Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Postby KINGZ » Wed 08.05.2009 11:57 am

First off I'm having my first baby girl in January :shock: So this is it, no more kids... anywho, I get to name her, and I want something related to Japanese. I like Sakura, (cherry blossom) さくら 桜, (Sakura Raing Jackson)but my wife hates it, and I think its just becuase it Janaese, i relly dont care :wink: So I want to look at some other names but need some help.

Lookng for
1. Japanese
2. Girl Name
3. Kanji
4. Hiragana
5. Sound file, (Yea I know this is a hard one, I like to hear other ppl pronounce it, with my southern breading I put to much America accent in it) I can provide an email to send it to if you can help here.

When all said in done, Ill pick out 5 or so I like and put it to a vote, who knows you may come up with my baby girls name....

Thank You
KINGZ
KINGZ

Re: Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 08.05.2009 3:57 pm

First, Congratulations! We just had our first in June and he's more wonderful (and more work) than we ever could have imagined. I hope you're blessed with a healthy, happy baby.

Now, about the names. Is the baby going to grow up in the States? If so you probably don't want to give them a name that is too exotic, weird or foreign-sounding as it will just invite mispronunciation, and possibly teasing. There are a lot of Japanese girls' names that are also English girls’ names, so then you get the best of both worlds.

How about these: Naomi (直美/なおみ), Erika (絵里香/えりか), Anna (杏奈/あんな), Julia (樹梨亜/じゅりあ), June (純/じゅん), Emily (恵美梨/えみり), Maria(麻理亜/まりあ), May/Mei (皐月/めい), Lena/Reina (玲奈/れいな)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby KINGZ » Thu 08.06.2009 11:57 am

I do like Naomi (直美/なおみ) other then spelled backwards I Moan. but that was on my list too.

here are some other names too, I was thinking about, but most of them my be way to out there for the US, but most of the names where picked based on meaning

Naomi直美
Sakura 桜
Hitomi 瞳
Kasumi 霞
Katsumi 勝美
Kimiko 君子
Kiyomi 清見
Masuyo 益世
Misaki 美咲
Reiko 麗子
Sumiko 澄子
Yasuko 康子
KINGZ

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 08.06.2009 1:42 pm

KINGZ wrote:I do like Naomi (直美/なおみ) other then spelled backwards I Moan. but that was on my list too.

given enough time, any child/adolescent will find a way to make fun of a name.. You can't stop that, it's innevitable.

However, in the end, the name you give your child is personal and it doesn't matter a flying squirrel what any of us really say or think about that name. Go with your guy, or if you believe in a higher power, pray to them for some guidance, either way, I wish you the best and while it doesn't really matter, I think some of the names that you have picked out are very nice.. :mrgreen: :wink:
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 08.06.2009 2:31 pm

Don't condemn your daughter to a lifetime of answering the same stupid question over and over and over and over and over.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 08.06.2009 3:49 pm

I agree. If neither you nor your wife is Japanese, I think it's a really bad idea to give them an Japanese name.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby KINGZ » Thu 08.06.2009 4:58 pm

Let me rephrase this, this is my first girl, but not my first child, we have combine to large family into one, and unusual names seem to be the order for some of them

Kids names:
Zachery 16 (Hebrew) does not rank in the top 2000 in the US
Dakota 15 (American) us rank 257 currently
Onyx 12 (Greek) Does not rank in the top 2000 in the US
Christopher 9 (Greek) us rank 12 currently
Isaiah 8 (Hebrew) us rank 61 currently
Zoey 6 (Greek) us rank 221 currently
Hana 5 (Japanese, Korean, & Arabic) us rank 1260 currently

Let’s see out off all these names, only one is American..... The US is one of the most diverse countries in the world, besides you can take a look at a very few Japanese names that are common now and they are did not originate from Japan.

Look at Sakura, yes it is of Japanese origin, but it’s used as a name in most English speaking countries... then you turn around as a person name Naomi is not even Japanese origin for ppl names. So it does not matter where the name comes from, I like the way Japanese names sounds and looking for something different,
Last edited by KINGZ on Fri 08.07.2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

Postby coco » Thu 08.06.2009 8:13 pm

Excuse me, but may I ask your first language?
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby KINGZ » Fri 08.07.2009 10:31 am

Southern English :oops: , sorry for the bad post, was in a hurry, did not proof read my typos.. back to topic...
KINGZ

Postby coco » Fri 08.07.2009 7:58 pm

KINGZ wrote:.. back to topic...

Okay.
KINGZ wrote:First off I'm having my first baby girl in January :shock: So this is it, no more kids... anywho, I get to name her, and I want something related to Japanese. I like Sakura, (cherry blossom) さくら 桜, (Sakura Raing Jackson)but my wife hates it, and I think its just becuase it Janaese, i relly dont care :wink:

First of all, you are supposed to ask your wife why she hates the name Sakura. If she hates it because of it's Japanese, as you pointed it out, I think it is better to give up your idea of naming her as if she is a Japanese person.

A child should be named something that their both parents love it.

A given name of child shows parents' affection toward their child.
In my opinion, it also shows an intellectual level of their parents which is supposed to have been developed by a cultural and educational environment of their parents.

Few years ago, I heard a story from my friend who was engaged in education in a college.
One of his students was named ミニー, her older brother was named ミッキー. Their mother loved The Disneyland that much. She told my friend how much she had hated her name, and said she would re-name herself before hunting a job.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby AJBryant » Fri 08.07.2009 9:17 pm

KINGZ wrote:Zachery 16 (Hebrew) does not rank in the top 2000 in the US
Dakota 15 (American) us rank 257 currently
Onyx 12 (Greek) Does not rank in the top 2000 in the US
Christopher 9 (Greek) us rank 12 currently
Isaiah 8 (Hebrew) us rank 61 currently
Zoey 6 (Greek) us rank 221 currently
Hana 5 (Japanese, Korean, & Arabic) us rank 1260 currently

Let’s see out off all these names, only one is American.

Ummm... Dude.

The only name that is wonky in that list is "Onyx". The rest of them are perfectly normal Western European/English names. Okay, except for Dakota. I'm not going to flog you for naming a kid after a state, although every time I meet someone named Dakota or Montana or whatever, I have to fight not to roll my eyes. It seems to be all the rage for a certain type of people these days. And maybe the wonky spelling of what most people would expect to be Hannah. And the slightly unusual "most people don't know how to pronounce the name so I'll stick a -y at the end of it" Zoe. But other than Onyx and Dakota, these are all perfectly normal names that have been common in Western Europe, and our history and literature, for millenia.

Now you suggest throwing an alien Temujin or Leiliolani or a Haneul into the mix without the obvious connection of an ethnic tie.

Might as well go with "Moon-Unit," "Dweezil," or "Orangejello."

Tony

(Sorry, guy, but I have long been on rants about parents who want to name their kids "cool" or "unique" things or use "creative" spellings, instead of just giving them a nice normal name that would not prompt people to stare at their job applications or credit cards and wonder, "what the hell were your parents smoking?")
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Fri 08.07.2009 10:33 pm

AJBryant wrote:(Sorry, guy, but I have long been on rants about parents who want to name their kids "cool" or "unique" things or use "creative" spellings, instead of just giving them a nice normal name that would not prompt people to stare at their job applications or credit cards and wonder, "what the hell were your parents smoking?")

I can't help but wonder how many potential employers never bothered to call in an applicant because they weren't sure how to pronounce the name. I'm sure it has had an effect whether people admit it or not.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby ニッキー » Fri 08.07.2009 11:07 pm

AJBryant wrote:And the slightly unusual "most people don't know how to pronounce the name so I'll stick a -y at the end of it" Zoe.

Is Zoe an uncommon name in America? It seems a bit odd to me that people wouldn't know how to pronounce it, but I guess that's because it's a really common name in the UK (it's been in the top 100 names every year for at least the last 8 years).
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby Sairana » Fri 08.07.2009 11:59 pm

ニッキー wrote:Is Zoe an uncommon name in America? It seems a bit odd to me that people wouldn't know how to pronounce it, but I guess that's because it's a really common name in the UK (it's been in the top 100 names every year for at least the last 8 years).

I had a girl in my class growing up named Zoe. Everyone pronounced it as though it rhymed with "Joe"... including her parents and herself. Years later, when one of the kids stations ran a show called "Zoe 101" did I ever hear it pronounced correctly.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby phreadom » Sat 08.08.2009 6:33 am

Neither my girlfriend nor I have ever met a Zoe personally, but we're both familiar with the name and its pronunciation. It's common enough.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion