Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Another (more simple) correction

Another (more simple) correction

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Another (more simple) correction

Postby kentaku_sama » Mon 08.03.2009 7:16 pm

In my last correction post someone mentioned I should stay simple until I totally understand the concept. Here are some practice sentences I made for Genki II lesson 13.

ピアノとギターを弾けます。 でも、 全部楽器をできません。  I Can play piano and guitar but not all instruments.

一週間に四回犬を歩きます。  I Walk my dog 4 times a week.

お母さんの車を運転してみました。     I tried to drive my mom's car.

この本は読めますか? スパに語でありません でも、 日本語ならあります。 Can you read this book? If it's spanish I can't but if it's japanese I can.

高そうなギター  Expensive looking guitar.
kentaku_sama

Native language: English

Re: Another (more simple) correction

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 08.03.2009 7:37 pm

In my last correction post someone mentioned I should stay simple until I totally understand the concept. Here are some practice sentences I made for Genki II lesson 13.

ピアノとギターを弾けます。 でも、 全部楽器をできません。  I Can play piano and guitar but not all instruments.

This is kind of a strange sentence in English as well (why do you need to specify that you can't play all instruments? Nobody can do that.) The problem with your second sentence is that you are literally saying you cannot play all instruments (i.e. that you can play no instruments). Changing を to は might help but it still sounds unnatural -- it's hard to make things that are unnatural in concept sound natural at all, though.

I think you would have to go with something like 楽器は全部はできません。

一週間に四回犬を歩きます。  I Walk my dog 4 times a week.

This sentence is fine in theory, but 犬を歩く is not the idiomatic way to say "walk a dog" in Japanese -- I'm not sure what it is since I've never had a dog, but it looks from google like 犬と歩く (walk with the dog) is a possibility.

お母さんの車を運転してみました。     I tried to drive my mom's car.

OK.

この本は読めますか? スパに語でありません でも、 日本語ならあります。 Can you read this book? If it's spanish I can't but if it's japanese I can.

あります does not mean "can", it means "exist" or "have". You got "can read" right in the question, so just copy that into the response.

高そうなギター  Expensive looking guitar.

OK.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 08.03.2009 11:12 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:一週間に四回犬を歩きます。  I Walk my dog 4 times a week.

The most natural way to say this is:
犬のお散歩をします。(いぬ の おさんぽ を します)
I take my dog for a walk.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby ニッキー » Tue 08.04.2009 1:14 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:This is kind of a strange sentence in English as well (why do you need to specify that you can't play all instruments? Nobody can do that.) The problem with your second sentence is that you are literally saying you cannot play all instruments (i.e. that you can play no instruments). Changing を to は might help but it still sounds unnatural -- it's hard to make things that are unnatural in concept sound natural at all, though.

It seems to me like he's actually trying to say "I can play the piano and the guitar, but I can't play anything else", i.e. stressing the fact that there's nothing other than the piano and guitar that he can play.
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby astaroth » Tue 08.04.2009 9:17 am

ニッキー wrote:It seems to me like he's actually trying to say "I can play the piano and the guitar, but I can't play anything else", i.e. stressing the fact that there's nothing other than the piano and guitar that he can play.

I thought this too ... what about using しか for such a case?
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby kentaku_sama » Fri 02.05.2010 1:11 pm

Ok thanks
kentaku_sama