Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Miyazawa on YouTube

Miyazawa on YouTube

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Miyazawa on YouTube

Postby Roy Candler » Mon 08.03.2009 3:23 pm

Found on YouTube, several clips with variations on the title "Fantasy Railroad in the Stars", for example this (rather long) one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrDHXPN ... re=related

Although this particular clip includes a song ("One Night" sung by Hiroko Inoue) it's no.2 in a series, which consist of readings from Miyazawa Kenji's 銀河鉄道の夜 (Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru - "Night on the Galactic Railroad"). This particular clip is chapter 6, I believe. FWIW, it also includes a song - "One Night" sung by Hiroko Inoue. Subtitles are in Chinese . . .

Apparently, it's the work of Kagaya Studios, but I can't make out what's going on. My Japanese is not up to it. One of the shorter clips calls itself a trailer, which suggests that they've made a cinema film, although I've seen a comment somewhere that it might be a production intended to be shown in a planetarium. Where the clips were obtained, I've no idea.

If available on DVD, I reckon it would sell but I've seen no advertising.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Roy
Roy Candler

Native language: English

Re: Miyazawa on YouTube

Postby Valatunda » Mon 08.03.2009 11:13 pm

Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby Roy Candler » Tue 08.04.2009 5:29 pm

They certainly do. Reading Miyazawa's tale is one of the things on my "To Do" list, but I fear it may be some time before my Japanese is up to it . . . meanwhile, I can sit back, relax and enjoy the clips.

I also understand now the significance of the triangulation towers, which had been puzzling me.

Thanks,

Roy
Roy Candler

Postby Roy Candler » Mon 02.28.2011 4:17 pm

Well, there haven't been any follow-ups but, just in case some passing visitor is sufficiently intrigued, I've put down some thoughts about Miyazawa's 銀河鉄道の夜 (Ginga Tetsudou no yoru) here:

http://www.rcandler.talktalk.net/index.html

Took me a while to figure out what the video clips were from - not a new film version of the story, but a planetarium show, on astronomy with readings of favourite passages from the story (and some beautiful music). Hence the absence of passengers on the train, just the voiceover.

Roy
Roy Candler

Postby kt_anthrax » Mon 02.28.2011 10:54 pm

kt_anthrax

Native language: japanese

Postby Roy Candler » Sat 03.05.2011 7:04 am

Well, the second one has already been mentioned but the first one is undoubtedly useful for anyone wanting to buy the DVD (or other DVDs from the same studio).

However, my recent update was more concerned with the book than the film, both for the story itself and for the translations, as there is plenty in Kenji's story to puzzle a gaijin. That's deviating from the original subject, perhaps, but not too far I hope.
Roy Candler

Return to Japanese Movies and Music