Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Native Language Profile Setting

Native Language Profile Setting

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Re: Native Language Profile Setting

Postby coco » Tue 08.04.2009 9:42 am

It is sort of bitterness that members who know native language information is important for this kind of forums already filled in their language, while a member who doesn't care it will neither read this thread nor fill in that information. :mrgreen:
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby astaroth » Tue 08.04.2009 9:45 am

coco wrote:It is sort of bitterness that members who know native language information is important for this kind of forums already filled in their language, while a member who doesn't care it will neither read this thread nor fill in that information. :mrgreen:

I couldn't have said it better ... :)
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby phreadom » Tue 08.04.2009 10:43 am

"Native Language" is now a required field upon registration and will be required for any user attempting to modify their existing profiles. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 08.04.2009 11:42 am

I agree with the decision; I don't think that someone's native language is an especially private thing, and it's often rather important to know on the site.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Mystique » Tue 08.04.2009 6:07 pm

この提案はちょっと賛成しかねますね。TJPを利用している人の中には自分の正体を見せようとしない人がいるはずです。それに、自分の母語がプライベートな情報で、日本語学習を中心にするTJPには関係ないと私は思います。これを理解していただきたいのですが。
我が思わぬ、故に我が無し…
Mystique

Postby phreadom » Tue 08.04.2009 6:12 pm

Mystique wrote:この提案はちょっと賛成しかねますね。TJPを利用している人の中には自分の正体を見せようとしない人がいるはずです。それに、自分の母語がプライベートな情報で、日本語学習を中心にするTJPには関係ないと私は思います。これを理解していただきたいのですが。

While it is required to have something filled in, it doesn't specify a list you have to choose from. You can type something else in there if you choose. I could, for instance, change the help text for that input box to say "If you choose not to divulge your Native Language, please simply enter 'NA' or similar."

Would that help?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 08.04.2009 6:21 pm

Mystique wrote:この提案はちょっと賛成しかねますね。TJPを利用している人の中には自分の正体を見せようとしない人がいるはずです。それに、自分の母語がプライベートな情報で、日本語学習を中心にするTJPには関係ないと私は思います。これを理解していただきたいのですが。

Native language is often evident anyway; it's not really something you can hide for that long. It can be relevant in several cases -- I've seen people get insulted and criticized here for their English because the person didn't know they were a non-native speaker, and of course it's very important to know if someone is a native Japanese speaker.

But I think the current way is a good compromise; it requires you to answer the question (thus indicating that we do consider the answer important), but provides a way to give a non-committal answer.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby NocturnalOcean » Tue 08.04.2009 6:24 pm

First of all, I don't find saying your mother tongue a very private thing. What are they afraid of?
Secondly, and more importantly. The mother tongue does have relation with learning Japanese. In fact it's very vital for whatever second language you try to learn. If we members on the forum are aware of the poster's mother tongue, we will more easily be able to understand the reasoning behind the post, and also maybe be able to offer more advice relating it to their mother tongue.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Infidel » Tue 08.04.2009 7:04 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I agree with the decision; I don't think that someone's native language is an especially private thing, and it's often rather important to know on the site.

I agree with the current policy too. It also seems that making this information mandatory will also bring it more strongly to the user's attention. Speaking for myself, the field might have even been available last time I opened up my profile, and I just didn't notice it. All those fields requesting AIM, ICQ# etc, make my brain lable all the information below as optional/useless and I overlook everything below.

Maybe if we put the important stuff on top and the unimportant, more optional stuff on the bottom it would encourage more people to fill in those blanks.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby coco » Tue 08.04.2009 8:35 pm

phreadom wrote:

While it is required to have something filled in, it doesn't specify a list you have to choose from. You can type something else in there if you choose. I could, for instance, change the help text for that input box to say "If you choose not to divulge your Native Language, please simply enter 'NA' or similar."

Would that help?

Yes, I understand that there are some members who don't want to tell their native languages. So I suggested that NA could be one of choices. I think it is great that the text for the input box says "If you choose not to divulge your Native Language, please simply enter 'NA' or similar." :)

Now your "User Control Panel" says;
Any fields marked with a * must be completed.

Native Language*
Please let us know your native language: Ex.
English; 日本語 If you would rather keep your
Native Language private, please enter "NA"
instead. Thank you.

( I'm also curious to know an answer a spammer will have to fill in. )
Thank you Phreadom-san. Thank you all for posting your opinions.
--
If you have any opinion, please post yours. I would appreciate. :)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Valatunda » Wed 08.05.2009 4:16 am

Putting NA is no different than not putting anything at all. You either have everyone state their native language or you might as well keep things as they were before.
Valatunda

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 08.05.2009 4:22 am

Valatunda wrote:Putting NA is no different than not putting anything at all. You either have everyone state their native language or you might as well keep things as they were before.

Not true. Because putting NA means making a willing decision to not state your language.
If it was not a required item, then post people would gloss over it and not even think about putting in their native language (like me). But if it is a required item, then I'll at least take the time to think about whether I want to display my native language or not.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Valatunda » Wed 08.05.2009 4:41 am

Yes, some may be more encouraged, but you still won’t know their native language if they put NA. So what is the difference?

All of those who look at that option could still not tell their native language, which I thought was the point.
Valatunda

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.05.2009 8:12 am

The point is to communicate that we consider native language an important thing to know, rather than just a random piece of information like ICQ# or the like. That way people won't skip the field out of laziness or belief that it's not important. But if there is someone who really does not want to state their language, they can have the option of not doing so.

There's really no other way to do it, unless you want to take time to make a drop-down menu containing all languages in the world.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Valatunda » Wed 08.05.2009 8:23 am

All right, I see now.
Valatunda

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions