to make it by just pouring a little bit of water, and its solved. ★☆
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 08.01.2009 6:16 pm

My, but it's hot! Barley tea drinking season has finally rolled around. Actually, it's probably already half over but for some reason I didn't feel like drinking it at the beginning of summer. I made the tea very strong today so I added some water.

Very nice try, Disco. One place you tripped up was changing なぜか to なぜは. Are you familiar with question words (naze, dare, doko, itsu, etc) followed immediately by the particle "ka"?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Disco » Sat 08.01.2009 6:37 pm

Yeah- Like.. 今、何かを料理しょうと思っています?it makes Like...どこ Where To どこか someplace. I know it but cant articulate it -_-.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 08.01.2009 6:48 pm

That's it. So "naze" + "ka" = "for some reason". When we ask "why" we are asking "for what reason?"
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Disco » Sat 08.01.2009 6:55 pm

Ah- NOW I see. Thank you. In my english brain, I thought of naze as "why", not as requesting a reason (which why is -_-), and I didn't make that connection. Also I retyped it wrong when i was translating it :mrgreen:
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 08.01.2009 10:55 pm

A couple of other things:

やつ can also mean "thing" rather than "person"; I'm not sure if 今日のやつ meaning "today's barley tea" is natural, but that's what it was supposed to mean.
Verb + 気がない means that you do not have the desire to do something.
来る is one of those verbs that cannot take a progressive meaning, so 来ています has to mean "has come" rather than "is coming".
入れときました is a contraction of 入れておきました, meaning "added [for future purpose]"

The parenthetical at the end was probably uninterpretable because it had two proper names in it; 天助 (the name of the local Japanese store I buy stuff from), and 爽健美茶 (a type of tea blend sold by Coca-Cola in Japan).
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan