Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Native Language Profile Setting

Native Language Profile Setting

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Re: Native Language Profile Setting

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.17.2008 12:20 am

Do I need to make the text field for the language a little longer? It's set to 20 characters right now.... but I can make it a lot bigger if need be.

I see that SS seems to have shortened it to "English speaking fam", where I'm guessing it would have been at least "English speaking family".

Let me know please. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby ss » Sun 08.17.2008 2:56 am

Yes, fam = family
Would appreciate that, thanks again. ^_^
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby coco » Mon 08.03.2009 9:18 pm

spin13 wrote:Many other language learning forums (e.g., WordReference, UsingEnglish) include a profile option to display the first/native language of every user. This information is usually visible in both the profile and every post, along with the user's name, post count, and location. Would it be possible to add this to the site? I would also suggest making it mandatory information.

Is it difficult to make a member's native language to be mandatory information at a members profile?
As Spin13-san suggested in his OP, basically, I think native language information should be mandatory.
However, there must be some members who don't want to tell their native language, so answering "N.A.(No answer)"(or something like that) could be one of options.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Valatunda » Mon 08.03.2009 10:21 pm

coco wrote:However, there must be some members who don't want to tell their native language, so answering "N.A.(No answer)"(or something like that) could be one of options.

Wouldn’t that be similar to the same position we have now?

Maybe it could be made a need to be able to register, but as for others, they would have to be asked I imagine.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.03.2009 10:24 pm

coco wrote:
spin13 wrote:Many other language learning forums (e.g., WordReference, UsingEnglish) include a profile option to display the first/native language of every user. This information is usually visible in both the profile and every post, along with the user's name, post count, and location. Would it be possible to add this to the site? I would also suggest making it mandatory information.

Is it difficult to make a member's native language to be mandatory information at a members profile?
As Spin13-san suggested in his OP, basically, I think native language information should be mandatory.
However, there must be some members who don't want to tell their native language, so answering "N.A.(No answer)"(or something like that) could be one of options.

We can make it a required field both when registering and if a user later edits their profile (which would affect all the users who registered in the past before we implemented the Native Language entry). :)

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 08.03.2009 10:41 pm

It would certainly be nice to know. That way people can give help in languages other than English when needed, and you can tell if someone's English is iffy because they're non-native, or just because they're lazy.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby coco » Mon 08.03.2009 10:54 pm

Is it possible to show a notice that the native language column is mandatory to members who didn't fill in their native language when they log in the forums?

I also remember that some of members data of languages were gone few weeks after native language was shown in their posts. For example, I saw Harisenbon-san and Tanuki-san had showed their native language. Hari-san wrote it with a humorous tone. like "へたな英語". Am I right? > 針さん  
I myself had to rewrite my native language.
coco

Postby phreadom » Mon 08.03.2009 11:11 pm

coco wrote:Is it possible to show a notice that the native language column is mandatory to members who didn't fill in their native language when they log in the forums?

I also remember that some of members data of languages were gone few weeks after native language was shown in their posts. For example, I saw Harisenbon-san and Tanuki-san had showed their native language. Hari-san wrote it with a humorous tone. like "へたな英語". Am I right? > 針さん  
I myself had to rewrite my native language.

I'm starting to wonder if one of the database crashes we had awhile back did more damage to our forum database than we've been aware of. I thought everything was restored correctly and we seem to have been running fine since then... I don't recall knowing about these missing language settings, but I do know that we are missing a number of forum posts, as you pointed out a few weeks ago. :(

At some point I need to go through and try to figure out what's happened and possibly a way to merge in the old missing posts without affecting the existing posts etc. :(

To answer your question though, I'm not sure about hassling the existing users to force them to add that setting. I can see possibly making it a mandatory field upon registration, as users are already expecting to fill in information... but making existing users go back to edit their profile seems a little intrusive?

Let's see what some others think about the issue. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby coco » Mon 08.03.2009 11:28 pm

I think it was after the moving (March '08) that you had kindly set a native language for us.(Aug.'08)

but making existing users go back to edit their profile seems a little intrusive?

:D  As you said, it might be intrusive. :P
---
Sorry, Phreadom-san, it was not few weeks but 2 months (Oct.'08) after the language setting, that some data were gone.
coco

Postby Valatunda » Tue 08.04.2009 12:11 am

Sending a notification with a reason to encourage members to add their native language and a link to this thread if there are any concerns I think would be good.

Also, if you’re going to implement those changes then perhaps that could be added to the notification too.
Valatunda

Postby Infidel » Tue 08.04.2009 1:26 am

forcing existing users seems wrong, but just advising everyone that it is there and requesting it doesn't. I'll go look myself at the settings, most users probably don't mess with the control panel much. I know I don't.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby phreadom » Tue 08.04.2009 8:36 am

Infidel wrote:forcing existing users seems wrong, but just advising everyone that it is there and requesting it doesn't. I'll go look myself at the settings, most users probably don't mess with the control panel much. I know I don't.

Would it be too pushy to force users to provide a native language setting when registering though? Right now it's an optional field, but it could be made mandatory on registration, or when a user tries to change their profile settings (that way it would only be an issue if they were already in editing their profile).

I tend to think that leaving it optional might be a the best route... I don't like forcing people to reveal things about themselves, even though knowing their native language might be helpful.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby coco » Tue 08.04.2009 8:59 am

I also have considered what is fair.
If it won't be mandatory for every member, it seems fair to keep it an optional field.

Thank you for posting your opinions, everyone. I could learn a lot from them. :)
coco

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 08.04.2009 9:13 am

I can't see why people shouldn't be forced to put their native language. This is a site for learning, it's not 4chan.
If people can't be troubled to write their native language, then they can just find somewhere else in my opinion.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby astaroth » Tue 08.04.2009 9:15 am

I think it's not pushy to make the "native language" field a requirement. As Becki was saying there are times it's hard to tell if the English if iffy because they're not native or because they're just plain lazy. A couple of times I thought a user was a non-native speaker from their writing (and suggested accordingly to look for textbooks in their own native language, since it makes sense to me that if one has a hard time understanding English studying a third language in English might not be the best plan of action ...)
Also I might add that I think most of the non-native English speakers in this forum have said field filled, since it makes sense for them (as well as for me) to make a sort of cautionary statement on the way they might write.
Those are my two cents ...
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions