Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How Popular is Dance in Japan?

How Popular is Dance in Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

How Popular is Dance in Japan?

Postby Hatori » Sun 09.07.2008 7:12 pm

Hello, the title speaks for itself. Is taking dance lessons a popular thing to do in Japan for adults and kids? I'm not only talking about traditional dance styles, but things that are more modern, such hiphop or ballroom.

In America I know tons of children and teens that take lessons and perform for people. Many adults take lessons as couples, but I wanted to see how popular this was in Japan.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Re: How Popular is Dance in Japan?

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 09.07.2008 7:53 pm

I don't know for sure, but I believe that ballroom dancing gained in popularity a bit after Shall we ダンス? came out.

I personally know several people who are fond of ballroom dancing/ social dancing, as well as one professional ballerina, and one girl studying Nihon-buyo, and one woman who was taking a pole-dancing :shock: class. Also, for some reason hula dancing has beome quite popular with ladies over fifty, and is often offered at health clubs etc.

Hip-hop dance is quite popular with young people and I often see them lined up in front of windows and other reflective surfaces at night practicing their dances moves. The OCAT center in Osaka is one particularly popular place for this, and they even have a yearly dance contest if I remember correctly.

Anyway, these are all just personal anecdotes, but I'm sure if you googled you could probably find out some more actual data.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 09.08.2008 9:47 am

And here I thought the OP was asking about festival dances. Darn.
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Mon 09.08.2008 12:48 pm

This might be more a coincidence than a trend, but 2 young Japanese girls I talked to online were taking up belly dancing. Neither one knew the other, so I'm guessing it may have some popularity.

I would say that dance in general is rather popular in Japan. My beloved capoeira is actually popular in Japan while not so many Americans seem to know what it is. And for those of you who don't know what it is, it's a martial art that basically incorperates dance.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 09.08.2008 1:52 pm

Dehitay wrote:This might be more a coincidence than a trend, but 2 young Japanese girls I talked to online were taking up belly dancing. Neither one knew the other, so I'm guessing it may have some popularity.

I would say that dance in general is rather popular in Japan. My beloved capoeira is actually popular in Japan while not so many Americans seem to know what it is. And for those of you who don't know what it is, it's a martial art that basically incorperates dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51q1VB_dDik IT's a Brazillian martial art .. it blends martial arts, dance and some playing or gaming if you will ..

Dehitey, are you required to play an instrument when you aren't singing or sparring?
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Tue 09.09.2008 2:39 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Dehitay wrote:This might be more a coincidence than a trend, but 2 young Japanese girls I talked to online were taking up belly dancing. Neither one knew the other, so I'm guessing it may have some popularity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51q1VB_dDik IT's a Brazillian martial art .. it blends martial arts, dance and some playing or gaming if you will ..

Dehitey, are you required to play an instrument when you aren't singing or sparring?

No, but I kind of wish I did. That would mean I was part of a good capoeira school instead of the leader of a highly unpopular capoeira club at Texas Tech. Not only do I not have the instruments, I don't even have a way of playing music in the room I use for practice.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Hatori » Tue 09.09.2008 8:18 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:And here I thought the OP was asking about festival dances. Darn.

tht, you can talk about festive dances. What I meant by "traditional" vaguely included festival dances. :D

becki_kanou wrote:I don't know for sure, but I believe that ballroom dancing gained in popularity a bit after Shall we ダンス? came out.

I really want to purchase that movie. I have the American version, but I want to see the original film. I watched it a few months back and it reminded me to ask about dance.
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 09.10.2008 10:46 am

Hatori wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:And here I thought the OP was asking about festival dances. Darn.

tht, you can talk about festive dances. What I meant by "traditional" vaguely included festival dances. :D

becki_kanou wrote:I don't know for sure, but I believe that ballroom dancing gained in popularity a bit after Shall we ダンス? came out.

I really want to purchase that movie. I have the American version, but I want to see the original film. I watched it a few months back and it reminded me to ask about dance.

From what I remember each Festival had it's own dances. And many of the community members would participate. Where possible, In the Tohoku area, I tried to participate in each of the Festivals that I could. Unfortunately, that didn't end up being very many.. I always found the Obone dances to be some of the most interesting.
two_heads_talking

Postby Hatori » Wed 09.10.2008 10:54 pm

two_heads_talking wrote: I always found the Obone dances to be some of the most interesting.

I've danced at Obone festivals a few towns over. It was so interesting, but I look absolutely stupid when I dance. :oops: Sadly, I wasn't able to go to any festivities this year, so, I missed out on some dancing.

I haven't really seen any other dances, though. I'd look something up on YouTube, but I'm one of the few people with dial-up nowadays... :|
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby chikara » Thu 09.11.2008 12:00 am

Dehitay wrote:.... I would say that dance in general is rather popular in Japan. My beloved capoeira is actually popular in Japan while not so many Americans seem to know what it is. And for those of you who don't know what it is, it's a martial art that basically incorperates dance.

Capoeira is popular in this country but I don't know any one who puts it in the "dance" category.

Hatori wrote:..... I haven't really seen any other dances, though. I'd look something up on YouTube, but I'm one of the few people with dial-up nowadays... :|

Try Googling ダンスホール
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby chiisu321 » Thu 12.11.2008 10:34 am

thanks to media, it's becoming WAY more popular.
A lot of young girls I know have started taking lessons or have formed hip hop groups in school and hired a local hip hop teacher to be the coach. They're getting REALLY good.
But, yea....the demand for such dance lessons is increasing, however slowly. Dance parties and such are RARE so people are more shy about dancing.
But, i live in a lower populated area. I wouldn't know, but I would assume in more international areas like Tokyo, it would be more appealing.
chiisu321

Postby ganbaru » Sat 01.31.2009 3:52 am

Summary
Dance is popular in Japan.

Dancing in Japan is one of the top 3 things kids wish to learn growing up by the natives.
(Piano/music being the first, I can't remember the 2nd, and 3rd is dance).

I'm not sure about which specific styles you are referring to, however Hiphop has a large community in Japan.
Dancers from all over the world come to take classes from Japanese dancers, whom have also learned from the pioneers of hiphop.

One thing I have noticed about Japanese culture, and interactions with my Japanese friends.
No matter what their passion is (dancing, playing in a bad, even playing sports) -- There is no room for mistakes.
Japanese will train their skill very hard to be the best they can. I've mentioned this to my Japanese friends and they agree. Japanese people are very concerned with the level of skill you have (I don't just mean foreigners, i mean amongst themselves.)

Getting back on track -- As long as you can locate a school or dancers of the style you wish to learn or train in, you'll probably find that you'll be quite disciplined to train along side Japanese peers. They want to do their best, and will want you to do your best too!

頑張ってね!
ganbaru

Postby OitaFish » Sat 01.31.2009 9:52 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:From what I remember each Festival had it's own dances. And many of the community members would participate. Where possible, In the Tohoku area, I tried to participate in each of the Festivals that I could. Unfortunately, that didn't end up being very many.. I always found the Obone dances to be some of the most interesting.

I was in this one last year:
http://www.oita-yeg.gr.jp/patchin/

They have on-line lessons for the dance here:
http://www.oita-yeg.gr.jp/patchin/2008/ ... sson1.html

It was fun but it was at the beginning of August and it was very hot.
OitaFish

Postby gracyna » Tue 08.04.2009 5:41 am

How much does it generally cost to hire a dance troupe for a wedding? I'm looking particularly for a swing group to perform, and possibly dance with the guests as well.

Native language: 日本語

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan