Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: Japanese Girl Names, New baby!

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 08.08.2009 8:03 am

I've never seen Zachary spelled "Zachery" before.

And as regards "Naomi", it is just a coincidence that it appears to be both a Japanese and an English name. The two are pronounced nothing alike. To my mind, that would be the worst choice of the whole bunch. Especially if you are thinking of using the English spelling combined with the Japanese pronunciation. Then she really would spend her entire life annoyed at people innocently mispronouncing her name.

What's wrong with a good solid traditional American name like "Shanequa"?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Disco » Sat 08.08.2009 10:29 pm

Onyx hmm.... go with geodude next. Or maybe pikachu?(JOKE) Or maybe Reisha, Flor, Felix, Kody, Travis, Logan, Clementine, Yui, Genesis, Summer, Star, Sunsine, Tuesday, left, duck, sponge, anything!. I appreciate you trying to give your kids creative names. Who wants a name that a million other people have? My first name is William (bleh). I'm changing it when I'm older, but not to something Japanese. Because although I'm learning the language, I am not of Japanese descent. And to adopt a Japanese name would be looked upon as "weaboo"-ish and/or "posalicious". Who cares what other people think, but it's just not who I am.
我輩はただの英国紳士でございます
Disco

Postby coco » Sat 08.08.2009 10:50 pm

I was wondering whether or not KINGZ-san would be pleased when he had to rename himself as if he was Japanese.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby CajunCoder » Sun 08.09.2009 1:19 am

Mike Cash wrote:I've never seen Zachary spelled "Zachery" before.

And as regards "Naomi", it is just a coincidence that it appears to be both a Japanese and an English name. The two are pronounced nothing alike. To my mind, that would be the worst choice of the whole bunch. Especially if you are thinking of using the English spelling combined with the Japanese pronunciation. Then she really would spend her entire life annoyed at people innocently mispronouncing her name.

I know someone named Naomi. She, and everyone around her pronounces it ナオミ, despite having no connection with the Japanese name. How else do people pronounce it?

Anyway, as for the original topic...

KINGZ, if neither you nor your wife are Japanese, and your daughter is not growing up in Japan, I don't think it's very good taste to give her a Japanese name. Even if she became interested in Japanese, and went to Japan, (both unlikely, if she grows up detesting her name), I think people would still find her name a bit weird.

People's names, in part, affect their self-image, so please choose a name not with "what's cool" in mind, but with something that your daughter would want grow up with.
CajunCoder

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 08.09.2009 1:25 am

CajunCoder wrote:I know someone named Naomi. She, and everyone around her pronounces it ナオミ, despite having no connection with the Japanese name. How else do people pronounce it?

With the "Na" pronounced like the first syllable of "neighbor".

People's names, in part, affect their self-image, so please choose a name not with "what's cool" in mind, but with something that your daughter would want grow up with.

As long as he refrains from giving her some name that foreshadows employment involving a brass pole I suppose we should just count our blessings.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.09.2009 9:04 am

I know a Japanese person with two Japanese parents, but she grew up mostly in the US, and her name is 尚美(なおみ) -- she pronounces it "nay-oh-mee" when talking to people who do not speak Japanese, and ナオミ when talking in Japanese.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Mon 08.10.2009 1:58 am

One of my favorite Japanese girl's names is "Akane." Don't know why, I just like it. (Although the color is also pretty.)

I can't imagine doing that to a daughter I would raise in America, though.

I always figured if I had a daughter, I'd go with Naomi or Risa.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby astaroth » Mon 08.10.2009 7:43 am

AJBryant wrote:I always figured if I had a daughter, I'd go with Naomi or Risa.

Though a girl named Risa might go to a tough time if she will ever meet Trekkers ...
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.10.2009 8:43 am

Mike Cash wrote:

well, it's obvious you've been gone from the US for awhile. It's Shawneequah now.. and you better put your hands on your hips and roll your head around and snap your finger when you say that..
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Tue 08.11.2009 2:58 am

astaroth wrote:

Though a girl named Risa might go to a tough time if she will ever meet Trekkers ...

I'd give her a shirt saying "Keep the jamaharon away from me." :twisted:
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby astaroth » Tue 08.11.2009 9:41 am

AJBryant wrote:
astaroth wrote:

I'd give her a shirt saying "Keep the jamaharon away from me." :twisted:

That will work! :lol:
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 08.11.2009 9:47 am

AJBryant wrote:One of my favorite Japanese girl's names is "Akane." Don't know why, I just like it. (Although the color is also pretty.)

I think Akane is a nice name too. Many people would probably pronounce it to rhyme with a failed presidential candidate's name however.
Gundaetiapo

Postby KINGZ » Tue 08.11.2009 12:05 pm

Let’s see where to start.... :lol:

Onyx, I had nothing to do with naming her, the name is common in Greece. I don’t know why she named her child the color black, but she loves her name. I myself have the most common name in the US current for the last 10 years at number one, but I was named Jacob long time before it was even in the top 100, now it’s been in the top 10 since like 1990. And the #1 spot since 2000. That shows that names that are uncommon today can change in a few years.

Yes, and I do know how names can mess with kids and want to change it, my brother had his name changed, his name was Jesse Jackson, but that was before the rev Jesse Jackson was famous. So my folks changed his name when he was 10 or so. Even my name was changed when I was like 8. But it was a middle name.

As for common names, I’m not looking for common names. I looking for names with meaning to them more then anything, and let’s face it, most American names don’t have meaning. Also lets face it, the more common a name is for a kid, the more likely the kid will fall in line like the other sheep. Japan already has this problem in my opinion. I’m a engineer and I have been taught, trained, and condition to think out side the box and not to be trapped by common thinking, I have found ppl with different names in the US also seem to follow that out side the box thinking more or less and have never let a name get in the way of hiring a good engineer.

As for my wife, she loves the name Naomi, and a few of the others on the list, and some that was listed by other here. As she told me, I have 100% say so on the baby name (which we all know is a trap :roll: )
KINGZ

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 08.11.2009 3:14 pm

KINGZ wrote:Let’s see where to start.... :lol:

Onyx, I had nothing to do with naming her, the name is common in Greece. I don’t know why she named her child the color black, but she loves her name. I myself have the most common name in the US current for the last 10 years at number one, but I was named Jacob long time before it was even in the top 100, now it’s been in the top 10 since like 1990. And the #1 spot since 2000. That shows that names that are uncommon today can change in a few years.

Yes, and I do know how names can mess with kids and want to change it, my brother had his name changed, his name was Jesse Jackson, but that was before the rev Jesse Jackson was famous. So my folks changed his name when he was 10 or so. Even my name was changed when I was like 8. But it was a middle name.

As for common names, I’m not looking for common names. I looking for names with meaning to them more then anything, and let’s face it, most American names don’t have meaning. Also lets face it, the more common a name is for a kid, the more likely the kid will fall in line like the other sheep. Japan already has this problem in my opinion. I’m a engineer and I have been taught, trained, and condition to think out side the box and not to be trapped by common thinking, I have found ppl with different names in the US also seem to follow that out side the box thinking more or less and have never let a name get in the way of hiring a good engineer.

As for my wife, she loves the name Naomi, and a few of the others on the list, and some that was listed by other here. As she told me, I have 100% say so on the baby name (which we all know is a trap :roll: )

I think that's alot of unhealthy generalizing going on there. this might sound harsh, but it appears you lack the same thing that you are attempting to instill in your unborn child. Meh, asking people on a forum about what name is good or bad is like asking people which is better toilet paper over the top or toilet paper from the bottom as it comes off the roll. everyone has a different opinion about even though there are normally only two ways to do it.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby KINGZ » Tue 08.11.2009 5:12 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:I think that's alot of unhealthy generalizing going on there. this might sound harsh, but it appears you lack the same thing that you are attempting to instill in your unborn child. Meh, asking people on a forum about what name is good or bad is like asking people which is better toilet paper over the top or toilet paper from the bottom as it comes off the roll. everyone has a different opinion about even though there are normally only two ways to do it.. lol

To start off, I never ask anyone to name a baby if you read my first post (please read before post), I ask ppl to list some girl names originated in Japan they like. Since there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of names in Japanese, it would help to develop a list, hoping that I may find something different I like. I never ask anyone opinion on it, but opinions are like A... everyone has one. LOL JK :lol:
KINGZ

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion